Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah my family has a goldendoodle and he requires so much attention
I thought ramen was easy to cook

Edit: nvm, thought it said "goldennoodle"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing a biology capstone (which will require no work because I'm doing the research project and writing the paper this summer), astronomy, environmental law, introduction to Caribbean literature, and biochemistry II.
Great selection. Environmental law is really cool. SO many acronyms, though.

I thought ramen was easy to cook

Edit: nvm, thought it said "goldennoodle"

Once I was at the ice cream store with my dog when he was a puppy, and a lady came up and asked what kind of dog he was and I said "goldendoodle". Five minutes later I hear her talking to her friend and she's like "you see that dog over there? It's called a golden noodle".

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's your school list @Lannister? What's the point of having MDApps if no school list :shifty:

Oh I tried to add a school list but it wouldn't let me because I have a new MCAT score and you can't add an app cycle without MCAT scores lol.
My provisional list:
Baylor
Boston University
Case Western
Creighton
Dartmouth
George Washington University
Georgetown
Loyola University Chicago
Mayo (lol)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Tufts
University of Chicago
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Illinois
University of Michigan
University of Rochester
University of Wisconsin
Yale

I'm still waiting for my actual MCAT score, but I'm not sure if the list will change at all if I get 88th percentile vs 99th percentile. And I've gotten minimal input on my list so idk, I dunno if it's a good list.

Once I was at the ice cream store with my dog when he was a puppy, and a lady came up and asked what kind of dog he was and I said "goldendoodle". Five minutes later I hear her talking to her friend and she's like "you see that dog over there? It's called a golden noodle".
Lol. My dog's name is Seamus. One time, a little kid asked what his name was, and we told him, and then he went "Hi Shamen!"

Now our dog almost exclusively goes by Shamen, though we also call him Shamwow, Shamoo, Shambies, Shamoozie, Shea, Shambeezies, and, of course, Puppy.

Lol. My dog's name is Seamus. One time, a little kid asked what his name was, and we told him, and then he went "Hi Shamen!"

Now our dog almost exclusively goes by Shamen, though we also call him Shamwow, Shamoo, Shambies, Shamoozie, Shea, Shambeezies, and, of course, Puppy.

Ahaha that's so cute! What kind of dog?

He's a weird, unknown mix. We think he's a dacshund/JRT mix. I'm not sure what you'd call that? We rescued him! He's pretty tiny though- about 13 lbs.

Aww I love daschunds! Especially the long-haired ones, so cute.
BTW, I was stalking the April MCAT thread (congrats on your incredible score btw) and saw someone say that you are a Blackhawks fan? :D I still have not come down from the high, I'm listening to We Are the Champions on repeat atm and trying to resist dropping $170 on a jersey. I already have a Sharp jersey sweatshirt thing, but I really want a Crawford or Keith jersey :'(

Aww I love daschunds! Especially the long-haired ones, so cute.
BTW, I was stalking the April MCAT thread (congrats on your incredible score btw) and saw someone say that you are a Blackhawks fan? :D I still have not come down from the high, I'm listening to We Are the Champions on repeat atm and trying to resist dropping $170 on a jersey. I already have a Sharp jersey sweatshirt thing, but I really want a Crawford or Keith jersey :'(
Yeah I am! I have a Thibault jersey and a blank one. I really wanted to get a Crawford one, but they didn't have them in women's when my parents were buying me one! Agreed, between my score and the Cup, I'm on cloud 9 right now. Only thing is I'm sick, so I've been in bed all day (that's why I'm posting so much-I swear I have a life normally!)

Oh I tried to add a school list but it wouldn't let me because I have a new MCAT score and you can't add an app cycle without MCAT scores lol.
My provisional list:
Baylor
Boston University
Case Western
Creighton
Dartmouth
George Washington University
Georgetown
Loyola University Chicago
Mayo (lol)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Tufts
University of Chicago
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Illinois
University of Michigan
University of Rochester
University of Wisconsin
Yale

I'm still waiting for my actual MCAT score, but I'm not sure if the list will change at all if I get 88th percentile vs 99th percentile. And I've gotten minimal input on my list so idk, I dunno if it's a good list.
I think that's a good list! I actually haven't finalized my list. I've applied for my state schools/"good shots" but still have yet to pick and choose my reaches. Hence my eyeroll worthy MDapps...I wanted my list to be in alphabetical order so I figured it was easier to delete schools rather than redo my whole list later, lol

Yeah I am! I have a Thibault jersey and a blank one. I really wanted to get a Crawford one, but they didn't have them in women's when my parents were buying me one! Agreed, between my score and the Cup, I'm on cloud 9 right now. Only thing is I'm sick, so I've been in bed all day (that's why I'm posting so much-I swear I have a life normally!)

If I do buy one I'm definitely going to buy a men's cuz I think the women's look weird, but they have no small men's for Crawford on the NHL website :( Maybe I will just wait until Sharp's contract is up to get a jersey (1 more year...sadness). I wonder if he'll be traded, there are some pretty nasty rumors going around about him :p
And I hope you feel better!!

I think that's a good list! I actually haven't finalized my list. I've applied for my state schools/"good shots" but still have yet to pick and choose my reaches. Hence my eyeroll worthy MDapps...I wanted my list to be in alphabetical order so I figured it was easier to delete schools rather than redo my whole list later, lol

Thanks! I am thinking I should probably just add those schools to AMCAS now, because honestly even if I get 88th percentile I will probably still keep most of the reaches and maybe add a few more mid-tiers. I kind of wanted to cut the list down to 20 but I don't think that's happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do buy one I'm definitely going to buy a men's cuz I think the women's look weird, but they have no small men's for Crawford on the NHL website :( Maybe I will just wait until Sharp's contract is up to get a jersey (1 more year...sadness). I wonder if he'll be traded, there are some pretty nasty rumors going around about him :p
And I hope you feel better!!
Thank you!

I have DDs, so the men's jerseys make me look like a barrel, for some reason. The Women's jerseys accommodate boobs a bit better, I feel, so that's why I decided to go with that for my most recent one. But yeah you really can't go wrong with a core 7 jersey! (Though Kane and Toews jerseys are like the hallmark of a bandwagon fan)

Thank you!

I have DDs, so the men's jerseys make me look like a barrel, for some reason. The Women's jerseys accommodate boobs a bit better, I feel, so that's why I decided to go with that for my most recent one. But yeah you really can't go wrong with a core 7 jersey! (Though Kane and Toews jerseys are like the hallmark of a bandwagon fan)

Hahaha I see. I am trying to avoid the Kane and Toews jerseys because I feel like everyone has them, but I do love Captain Serious. I'd also consider Hjalmarsson. But I want to get one for a player who's going to be on the Hawks for a while cuz I can't afford to buy one and then have the player leave lol.

So I just facetimed my mom to talk about my medical school list and she answered the facetime call while she was driving. *sigh* I feel like I lack positive adult influences in my life.

Hahaha I see. I am trying to avoid the Kane and Toews jerseys because I feel like everyone has them, but I do love Captain Serious. I'd also consider Hjalmarsson. But I want to get one for a player who's going to be on the Hawks for a while cuz I can't afford to buy one and then have the player leave lol.
How about Keith?

How about Keith?

Actually he was my top choice until five minutes ago when I saw this picture and got scared.
duncan-keith-1.jpg

Lol. In terms of attractiveness, I find Shaw to be SUPER hot. Idk why.

Ewww. No. Sharp is definitely the most attractive. I will never understand why people find Toews attractive, he's so ugly.

"Patrick Sharp, why are you so beautiful?"

Ewww. No. Sharp is definitely the most attractive. I will never understand why people find Toews attractive, he's so ugly.
Oh yeah well Sharp's a given, and then I go Shaw. It's not really fair to include Sharp in these comparisons though, so I cut him out. Toews is not that attractive, but he's better looking than Kane! Then again, I don't like blond guys generally.

Oh yeah well Sharp's a given, and then I go Shaw. It's not really fair to include Sharp in these comparisons though, so I cut him out. Toews is not that attractive, but he's better looking than Kane! Then again, I don't like blond guys generally.

My friend is in love with Kane and I always laugh at her when she says he's attractive because ew, no.

LOL I tried to google "most attractive Hawks" and it came up with a bunch of pictures of birds.

See, last night was fun, but also depressing.

No matter what I accomplish in my path to becoming a doctor, it will never be as great as winning a Stanley Cup.

See, last night was fun, but also depressing.

No matter what I accomplish in my path to becoming a doctor, it will never be as great as winning a Stanley Cup.

I can't stop thinking that, either. Teravainen is 20 years old. TWENTY! He's younger than me by two weeks, and he's won the Stanley Cup!

I can't stop thinking that, either. Teravainen is 20 years old. TWENTY! He's younger than me by two weeks, and he's won the Stanley Cup!
Legally, he can't even drink to celebrate this victory.

Lannister, didn't even realize it was you w/o your avvie--GOT ends and Blackhawks win, changing of the seasons, eh?

Lannister, didn't even realize it was you w/o your avvie--GOT ends and Blackhawks win, changing of the seasons, eh?

Hahaha yes. I shall change it back once the excitement of winning the cup dies down. Probably on Thursday, when I'll be upset as I'm watching all my FB friends post pictures of the parade that I can't go to.

Has anyone considered getting a pet in med school? I'm sitting here watching this adorable corgi puppy play on the quad and I want to steal it so bad. I don't think having a dog in med school is a very good idea though... Maybe I'll get a cat. I just wish I wasn't allergic to them.

I have a dog already (Bichon) and I've fretted a lot about where I can live and still keep her and who will take her or to potty if I'm gone longer than a regular day. She's old and lazy is she doesn't need or want a lot of walks or trips to the park but she of course needs to be able to take a bathroom break. We have those potty pads for her now in case of emergency but I hate to just have that be her usual thing.

She's chill so when I get some more time I want to get her certified as a therapy dog. There's only one required command she isn't already familiar with (being told to stay put from a great distance) so it shouldn't be too hard to pass the test. Then we can visit hospitals. Everyone likes to pet a cute dog!

One of my readers is killing me. I was poised to submit on the 18th but it's been extended to tomorrow at the earliest because I've gone through several drafts with her since then. This is totally my fault though for not giving her enough time. Also she's reading all three MD/PhD essays instead of just the PS. I just want to move on with my life!

One of my readers is killing me. I was poised to submit on the 18th but it's been extended to tomorrow at the earliest because I've gone through several drafts with her since then. This is totally my fault though for not giving her enough time. Also she's reading all three MD/PhD essays instead of just the PS. I just want to move on with my life!
You got this!!! It will be over soon, and then we can all look forward to even MORE essays...

Ok so 4/5 of my letter writers have turned in their letters. I'm still waiting on my freaking humanities letter though! It's super weird because when I first asked her (beginning of April), she was very enthusiastic, but said to give her my materials before Memorial Day since she was going to have a grandson soon and she wanted to get in done before that. After I turned in my final paper, she sent me an email saying how great I'd been in her class and how much she genuinely enjoyed having me as a student, and she said she "looked forward to starting the letter." I haven't heard anything from her, so this week I sent her a gentle reminder, which I thought was very warm in tone. She sent me this in response.

Ok. I will get it out & let you know when.
With apologies,
SN

Seems very curt! Hopefully she is just super busy helping her daughter with her new grandchild. I'm a little worried though...

Ok so 4/5 of my letter writers have turned in their letters. I'm still waiting on my freaking humanities letter though! It's super weird because when I first asked her (beginning of April), she was very enthusiastic, but said to give her my materials before Memorial Day since she was going to have a grandson soon and she wanted to get in done before that. After I turned in my final paper, she sent me an email saying how great I'd been in her class and how much she genuinely enjoyed having me as a student, and she said she "looked forward to starting the letter." I haven't heard anything from her, so this week I sent her a gentle reminder, which I thought was very warm in tone. She sent me this in response.

Ok. I will get it out & let you know when.
With apologies,
SN

Seems very curt! Hopefully she is just super busy helping her daughter with her new grandchild. I'm a little worried though...

It's not curt since she apologized to you for it being late. Relax a bit.

Hey guys, nice to meet you all! (The following post will be a sort-of rant):

I'm having a bad day — I was volunteering at a hospital and a tech and administrative assistant (I'm not quite sure what their title is, but they schedule exams for patients) started talking about how residents these days didn't think hard enough, didn't have enough life experiences, had no common sense, and kind of sucked all around. They kept trying to give me advice, such as being nice to nurses and traveling before medical school. Somewhere along the line I started feeling personally attacked because these two people were both talking at me at the same time and one of them straight up told me that she thought I'd be one of those horrible doctors because I didn't seem to really be taking their advice. That was kind of sucky because she's new and I've probably only interacted with her for a maximum of 6 hours. I understand that they're probably also stressed (apparently the new residents recently started) and may feel talked down upon and under-appreciated. Still, it's a bit of a slap in the face when I've been volunteering in the same place for almost two years now — yes, I originally started volunteering because I "had to", but I definitely liked it enough to keep coming back and I (usually) look forward to going!

Also @chocoholicsoxfan, I wouldn't worry too much about the email — maybe your professor is a bit embarrassed that she's been procrastinating for that long?

@enchantediris Dude that sucks, that lady sounds like a *****. I've gotten so much attitude from nurses and secretaries at the hospital, too. But oh well, I guess we just have to learn to not let it get to us!

If it makes you feel any better, I mentioned to the secretary on my floor that "it looks quiet up here tonight!" and got yelled at by her and every nurse who overheard. Lesson learned, apparently that's something you never say in a hospital. :laugh:

@enchantediris Dude that sucks, that lady sounds like a *****. I've gotten so much attitude from nurses and secretaries at the hospital, too. But oh well, I guess we just have to learn to not let it get to us!

Yeah, I definitely have to work on taking things less personally! I think she's had to deal with her fair share of fresh-out-of-school residents who think they're better than everyone else because they're doctors so I can kind of see where she's coming from. I was just very confused because I was drafting a lab report in the downtime and got caught up in a rant! I'm not super looking forward to going back next week, but I do like the new volunteer who also has my shift so it probably won't be so bad.

Haha and yeah, as soon as you say that it's quiet, things inevitably start picking up again :p

Yeah, I definitely have to work on taking things less personally! I think she's had to deal with her fair share of fresh-out-of-school residents who think they're better than everyone else because they're doctors so I can kind of see where she's coming from. I was just very confused because I was drafting a lab report in the downtime and got caught up in a rant! I'm not super looking forward to going back next week, but I do like the new volunteer who also has my shift so it probably won't be so bad.

Haha and yeah, as soon as you say that it's quiet, things inevitably start picking up again :p

Yeah I think it's unfortunate that people in the healthcare industry are all so disrespectful of each other. Doctors think they're superior and treat nurses like garbage, then the nurses take their frustration out on the students and volunteers. It's a vicious cycle.

Also @chocoholicsoxfan, I wouldn't worry too much about the email — maybe your professor is a bit embarrassed that she's been procrastinating for that long?
Hopefully that's it! To be honest, my main concern was that I hoped everything was okay with her new grandchild. I asked how she and her daughter were doing in my reminder email, and as you can see, she didn't address it. It's just such a stark contrast from her other emails, where she almost writes a little too much! Maybe she's just very busy?

Trust me, I'm not worried because I'm a neurotic premed- I tend to actually be the most relaxed out of all my premed friends, shocking as it may be :p I just didn't want to have her worry about writing me a letter if something stressful is happening with her new grandson.

Hopefully that's it! To be honest, my main concern was that I hoped everything was okay with her new grandchild. I asked how she and her daughter were doing in my reminder email, and as you can see, she didn't address it. It's just such a stark contrast from her other emails, where she almost writes a little too much! Maybe she's just very busy?

Trust me, I'm not worried because I'm a neurotic premed- I tend to actually be the most relaxed out of all my premed friends, shocking as it may be :p I just didn't want to have her worry about writing me a letter if something stressful is happening with her new grandson.

Oh I see! Her email does seem different in tone than her previous reactions to writing a LOR for you, although I still feel like it's probably more because she's gotten caught up with her grandson and forgot than anything you've done! It could be one of those situations where you know you should do something but you procrastinate and forget about it — then you feel guilty and keep putting it off... (spoken from true experience :p). I hope it sorts itself out soon!

Also, if anyone is looking for a fun summer movie, I definitely recommend Inside Out (especially if you like neuroscience)! I saw it yesterday and it was so great!

Also I apologize for using so many exclamation points... when I write emails I usually have to proofread them to prevent myself from using them too excessively :oops:

Also, if anyone is looking for a fun summer movie, I definitely recommend Inside Out (especially if you like neuroscience)! I saw it yesterday and it was so great!

Oo I've been meaning to go see that! I've seen so many great movies lately. I just watched Boyhood today, it was so amazing.

Also I apologize for using so many exclamation points... when I write emails I usually have to proofread them to prevent myself from using them too excessively :oops:
oh my god I thought I was the only one.
I instinctively start my email greetings with an exclamation mark and actively have to go back, delete, and replace with a comma :(

Hello all. Entering the fray. Still haven't solidified school list, but pre-writing secondaries nonetheless

So after having my primary verified...I realized that forgot to document two of my work experiences in the Activities Section. :scared::scared::scared: I did end up talking about one of these work experiences in my PS, but I guess I'll be making use of "anything else you'd like to tell us" prompts in some secondaries after all...

Does anyone know how else I could go about fixing this problem?

Yeah I think it's unfortunate that people in the healthcare industry are all so disrespectful of each other. Doctors think they're superior and treat nurses like garbage, then the nurses take their frustration out on the students and volunteers. It's a vicious cycle.

It's the main thing that kept me from settling on going into medicine for so long, actually. I volunteered in a hospital in high school and I was just blown away by how in-your-face crappy so many people were to each other and it made me afraid to ever go back.

Now that I'm older and meaner and I have some years of experience working in hospitals, @enchantediris I can firmly say it's got nothing to do with you and everything to do with the people you were talking to. This is a really specific attitude some people have where they seem to genuinely believe that it's a great injustice that they have to do stuff, and they like to blame everyone else for being stupid and incompetent but their real beef is with having to do anything in the first place. It's really bizarre.

Like, if someone takes a task to the person whose full on job it is to do that thing (like dropping off blood samples to the lab that only does liquid processing or asking the only person who's authorized to order supplies from a certain budget to order something for your group) and they'll sigh and stomp and roll their eyes about it before going around and griping to everyone else about how much that person sucks before they even consider actually doing it. It has nothing to do with what the task is, who asked for it, or how they asked. It's just how some people operate.

So after having my primary verified...I realized that forgot to document two of my work experiences in the Activities Section. :scared::scared::scared: I did end up talking about one of these work experiences in my PS, but I guess I'll be making use of "anything else you'd like to tell us" prompts in some secondaries after all...

you can't change AMCAS now. Your call on whether to add it in the secondaries, it's not what that space is usually for, though

If the activities are really important, you can send an update email to every school you are applying to once amcas data is transmitted on July 2nd.

So this thread is for people that are for sure going to get into a med school right?

In that case.....

:whoa: