Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks haha, you guys are right. In unrelated news, three of my friends have gotten engaged on my facebook in the past week, meanwhile, I passed on a party last weekend to play a videogame intended for children.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry I lol'd
haters_gonna_hate_by_monnick-d7ddfvi.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been unsubscribing from a bunch of email lists because I'm tired of getting notifications for random emails instead of interview invites :/

Reactions: 3 users
The sad part is statistically less than half the class of 2016 will go on to med school.. There has been a strong downward trend in percent of applicants who matriculate.. It was 41% for 2014..

Personally I've talked to hopeful pre-meds who didn't even know what the MCAT is.. And I also talked to some who think it's just about your grades.. 0_0
Starting on SDN is a smart choice. I suggest every pre-med read the "what are my chances" posts.. Great insight from folks like Banco, and Goro.. I see them critique applications..
"Not Enough CLinical Exposure"
"Not enough research for the top research powerhouses"
"MCAT too low"
It's a massive undertaking to build a solid medical school profile, and it's only going to get more competitive.. OH BOY

But hey it's not a competition. :) It's a journey...
A 4 year journey to get into med school..

It's like you telling your mama buy, and professor Oak gives you your first pokemon..
And then you go out and catch em all and become the very best
You learn a lot, you struggle, you fail, but ultimately you will succeed. Less than half BTW.. sorry that ruined it haha..

ANyways Good luck to you guys.. :) Hope to read some of the great advice you will bring to med school hopefuls just starting out(like me)

Reactions: 1 user
Well, alrighty then. I'm gonna peace out to the bars. Thanks and good luck to you too my friend.

The sad part is statistically less than half the class of 2016 will go on to med school.. There has been a strong downward trend in percent of applicants who matriculate.. It was 41% for 2014..

Personally I've talked to hopeful pre-meds who didn't even know what the MCAT is.. And I also talked to some who think it's just about your grades.. 0_0
Starting on SDN is a smart choice. I suggest every pre-med read the "what are my chances" posts.. Great insight from folks like Banco, and Goro.. I see them critique applications..
"MCAT too low"
It's a massive undertaking to build a solid medical school profile, and it's only going to get more competitive.. OH BOY

It's like you telling your mama buy, and professor Oak gives you your first pokemon..
You learn a lot, you struggle, you fail, but ultimately you will succeed. Less than half BTW.. sorry that ruined it haha..

ANyways Good luck to you guys.. :) Hope to read some of the great advice you will bring to med school hopefuls just starting out(like me)

Last edited:
What did you do in the gap years?
I didn't even consider med school until a few months after graduation. Didn't start working towards it for a full year because I was bouncing across the country in my car!
In the past 2yrs, then, I have:
- Worked as an ER scribe (F/T for 8mo, halftime for 6)
- Taken 10 science classes, mostly upper level bios
- 300hrs of clinical volunteering, 2 positions
- A 3month premedical surgical internship program - lots of shadowing across almost all surgical specialties, plus educational stuff
- Random shadowing
- Worked ½-3/4 time at a biotech job to save up money for the app cycle (and a new car and computer)
- Rocked the MCAT
- Learned Anki so I'm prepared to study efficiently from here on out
- Learned to rock climb
- Rehabbed my ACL and gotten back into ultimate frisbee!!

I'm spending 6months of this upcoming year living in Central America taking lessons, shadowing physicians, and working on local volunteer projects in order to bring my AP-level Spanish into full fluency so I can use it in a medical setting. The current 6months I'm just focusing on applications and interviews, if I'm so lucky as to get them.

But now I am starting to wonder if we ended up on this topic because I made a poor/non-obvious joke...I'm glad I took gap years because you phrased it as "41% of the class of 2016 will not get in" and, since I am not a 2016er, that doesn't apply to me! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even consider med school until a few months after graduation. Didn't start working towards it for a full year because I was bouncing across the country in my car!
In the past 2yrs, then, I have:
- Worked as an ER scribe (F/T for 8mo, halftime for 6)
- Taken 10 science classes, mostly upper level bios
- 300hrs of clinical volunteering, 2 positions
- A 3month premedical surgical internship program - lots of shadowing across almost all surgical specialties, plus educational stuff
- Random shadowing
- Worked ½-3/4 time at a biotech job to save up money for the app cycle (and a new car and computer)
- Rocked the MCAT
- Learned Anki so I'm prepared to study efficiently from here on out
- Learned to rock climb
- Rehabbed my ACL and gotten back into ultimate frisbee!!

I'm spending 6months of this upcoming year living in Central America taking lessons, shadowing physicians, and working on local volunteer projects in order to bring my AP-level Spanish into full fluency so I can use it in a medical setting. The current 6months I'm just focusing on applications and interviews, if I'm so lucky as to get them.

But now I am starting to wonder if we ended up on this topic because I made a poor/non-obvious joke...I'm glad I took gap years because you phrased it as "41% of the class of 2016 will not get in" and, since I am not a 2016er, that doesn't apply to me! :laugh:

Actually hire, I meant to say 41% actually got in during the 2014 application cycle. This is the 2015 and they didn't release the facts table for this cycle yet lol.. I wonder if the average gpa will go up? and the matriculation rate go down.. :(

That's some awesome work during your gap your btw, really impressive. I think you stand a fair shot, probably a better shot than many other pre-meds. Then again don't take my word for it lol, I'm just a freshman in college going by the statistics and research..

Actually, the sad part is that you are a freshman who is telling current applicants 3-5 years older than you how long the road is and the struggles that come along with it. 'cause like, you would know right lol from all your "research" :lol: :roflcopter:

Actually, the sad part is that you are a freshman who is telling current applicants 3-5 years older than you how long the road is and the struggles that come along with it. :laugh: :rofl:
Noo.. that's not what I meant.
I was quoting the statistics, and then followed the statement by stating that it is not really a competition.

Noo.. that's not what I meant.
I was quoting the statistics, and then followed the statement by stating that it is not really a competition.
Let's remind ourselves of what you wrote:
Starting on SDN is a smart choice. I suggest every pre-med read the "what are my chances" posts.

It's a massive undertaking to build a solid medical school profile

You learn a lot, you struggle, you fail, but ultimately you will succeed.
That is not just "quoting the statistics." We don't need you to come onto a thread for current applicants and give us this wisdom. It's absolutely irrelevant to us; we are already 2 solid months into an application cycle.

"MCAT too low"

Thanks for that info...as we all already applied and many have started receiving IIs. Little too late buddy. Maybe post this for those hs students. :)

Thanks for that info...as we all already applied and many have started receiving IIs. Little too late buddy. Maybe post this for those hs students. :)
No, no thanks. Why are you thanking him? Posting useless information to the wrong audience does not deserve a thanks

No, no thanks. Why are you thanking him? Posting useless information to the wrong audience does not deserve a thanks
haha cut him some slack I think he was genuinely trying to be helpful :p

Let's remind ourselves of what you wrote:

That is not just "quoting the statistics." We don't need you to come onto a thread for current applicants and give us this wisdom. It's absolutely irrelevant to us; we are already 2 solid months into an application cycle.
I'm not giving advice if you pay attention..
I was saying you all made a smart choice by starting out on SDN.
How is that giving advice?
No need to get offended or anything... :)

Except it wasn't information.. It was a congratulations in a non-traditional way. :p

avgn has already had it up to HERE with this app cycle. Y'all best come correct into her threads

She's saying what we're all thinking;)

Actually hire, I meant to say 41% actually got in during the 2014 application cycle. This is the 2015 and they didn't release the facts table for this cycle yet lol.. I wonder if the average gpa will go up? and the matriculation rate go down.. :(

That's some awesome work during your gap your btw, really impressive. I think you stand a fair shot, probably a better shot than many other pre-meds. Then again don't take my word for it lol, I'm just a freshman in college going by the statistics and research..
I knew what you meant to say, which is what made my comment a joke!

It doesn't much matter what my odds are at this point...the ball is already rolling and all I have to do is wait to see where it lands!
That's true of most people in this thread, which is probably why you're getting backlash. Telling people the low odds before they pull the trigger could be construed as helpful advice. Telling them the odds when they can't do anything about it is more like "oh, you just invested thousands of dollars and years of work? Well, you'll more than likely lose it all" even if that's not what you intend.

giphy.gif

BUT...I'm wondering if you think that 'Class of 2020' means for undergraduate, which would make your comments a lot more pertinent to the thread. If I'm not mistaken, as a frosh, that's your expected graduation date...if you expected this thread to be full of fellow undergrad freshmen rather than those in the midst of the current application cycle (Class of 2020 means MED SCHOOL class of 2020, aka those applying right now) that would explain a lot!

Good luck to you in college, and don't let us grumpy folks scare you off of SDN...as I said, we're all in the middle of our app cycle right now and that tends to make people a bit tetchy!

Did they just block gifs? Because THAT will make me tetchy!!!

BUT...I'm wondering if you think that 'Class of 2020' means for undergraduate, which would make your comments a lot more pertinent to the thread. If I'm not mistaken, as a frosh, that's your expected graduation date...if you expected this thread to be full of fellow undergrad freshmen rather than those in the midst of the current application cycle (Class of 2020 means MED SCHOOL class of 2020, aka those applying right now) that would explain a lot!

Good luck to you in college, and don't let us grumpy folks scare you off of SDN...as I said, we're all in the middle of our app cycle right now and that tends to make people a bit tetchy!

Nah; I know by 2020 you mean for Med School.
2016 for college

To be honest with you I don't even want to know what to associate with some of the pre-meds... I'm going to hide my pre-med status throughout college.. Well to students

Nah; I know by 2020 you mean for Med School.
2016 for college

To be honest with you I don't even want to know what to associate with some of the pre-meds... I'm going to hide my pre-med status throughout college.. Well to students
You don't have to hide it, just don't announce it to everyone and their mothers. If someone asks you what you want to do after college, saying medicine is fine. Walking around Orgo lectures with a white coat on and being annoying... not so much.

FIRST ALL-NIGHTER PULLED FOR THIS JOB :D
(many previous ones were once pulled for previous jobs)

I hate Monday deadlines -_-

One of my friends is staying at my house for a week, she's taking the MCAT on Saturday. I'm thinking about pretending to throw a huge party this Friday. Thoughts?

One of my friends is staying at my house for a week, she's taking the MCAT on Saturday. I'm thinking about pretending to throw a huge party this Friday. Thoughts?
I would hate you forever if it were me. Like don't you remember how stressful the day before the MCAT was?

Then again they are your friend as opposed to just like a random housemate so maybe they would take it in jest hah

Reactions: 2 users
If your friend is type A then it will just cause them unnecessary stress when she/he should be focusing on relaxing ;)

I would hate you forever if it were me. Like don't you remember how stressful the day before the MCAT was?

Then again they are your friend as opposed to just like a random housemate so maybe they would take it in jest hah
She's nice enough normally, but I CAN"T talk to her about med school stuff. Straight gunner, and she can't help it. Honestly I just want to see her reaction. I'm a terrible person.

Reactions: 1 users

I had a roommate who actually threw a rager in my apartment two days before the MCAT and I got all of 3 hours of sleep in 30 minute increments. I almost snapped :whistle:

I was super chill the few days before my MCAT haha, I took the 4 days before off, played volleyball, went to the lake, it was great man.

I was super chill the few days before my MCAT haha, I took the 4 days before off, played volleyball, went to the lake, it was great man.
I'm someone who likes studying all the way up until tests, so I think if I had tried to take the 4 days before the MCAT off to relax, it would have just left me even more stressed.

I'm someone who likes studying all the way up until tests, so I think if I had tried to take the 4 days before the MCAT off to relax, it would have just left me even more stressed.
Ran it by my roommates, one of them actually wants to throw a party now... whoops.

I intentionally didn't study at all the day before the MCAT. Always had it in the back of my mind but I tried to just relax. I wouldn't mind a party XD

Y'all crazy, I couldn't NOT be studying the days before the MCAT. I ran through every one of my review books again in the 2ish days prior. My boyfriend drove me to the testing center so I could finish re-reading the psych/soc on the way there heh

Reactions: 2 users
I intentionally didn't study at all the day before the MCAT. Always had it in the back of my mind but I tried to just relax. I wouldn't mind a party XD
To clarify, I was not studying at ALL that last day, I was just so tense that all I wanted to do was sit, sulk, and watch south park

To clarify, I was not studying at ALL that last day, I was just so tense that all I wanted to do was sit, sulk, and watch south park

My GF and I went on a mini-vacation a few days before the MCAT. Nice dinners, just relaxed. Twas a great idea.

I was still taking practice tests the day before...I was working 2 jobs while studying, and I'm a bit of a nontrad, so my timing was wonky. I took my first FL the week before the real deal.
However, my family came for a week-long visit that ended TWO DAYS before my MCAT...between entertaining them, de-stressing my mother after she hosted them, and general family gathering shenanigans, I was a bit frazzled by the end. I would rather have had a night-before rager! :laugh:

Honestly, though, I wouldn't have minded a pre-MCAT party! That last day was just...take an FL, review briefly, do flashcards occasionally. I could have partied. My exam was in the afternoon, too, so I just slept in as much as I was able, got out the hammock, and did flashcards until I got bored and thought "this is a waste of time, I know this stuff...wonder what's on Netflix?" :thinking: I wasn't really stressed, though...just kind of amped up and excited!

Okay, so I am in the very fortunate position of having 9 interview invites (I know, wtf) and am feeling kinda overwhelmed trying to schedule them all. I realize this is a super obnoxious/lucky problem to have, but if anyone can relate and commiserate, please send me a message!

Okay, so I am in the very fortunate position of having 9 interview invites (I know, wtf) and am feeling kinda overwhelmed trying to schedule them all. I realize this is a super obnoxious/lucky problem to have, but if anyone can relate and commiserate, please send me a message!

I know, sometimes I have trouble finding places to put my piles of cash. All the major banks say they're just not comfortable being responsible for that much money.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm stressed out about school. I have to take 3 exams in a small gap between interviews. When do people study?!!

also a professor said today there were no make up exams...dropped that class.

I'm stressed out about school. I have to take 3 exams in a small gap between interviews. When do people study?!!

also a professor said today there were no make up exams...dropped that class.
It's actually really hard to balance! I work, so no exams to deal with, but lots of foregone income...

I'm obviously really excited for my interviews, but it's pretty expensive flying all over the country on short notice :(

I know, sometimes I have trouble finding places to put my piles of cash. All the major banks say they're just not comfortable being responsible for that much money.
Welcome to SDN, where everyone is supportive of each other's goal to get into medical school until it comes time to...well, actually apply and get into medical school.

Cut the guy a break. If you don't work full-time, you have no idea how hard it is getting time off and scheduling. All these premeds complaining about missing class and exams. Lmao. Try missing income and pissing off your boss, taking conference calls on the road.

Welcome to SDN, where everyone is supportive of each other's goal to get into medical school until it comes time to...well, actually apply and get into medical school.

Cut the guy a break. If you don't work full-time, you have no idea how hard it is getting time off and scheduling. All these premeds complaining about missing class and exams. Lmao. Try missing income and pissing off your boss, taking conference calls on the road.

One of the most hostile SDN posters thinks my joke went too far :(

Reactions: 4 users
Why you need to get an annual rate job, and why paid days off make the world go round :D