Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha I am the opposite. I've got a nice pencil skirt but no blazer. You'll borrow my skirt and then I'll borrow your blazer.
I like that idea. Let's schedule our interviews now for perfect tradeoff!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sitting here listening to a presentation about applying to grad school. The lady is like, "You have to consider if you are willing to go to school for another 2-5 years". Hahahaha. I'd love to only have five more years of education left. Try like ten more years, for surgery.

I'm sitting here listening to a presentation about applying to grad school. The lady is like, "You have to consider if you are willing to go to school for another 2-5 years". Hahahaha. I'd love to only have five more years of education left. Try like ten more years, for surgery.

Primary care FTW :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I lost 35 lbs in the past year, so I'm swimming in all my old suits. That's another thing, too. I still wanna lose a bit more weight, so idk if I should wait to buy a suit or not.

I feel you there. I had a whole bunch of suits from high school debate and speech but when I ended up going to college I lost a lot of weight so I had to buy this suit last October. Thankfully I think that I've now reached what will be my weight for the foreseeable future, so I can start buying clothes (both fancy and not) without having to worry about replacing them soon haha.

My friend seriously can't decide between a full tuition scholarship at one of the Manhattan schools vs a partial scholarship at Duke. It's a 100k difference without taking into account interest. I wanna reach through the phone and smack some sense into her. Take the money, girl.

My friend seriously can't decide between a full tuition scholarship at one of the Manhattan schools vs a partial scholarship at Duke. It's a 100k difference without taking into account interest. I wanna reach through the phone and smack some sense into her. Take the money, girl.
...can I join in on this
me. want. nyc. skewl.

Reactions: 2 users
Random question but do most med schools give you a laptop or require you to purchase one?

Random question but do most med schools give you a laptop or require you to purchase one?

It depends on the school. Some give you a laptop or iPad, some give you an allowance or factor it into the CoA. I think most schools have their specific policy on their website.

It depends on the school. Some give you a laptop or iPad, some give you an allowance or factor it into the CoA. I think most schools have their specific policy on their website.
Thanks. I was looking of there was more a rule but I see its a school by school basis.

I feel you on the suits issue... I am waiting until secondaries are all in to get mine tailored.

I think I made of the mistake of shopping for business separates. Trying to find a jacket that's the same exact color and fabric as my pencil skirt and/or Ann Taylor dress is such a pain.:yeahright::yeahright::yeahright:

finally submitted! feeling like i am pushing the late end but hopefully prewriting will get me up there with all you early birds!

finally submitted! feeling like i am pushing the late end but hopefully prewriting will get me up there with all you early birds!

You are not pushing the late end, you'll still be sent in the first couple weeks of July

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's one: Has anyone been advised about whether a black suit is required or if any dark color is ok?

I'm told the black-suits-only thing is new and whenever we have resident and fellow interviews people make fun of how everyone is wearing the same suit. A lot of the people I work with have said they wish the interviewees would wear other colors (which used to be more normal) so they could actually tell people apart.

This kind of makes me want to wear a different color but then knowing I'm likely the only one who'll do it makes me afraid to try.

Here's one: Has anyone been advised about whether a black suit is required or if any dark color is ok?

I'm told the black-suits-only thing is new and whenever we have resident and fellow interviews people make fun of how everyone is wearing the same suit. A lot of the people I work with have said they wish the interviewees would wear other colors (which used to be more normal) so they could actually tell people apart.

This kind of makes me want to wear a different color but then knowing I'm likely the only one who'll do it makes me afraid to try.
Is that right? I recall reading the forums a while ago and LizzyM mentioning how it was nice that there was more variety in suit color last cycle. I have never heard black to be the requirement.

A black suit is nice as it fits many occasions but I always feel it gives the funeral vibe. I always liked a grey suit.

*raises from grave* I'm alive - I'm back!!! Took time away from the internet to concentrate on my MCAT and my applications.
Hoping I get accepted at this point and if not, I still have a back up plan.
As for outfits, I have no idea what to do. I do have a nice suit but I kinda want a new one and I don't know whether to wear a skirt or slacks. Plus: shoes. Heels? If so, how big of a heel? Or flats?
*stressing*

The interview attire threads are incredibly helpful. Also, @ridethecliche is a men's clothing expert. Personally, I'm going with a grey suit.

Last edited:
Is that right? I recall reading the forums a while ago and LizzyM mentioning how it was nice that there was more variety in suit color last cycle. I have never heard black to be the requirement.

No, it's never been an expectation, just that recently I'd heard (and seen for the higher level interviews) that everyone had gone to black for a noticeable number of years now such that I wondered if you would stand out too much if you didn't do it now. But it sounds like that might be fading away, woo!

The people I know who conduct interviews say they largely don't care what you wear as long as it doesn't stick out unfavorably somehow. Skirt or pants, flats or heels, exact suit cut or material are all things they purportedly don't even notice. One person I know who's been part of admissions for the big medical school here did say re: pants or skirts that the most important thing is to wear whatever is actually flattering on you and will be comfortable. If you have a wide stride and a skirt is going to trip you up, don't wear one. If you're like me and most slacks make you look hobbit-like, maybe don't do that. Same with the shoes, because they make you walk all over and people definitely notice when a candidate isn't comfortable in her shoes and has a rough time. This isn't the occasion to be breaking new ground with your wardrobe.

With the resident and fellow candidates I've seen a pretty even pants/skirt split and most wear very low heeled but not completely flat shoes. A few in each group will have high heels and a few will have flat-flats. The women in skirts do not wear pantyhose as far as I've ever seen but I haven't been close enough to tell on all of them. Not all of them wear collared dress shirts either, I've seen quite a few other blouses (albeit solid colors always) and I think I'll try it for myself since I am not a shape that looks good in a regular dress shirt.

If you're a guy, for the love of god don't wear a black suit to an interview. Black is for formal events (like weddings, funerals, high class parties, that sort of thing). For business events and interviews you're going to want to stick with charcoal, grey, or navy if you're bold enough

I'm personally going with a charcoal suit with a white shirt. If I want to stand out, I'll do a skinny tie with a clip, or maybe black wingtips

@heywhatsuphello Hm I'd definitely say black is the predominant suit color I've seen on men and women for both interviewees and on attendings at conferences & meetings, though not by a huge margin. Maybe like 70% black suits at conferences.

No, it's never been an expectation, just that recently I'd heard (and seen for the higher level interviews) that everyone had gone to black for a noticeable number of years now such that I wondered if you would stand out too much if you didn't do it now. But it sounds like that might be fading away, woo!

The people I know who conduct interviews say they largely don't care what you wear as long as it doesn't stick out unfavorably somehow. Skirt or pants, flats or heels, exact suit cut or material are all things they purportedly don't even notice. One person I know who's been part of admissions for the big medical school here did say re: pants or skirts that the most important thing is to wear whatever is actually flattering on you and will be comfortable. If you have a wide stride and a skirt is going to trip you up, don't wear one. If you're like me and most slacks make you look hobbit-like, maybe don't do that. Same with the shoes, because they make you walk all over and people definitely notice when a candidate isn't comfortable in her shoes and has a rough time. This isn't the occasion to be breaking new ground with your wardrobe.

With the resident and fellow candidates I've seen a pretty even pants/skirt split and most wear very low heeled but not completely flat shoes. A few in each group will have high heels and a few will have flat-flats. The women in skirts do not wear pantyhose as far as I've ever seen but I haven't been close enough to tell on all of them. Not all of them wear collared dress shirts either, I've seen quite a few other blouses (albeit solid colors always) and I think I'll try it for myself since I am not a shape that looks good in a regular dress shirt.
Oh, I see! And I agree with wearing what is most suitable and flattering. I mean, I feel better when I think I look good ;)
I find it very strange that the residents/fellows rarely wear pantyhose. I thought that was some kind of unspoken law to wear em!

For my committee interview we had to wear formal interview wear, which was annoying to find and buy at the time. Now I'm happy that I have a black/gray suit in my closet just waiting for an interview (ps med schools pls give me a chance to wear it)

Oh, I see! And I agree with wearing what is most suitable and flattering. I mean, I feel better when I think I look good ;)
I find it very strange that the residents/fellows rarely wear pantyhose. I thought that was some kind of unspoken law to wear em!

Some of the most (if not the most) vicious debates I have ever heard revolved around whether or not pantyhose are required for job interviews. There are very staunch opinions on both the pantyhose-are-dated and pantyhose-are-mandatory camps. I need to gather more info before I decide whether or not to wear them, but I have noticed a large proportion of bare legged women at these other interviews and no one mentions it so apparently it's not a felony.

Also, re: funeral black, @heywhatsuphello I got curious and talked to a few people about it and evidently a black suit can be acceptable but is considered a particularly dramatic statement going by general etiquette. The reason I see so much black is probably because I'm in a surgical specialty group and overall those are kind of notorious for being considered over-dressed and over the top by other specialties at our meetings (I've heard in the past anyway) so apparently that's the divide there. Flashy flashy over here I guess. On further reflection I do see a crapload of high gloss wingtips and etc as well. I actually own a pair myself...

Some of the most (if not the most) vicious debates I have ever heard revolved around whether or not pantyhose are required for job interviews. There are very staunch opinions on both the pantyhose-are-dated and pantyhose-are-mandatory camps. I need to gather more info before I decide whether or not to wear them, but I have noticed a large proportion of bare legged women at these other interviews and no one mentions it so apparently it's not a felony.

Haha I am definitely in the tights-are-mandatory group! Unless it's super super hot out and I'd be sweating through my tights, I would never ever go to a business casual/formal event with bare legs.

To me, I feel like my legs just look messy without tights. Every mosquito bite (I'm like a mosquito magnet), scratch, scab, bruise, and mole stands out.

I think I will probably go with charcoal suit/nude tights, given I get any interviews. Now what color shoes? I don't know! Probably nude or black, though I don't know which would look better.

Also, re: funeral black, @heywhatsuphello I got curious and talked to a few people about it and evidently a black suit can be acceptable but is considered a particularly dramatic statement going by general etiquette. The reason I see so much black is probably because I'm in a surgical specialty group and overall those are kind of notorious for being considered over-dressed and over the top by other specialties at our meetings (I've heard in the past anyway) so apparently that's the divide there. Flashy flashy over here I guess. On further reflection I do see a crapload of high gloss wingtips and etc as well. I actually own a pair myself...
That's interesting. I learned formal dressing from the business side of things so I guess it could be different amongst different specialties. I'm personally just gonna play it safe with the grey suit cause it goes well for any occasion that needs a suit haha. Although I do like the high gloss wingtips

They do look helpful, but are incredibly long. Is there a suit fitting guide (for women) somewhere in there?

I haven't read the women's interview clothing thread, but maybe there is something helpful there? I believe you can search the thread specifically using the search function in the top right. Also, google might yield some results, but I'm not going to google 'women's suit fitting guide' because I am at work and don't want my boss to ask me any questions :laugh:.

Haha I am definitely in the tights-are-mandatory group! Unless it's super super hot out and I'd be sweating through my tights, I would never ever go to a business casual/formal event with bare legs.

I've never understood the mandatory-ness for tights! I do have a pair that mostly match my skin tone and I wear that for interviews because I've always been told I should. I guess I just don't understand how scandalous bare legs are? :confused:

To me, I feel like my legs just look messy without tights. Every mosquito bite (I'm like a mosquito magnet), scratch, scab, bruise, and mole stands out.

I think I will probably go with charcoal suit/nude tights, given I get any interviews. Now what color shoes? I don't know! Probably nude or black, though I don't know which would look better.

Definitely black! I think skin tone colored shoes may be perceived as more trendy (although you could always ask Winged Scapula on the interview dress threads!).

That's interesting. I learned formal dressing from the business side of things so I guess it could be different amongst different specialties. I'm personally just gonna play it safe with the grey suit cause it goes well for any occasion that needs a suit haha. Although I do like the high gloss wingtips

I love me some wingtips. I regularly wear wider cut trousers with them now, but I feel like that's pushing it for an interview. I should probably be more ladylike. Boo. I would wear a tie if I felt like I could get away with it without people thinking I looked like I was cross dressing. Maybe if I were tall I could pull it off, but alas I am not.

I've never understood the mandatory-ness for tights! I do have a pair that mostly match my skin tone and I wear that for interviews because I've always been told I should. I guess I just don't understand how scandalous bare legs are? :confused:

Oh god it's beginning again, WHAT HAVE I DONE???

The conventional wisdom is that men cover their legs with trousers so it's weird for our legs to be all the way out. It's like matching formality. There are disagreements over whether or not people thing that makes sense, but that's the idea.

Almost forgot!! I submitted my AMCAS on June 10th and was notified it was verified today. Last announcement they gave was anything submitted by the 7th, but it looks like they're past that now.

Oh man. I just got back from shopping, and as it turns out, shopping for a suit in petites is MUCH harder than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to start early!

Reactions: 3 users
You think docs don't do that? i know an attending who's really really pretty and goes out clubbing, hooking up, and watching the whitest shows..but then comes back into the ED guns blazing and taking charge like a boss
if i were lesbian she'd be mine :biglove:

Well Supreme court just passed National Gay Marriage Legalization so.......

Oh man. I just got back from shopping, and as it turns out, shopping for a suit in petites is MUCH harder than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to start early!

Omg I feel it. Try Banana Republic, they tend to have a lot of options for petites.

I hear ya. #shortpeopleproblems

Reactions: 1 users

Hoooohohoho. I'm petite too, and let me just say: God help you. Seriously start right now.

Petites sections always suck. The options are limited and the cuts are shorter but often don't really take into account how differently shaped someone who's very short is, so a lot of us usually still need to have our jackets taken totally apart and redone which is very expensive. And regular size people (or even petites that are closer to 5'4") are always like, "just get it tailored" assuming all you need is a little hemming here or there. Like, guys... The bust darts are sitting on my stomach. Unless you're long-torsoed and are shaped such that a one button suit doesn't make you look like a sausage cinch, make sure you're budgeting another $75+ to have your jacket overhauled.

Or you can do as one particularly dense friend advised me yesterday and "just learn how to sew."

Hey everyone, what's up? How has the application process been for you all so far?

@coatiboti, I'm at the other end of the suit buying spectrum. At 6'4 and 155, most suits run either way too short, or way too wide...

After one transcript was lost in the mail, the second transcript is in, and I am finally ready to review (submitted everything else June 4th)!

Yeah, the whole transcript part sucked. Two of them were confirmed instantly, the third one (The school I actually go to) took like 3 weeks...

Check out Talbots, they have a great petites section, nice quality (and very conservative). You can't go wrong there

Hey everyone, what's up? How has the application process been for you all so far?

@coatiboti, I'm at the other end of the suit buying spectrum. At 6'4 and 155, most suits run either way too short, or way too wide...
While my brother is not as tall, he had good luck with the 38L at Macy's. You may need to go to the Big/Tall Section of Macys. Good Luck.

I need to start prewriting secondaries this week because I'll be abroad for the next two weeks. Guess I should start with WashU since theirs is already up.

I need to start prewriting secondaries this week because I'll be abroad for the next two weeks. Guess I should start with WashU since theirs is already up.

Oo where are you going?

Italy and Croatia! So places with pretty good Internet access but I don't want to deal with them while there lol.

WHAT! My goal is to visit Croatia and Serbia before I matriculate...currently aiming for next summer. Let us know how much you loved it, please!

Just got my first secondary email...
200.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I just submitted my first secondary (Rochester)! I'll probably end up submitting GWU and Georgetown tomorrow. This is getting too real.