Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to the CC since I'm tired of paying >$1,500 for a course that's < $500 at the CC. I work way too hard for my money.

AMEN. So far my professors aren't the greatest so I've had to really teach myself most of it... But that's going to happen anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want loans, and you aren't eligible for grants, then your options are limited to CC courses really. If you are eligible for grants, you could enter a 4 year seeking a 2nd degree such as Biology that would fulfill your prereq's. Nothing says you have to complete that 2nd degree to get into med school.

Just stumbled across this thread!:) Also looking to be a part of the class of 2022, since applying this year hasn't gone so well. Planning on doing a SMP this upcoming fall, but it looks like most others are going the DIY post-bacc route. Any particular reason why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stumbled across this thread!:) Also looking to be a part of the class of 2022, since applying this year hasn't gone so well. Planning on doing a SMP this upcoming fall, but it looks like most others are going the DIY post-bacc route. Any particular reason why?

I'm working full time and we are buying a house this summer. Plus I like to travel. I can't afford /want to go to a SMP with the way my travel and wedding budget are set up.

I didn't realize that you could get a dual degree MD/MPH or DO/MPH... This is what I need to be doing!

@TallPreMed Congrats on getting married :). And yeah, some of the docs I work with have also told me that if I want to go the MPH route, I may as well wait to do it until I get it as a dual degree with MD or DO.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm holding off on getting married .......Something about betting half of my **** that some one else could put up with me for the rest of my life just hasn't won me over in the risk vs reward category.

@TallPreMed Congrats on getting married :). And yeah, some of the docs I work with have also told me that if I want to go the MPH route, I may as well wait to do it until I get it as a dual degree with MD or DO.
Hah thanks! It's not until 2018 though. Waiting and saving up on that too.

@ROSC I always believed the same. But as hokey as it sounds, once I met my fiancé I knew from about 2 months in that I would be marrying him. And I come from divorced parents who despise each other lol

Despite all the research I thought I had done when i started back in January of 14 (god that sounds long ago) I didn't fully understand the SMP route. I'm not sure I would have been for it even if i did. The DIY route has allowed me the pace and flexibility to adjust to changing life circumstances while I got my **** together and learned how to study the hard sciences effectively. I think if i had done a proper post-bacc program through a school while trying to work at the hospital, my chances at med school would have gone down in flames.

SMP is a dual headed sword that can either grant you an admission to MD school if you excel at it, or it can be lethal and destroy your chances of getting in any US medical school. I don't like to gamble with my chances, so I chose the DIY postbacc route.

Reactions: 1 users

I work a pretty tight schedule, about 13 hours long, with rotating days. It makes sense for me and my situation (I'm an ER nurse) so I'm going for a DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The whole process of med school applications feels like an enormous gamble, especially as I get older. But I can definitely understand where everyone is coming from in choosing to do the DIY route. I took a few postbacc classes before I got accepted into my SMP, but decided in the end that I'd rather invest in the advanced degree, as my backup plan of sorts.

I keep forgetting some of the stuff I did in college (2009-2013).... My basketball coach required us to do community service and I have probably ~30 hours from that. And from 2007-2011 I would spend my Christmas Day feeding the needy at the local YMCA. There's another ~40 hours of volunteer work. And I participated in St Jude activities from high school into college, starting out from showing horses and continuing on until my senior year of college. Probably another ~25 hours. I was concerned I wouldn't have any type of volunteer work on my application, since I'm working full time. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer more recent activities but at least it's something I did do in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wooo! 6 years ago I took my last upper level biology exam and failed it. Today I took my first upper level biology exam since then and got an 87%! Not where I want to be quite, but a 40 percentage point increase is a good way to starry. High As for the rest of the exams from here on out!

Reactions: 4 users
Wooo! 6 years ago I took my last upper level biology exam and failed it. Today I took my first upper level biology exam since then and got an 87%! Not where I want to be quite, but a 40 percentage point increase is a good way to starry. High As for the rest of the exams from here on out!
All victories count. Especially the small ones.

Good job! I took my first real exam in 6 years on Thursday, so I have to wait for the grades but I feel confident I did well on it as well.

Almost the same timeline as you..I also plan to take the MCAT in April/May of 17

Class of 2022! Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's late at night and I just looked over the test scores for my first ochem 2 test, and I did way worse than what I thought I did. I barely passed with a 74; I feel so discouraged, mainly because I didn't give myself enough time to prepare for the test. I put myself in a tight corner to get that A in this class and now panic mode started early this semester lol.

It's late at night and I just looked over the test scores for my first ochem 2 test, and I did way worse than what I thought I did. I barely passed with a 74; I feel so discouraged, mainly because I didn't give myself enough time to prepare for the test. I put myself in a tight corner to get that A in this class and now panic mode started early this semester lol.
Ugh that sucks! Ochem 2 is tough. I mean, I assume it's tough. Going to take a lot of work to get into an A... Time to buckle down! You got this

Check out the book Moonwalking with Einstein by Josh Foer for some great memory techniques. It should drastically cut down your study time. Class average in both my bio classes was 69% and 70% respectively on the first tests; I pulled a 102 on both with minimal studying, mostly due to using the memory tips I gleaned from the book.

Hey everyone :) New here and just stumbled on this thread. I too am looking to apply next year for the class of 2022. :)

Guess I'll give a bit of background and introduce myself:

I'm a bit older (37), non-trad who has a BSc in chemistry. I went to college with the goal to get into med school, but when my senior year hit, I was crushed - emotionally, financially, physically and mentally and just felt like I needed a huge break from school after I graduated. Took some time off, moved back to my hometown and tried to get a lab position but that fell through. Finally settled on teaching high school science just to make ends meet and I've been doing it ever since. Been a teacher now for 10 years and an AP Physics teacher for the past 5.

I'm finally in a position (financially, emotionally and mentally) to think about medical school and I'm excited to have this plan go forward. :) This is my outline over the course of the next year or so:

Start reviewing all pre-reqs NOW (except Physics, of course :) ). It's been ages since my classes - and I scored all A's and B's in them (except Biochem with a C) so retaking them isn't totally necessary, I just need to refresh the material. I bought text books of Bio, Chem, OChem and Biochem to review over the next few months. I study every weekend (Fri - Sun) about 3 - 4 hours a day for now.

In May, start reviewing in earnest. I've already purchased a Kaplan review set and plan on buying an EK set, TBR set, and some extra practice exams. I don't know about the online review course yet - I don't think I need it, honestly. I will also probably take a summer course, and volunteer/shadow over the summer to get some EC.

I may take my MCAT in Sept - or possibly in January. I haven't decided yet. But plan on taking some upper level bio classes at my local 4 year state uni this fall and spring (do grade replacement for my Biochem grade and just to show I can handle the upper level bio classes). Hopefully that will bump that gpa up a bit too and give me some chances at some LOR.

Anyways, glad to be here and glad to meet you guys ;)

Getting closer and closer to an A in micro. Right now I have a 91.3% ... Lab work and homework is saving me from that 87% on my first exam! I can do this :couchpotato::claps:

Took my first Molecular Biology test yesterday. Didn't do good. I had to work all week before the test day. I didn't/couldn't prepare for it adequately.
Oh well! Will do better on the next one. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

You will! Plenty of resources out there to help you get back on track :)

Hey everyone, I'm at the start of where all of you are aiming for (first year med student) and thought I'd chime in just to sprinkle some encouragement.

Out of HS, I had no motivation or passion. I went to a CC as a theatre major and was basically wasting my life going nowhere for almost 3 years - took classes here and there but didn't have the discipline to go for more than the first 2 weeks of every semester. I dropped classes and piled up 13 Ws.

At 22, I took a real hard look at my life and came to my senses. I re-enrolled at my CC as a biochem-premed major. After a year, I transferred to a four-year university with a 3.8 (by the grace of God, someone took me despite my 13 Ws). I got heavily involved in clubs, volunteering/shadowing and research while working 20-30 hrs/wk - ending up with a good enough GPA/MCAT to apply. My last year of 'undergrad', I met the woman who is now my wife. To pay for the wedding, rather than apply for med school right away, I got a job as a research associate in biotech. After a year of working, I completed my med school apps and got married right after submitting secondaries. Months later, I got an acceptance.

It's been a long, 6-7 year journey since setting my sights on medicine but, man, is it worth it. I love being a non-trad. After exploring (failing and succeeding at) life apart from medicine, I'm so thankful for every single one of my experiences. They remind me that there is nothing else I'd rather be pursuing than to practice medicine. It's not easy. It's certainly not short. Some days you wonder if this is really what you want. But hang in there, c/o 2022. It's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone, I'm at the start of where all of you are aiming for (first year med student) and thought I'd chime in just to sprinkle some encouragement.

Out of HS, I had no motivation or passion. I went to a CC as a theatre major and was basically wasting my life going nowhere for almost 3 years - took classes here and there but didn't have the discipline to go for more than the first 2 weeks of every semester. I dropped classes and piled up 13 Ws.

At 22, I took a real hard look at my life and came to my senses. I re-enrolled at my CC as a biochem-premed major. After a year, I transferred to a four-year university with a 3.8 (by the grace of God, someone took me despite my 13 Ws). I got heavily involved in clubs, volunteering/shadowing and research while working 20-30 hrs/wk - ending up with a 3.5+ and 29 MCAT. My last year of 'undergrad', I met the woman who is now my wife. To pay for the wedding, rather than apply for med school right away, I got a job as a research associate in biotech. After a year of working, I completed my med school apps and got married right after submitting secondaries. Months later, I got an acceptance.

It's been a long, 6-7 year journey since setting my sights on medicine but, man, is it worth it. I love being a non-trad. After exploring (failing and succeeding at) life apart from medicine, I'm so thankful for every single one of my experiences. They remind me that there is nothing else I'd rather be pursuing than to practice medicine. It's not easy. It's certainly not short. Some days you wonder if this is really what you want. But hang in there, c/o 2022. It's worth it.

Encouraging words I needed to hear today.

I'm in my last quarter of DIY sciences and its been rough - its a state school that heavily grade deflates (tons of premeds and harsh curves) and i'll be lucky to emerge with an sGPA of 3.4. I just keep telling myself I can prove my worth through the MCAT but the more i bleed GPA away, the higher the stakes become :(

Happy Friday class of 2022! I'm holed up inside studying for a midterm miserable with a chicken pox rash! Apparently I was never vaccinated for it as a child (was due around the time my parents got divorced and it got overlooked) and so I had to get the vaccine for work... Now I get the lovely side effects of the live virus in the form of a swollen arm and rash! Yippee

Ironic as well as I am super pro vaccine...

AnotherLawyer, I have been watching this thread for quite some time now and am happy that I am finally able to join in as I have solidified a 2017 application timeline! I am beginning a formal post-bac program this summer and am very excited to get back into the classroom! Thanks, everyone, for the inspiration along the way, it's an honor to finally post here... hard to believe that I have actually taken the idea and moved into action!

-Y

Greetings,

I'm a non-trad planning to apply to med school in 2017 for the class of 2022. That's far enough away that at times it can be difficult to stay fully motivated. Hence the first reason for this thread: I thought those of us intending to apply to the class of 2022 might find strength and motivation through solidarity with one another. A second reason is that, some years down the road, perhaps some non-trad at the beginning of his or her journey might find this thread and feel a little less daunted by what lies ahead seeing that some of us have (hopefully) made it.

So I'll go ahead and post where I am on my premed journey, what remains to be done, and how I plan to do it. Please feel free to do the same. Hopefully 3 years from now some of us will be talking about interviews and acceptances.

What I've done:
I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, Chem 2, and all other non-science prereqs.

My plan going forward:

Spring 15: Bio 2. Summer 15: Phys 1. Fall 15: Orgo 1. Spring 16: Phys 2. Summer 16: Bio Chem.

I plan to spend Fall 16 through Spring 17 studying for the MCAT and then take the MCAT around April 2017, applying to Texas schools as early as possible.

My plan right now is to take Orgo 2 (and another upper level bio course) during the glide year. I realize that means I won't have it before the MCAT but Orgo is a low yield topic on the MCAT 2015 and I would rather spend 16 weeks focused on high yield material than on Orgo 2. Maybe I will change my mind after we learn more about the MCAT 2015, but this is the current plan.

My goal is to have about 80 hours of shadowing and 1+ years of weekly clinical volunteering by the time I apply.

Good luck to us all.

Reactions: 3 users
AnotherLawyer, I have been watching this thread for quite some time now and am happy that I am finally able to join in as I have solidified a 2017 application timeline! I am beginning a formal post-bac program this summer and am very excited to get back into the classroom! Thanks, everyone, for the inspiration along the way, it's an honor to finally post here... hard to believe that I have actually taken the idea and moved into action!

-Y

Welcome. Often times just making the decision to get started is the hardest step. Good luck with your post-bac. When do you plan to take the MCAT?

Happy Friday class of 2022! I'm holed up inside studying for a midterm miserable with a chicken pox rash! Apparently I was never vaccinated for it as a child (was due around the time my parents got divorced and it got overlooked) and so I had to get the vaccine for work... Now I get the lovely side effects of the live virus in the form of a swollen arm and rash! Yippee

Ironic as well as I am super pro vaccine...

You'll probably have to prove varicella immunity when you shadow or volunteer in a medical setting, so even your chicken pox is helping you achieve your goal.

Thanks for the kind words, I know the program will be intense but it was just what I was looking for and am happy to have the opportunity to push myself to learn so much in such a condensed time frame. I also agree regarding the first step being the hardest, I actually study health decision making and behavior change as part of my current career and know the phenomenon all too well :(. My current goal is to aim to take the MCAT in May or April (the latest) 2017, have been doing rigorous pre-prep leading up to beginning post-bac so I can stay on track.

Welcome. Often times just making the decision to get started is the hardest step. Good luck with your post-bac. When do you plan to take the MCAT?

I'm joining the club! Currently in a SMP.

ASDFGHJKLL got another 87% on my second exam in my micro class. The average went from an 82 to a 72... But I need As :arghh:

Ugh that sucks! Ochem 2 is tough. I mean, I assume it's tough. Going to take a lot of work to get into an A... Time to buckle down! You got this
A single bad grade won't be the death of your application. I did poorly in my Ochem 2 course (a C to be honest) but I made up for it by working harder and doing well in Biochem 1 and 2. Just work on being well rounded, not just grades. I know people who have gotten 4.0 GPAs in hard sciences but failed miserably in the personal interviews and total scope categories.

Getting closer and closer to an A in micro. Right now I have a 91.3% ... Lab work and homework is saving me from that 87% on my first exam! I can do this :couchpotato::claps:
Needed to make a 96 on my Micro Final to seal up an A ....... long story short, made a 97 lmao ohhhhhhhhh how rolling the multiple choice dice on a grade that is for ever on your transcript gets me more than any black jack table ever did.

ASDFGHJKLL got another 87% on my second exam in my micro class. The average went from an 82 to a 72... But I need As :arghh:
You've got this.
Look at question trends now that you have a few exams out of the way. Go online and take some practice tests. I'm a Photographic and tactile so I had to see pictures and re-write along with drawing for micro success.

You've got this.
Look at question trends now that you have a few exams out of the way. Go online and take some practice tests. I'm a Photographic and tactile so I had to see pictures and re-write along with drawing for micro success.

My problem is that she is from India and I struggle with her wording on the questions. I understand the material frontwards and backwards but it's just how she asks questions, it's very confusing. She takes our exams back after we go over them for about 10 min. I need to just take pictures of the exams while I have it and use that. The class average is low, but it's no excuse for me to not have an A. Lab work is keeping me at about an A- right now.

My bio 2 professor uses very confusing wording on her questions, and I've started covering up the answer choices while I'm reading a question and writing down what I think the correct answer will be in the margin. I got a 100 on the second exam and a 95 on the third with that tactic. Not sure if it will help in your case, but I found that when I was trying to make sense of her answer choices and the weird wording in the question I'd end up stuck between 2-3 options. Also, going back and changing answers has never worked in my favor so I've stopped doing that entirely.

I was finally able to secure a shadowing gig with an EM physician, and let me tell you that going through the process with HR and staff is tougher than getting a doctor to say yes. I have had two previous doctors who agreed to let me shadow them but the hospital did not let me do so, it was so dang frustrating.

My bio 2 professor uses very confusing wording on her questions, and I've started covering up the answer choices while I'm reading a question and writing down what I think the correct answer will be in the margin. I got a 100 on the second exam and a 95 on the third with that tactic. Not sure if it will help in your case, but I found that when I was trying to make sense of her answer choices and the weird wording in the question I'd end up stuck between 2-3 options. Also, going back and changing answers has never worked in my favor so I've stopped doing that entirely.

Yeah, my bio prof says there are up to 5 correct answers but you only get credit if you choose the one that is "most correct," lol.

Took my first Molecular Biology test yesterday. Didn't do good. I had to work all week before the test day. I didn't/couldn't prepare for it adequately.
Oh well! Will do better on the next one. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile
Remember this?
I got 94%. Highest grade in class. Teacher wrote excellent on my test

Hi, everybody! I'm headed for c/o 2022 as well. I'm 32, married with 3 kids (ages 7, 5, and 4), started university on the pre-med track, then switched to liberal arts halfway through. I've been practicing law for the past nine years, and have finally decided that I can't let another year pass without getting back to what I really want to be doing, which is medicine. My uGPA is a 3.6, and my law GPA doesn't bear mentioning, so I'm taking 7 or 8 science courses at my local 4-year college (which is where I hope to be starting medical school in 2018) to build a sGPA and hopefully boost my cGPA as well.

I was just accepted as a second bachelors degree student, and I'm planning to declare a major in Chemistry with a Biochem concentration, to help with registering for classes and getting financial aid (although I won't be eligible for any need-based aid because of my household income). If I'm accepted to med school next cycle, I won't finish the second bachelors degree, but if I'm not, finishing that degree will give me something to do while I prepare to apply again the following cycle.

I'm starting my pre-reqs in Summer 2016 with Statistics (I don't know why the med school I want to attend requires it, but it does) and a Gen Chem overview. I made As in Gen Chem, I think, but it's been over 15 years since I took a Chemistry class, so I think the refresher will help me. I'm hoping that taking some "easy" classes will help me get back into the student mindset after close to a decade outside the classroom.

I've begun shadowing, but have a lot more to do. The biggest problem I've encountered is getting hospitals to credential me to shadow there, given that I'm not a med student. I have tons of doctor friends going to bat for me, but the only shadowing I've been able to get into so far is in their private offices.

I volunteer hundreds of hours a year, serve on non-profit boards, and am active in our local music and theater scenes, so I feel like my non-clinical ECs are on point, if not above average. I've just applied for a scribe position to get some clinical experience beyond the limited shadowing I've been able to do (plus, hopefully, get credentialed so that I CAN shadow in the hospitals - we have a Level I trauma center in town, and I'm just ITCHING to get into it!), so we will see how that goes. I haven't done any scientific research (although, I'm a lawyer, so other kinds of research are basically my livelihood, LOL), and don't really plan to, since I'm not hoping to be admitted to a research-intensive med school and I don't want to do research in my career.

So, that's me. Glad to be with y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, everybody! I'm headed for c/o 2022 as well. I'm 32, married with 3 kids (ages 7, 5, and 4), started university on the pre-med track, then switched to liberal arts halfway through. I've been practicing law for the past nine years, and have finally decided that I can't let another year pass without getting back to what I really want to be doing, which is medicine. My uGPA is a 3.6, and my law GPA doesn't bear mentioning, so I'm taking 7 or 8 science courses at my local 4-year college (which is where I hope to be starting medical school in 2018) to build a sGPA and hopefully boost my cGPA as well.

I was just accepted as a second bachelors degree student, and I'm planning to declare a major in Chemistry with a Biochem concentration, to help with registering for classes and getting financial aid (although I won't be eligible for any need-based aid because of my household income). If I'm accepted to med school next cycle, I won't finish the second bachelors degree, but if I'm not, finishing that degree will give me something to do while I prepare to apply again the following cycle.

I'm starting my pre-reqs in Summer 2016 with Statistics (I don't know why the med school I want to attend requires it, but it does) and a Gen Chem overview. I made As in Gen Chem, I think, but it's been over 15 years since I took a Chemistry class, so I think the refresher will help me. I'm hoping that taking some "easy" classes will help me get back into the student mindset after close to a decade outside the classroom.

I've begun shadowing, but have a lot more to do. The biggest problem I've encountered is getting hospitals to credential me to shadow there, given that I'm not a med student. I have tons of doctor friends going to bat for me, but the only shadowing I've been able to get into so far is in their private offices.

I volunteer hundreds of hours a year, serve on non-profit boards, and am active in our local music and theater scenes, so I feel like my non-clinical ECs are on point, if not above average. I've just applied for a scribe position to get some clinical experience beyond the limited shadowing I've been able to do (plus, hopefully, get credentialed so that I CAN shadow in the hospitals - we have a Level I trauma center in town, and I'm just ITCHING to get into it!), so we will see how that goes. I haven't done any scientific research (although, I'm a lawyer, so other kinds of research are basically my livelihood, LOL), and don't really plan to, since I'm not hoping to be admitted to a research-intensive med school and I don't want to do research in my career.

So, that's me. Glad to be with y'all!

I have had the same issue constantly, it seems like there are certain hospitals that won't allow any undergrad students to shadow their physicians. Welcome in!

I've got a question that some of you who have been around longer than I have may be able to answer: I have an undergrad cGPA of 3.6 and a law school cGPA of 2.9. I had about twice as many undergrad hours as law school hours, so it would average out to 3.4 over the course of my college education. My question is whether my cGPA for AMCAS purposes includes every post-high school class I have ever taken, or if Med schools consider my cGPA to be my UNDERGRAD GPA ONLY, with my law school grades as more of an EC situation. I've asked this question elsewhere without a clear answer. Anyone here know?

The AMCAS app will show your undergraduate GPA broken down by year and cumulatively. Same with your law school courses; they should show up as your graduate school GPA. Best way to find out is to ask AMCAS directly. They take calls, but tweeting to them is sometimes faster.

Yet another nontrad problem. I have no idea how to tweet. I guess I understand the concept, but I don't have a Twitter account and have never tried it.