Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I assume you're taking it no earlier than January. The good news is, you're giving yourself a ton of time.

What's your study plan?
My Goal is March/ April. Study plan is start with the basics and work my way up.

Just refreshing everything for the next 2 months.
Then I'm hiring a personal tutor for BioChem Bc I'm taking it this coming Spring.

I will purchase the Kaplan Course in November
Working as many problems and practice tests as I can.

All while working Full time.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I started my Orgo I course yesterday. First math/science class I've taken in 16 years, and it is kicking my butt. How am I already two weeks behind when we've only had two days of classes?! I'm consoling myself with the (probably unfounded) assumption that all the people in the class who seem to understand what's going on are re-takers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
So, I started my Orgo I course yesterday. First math/science class I've taken in 16 years, and it is kicking my butt. How am I already two weeks behind when we've only had two days of classes?! I'm consoling myself with the (probably unfounded) assumption that all the people in the class who seem to understand what's going on are re-takers.

Look up Janci Despain's Tutorials.

Along with Kahn Academy.
The web is an invaluable resource, use it to your advantage!

Members don't see this ad :)
Course saver.com is another good source for Ochem.... It also has gen chem, biochem, and physics. Charges a monthly fee, but I think it's worth it. I'm in Ochem I now (6 week course) and it's been a huge help!

Sent from my LG-D850 using SDN mobile

I'm in orgo 1 as well, and it is a serious ass-kicker so far. My professor is notorious for being the most difficult professor at my university, and I'm feeling it. I showed some of my homework to someone who is in biochem for help, and they were a bit perplexed by what I'm doing in my third week in orgo. Not sure I did fabulous on my exam today, but I've heard he curves generously. Pretty, pretty please curve Gods!

Haha... Best of luck with the curve Gods! My Ochem professor seems to be more on the lax side. His tests aren't incredibly difficult (98 on the first one) and he's really approachable.

Best of luck... We can do this!

I think I already said this in this thread, but for those of you looking for extra ochem help, the Klein textbook is amazing. His second language book is great too, but the textbook is everything the second language book is and a lot more. You can get the first edition used on Amazon for a few dollars. You'll also need the solution guide (a few more dollars).

Reactions: 1 users
Knocked out the first 3 Chapters of Orgo between today and yesterday. Just refreshing, its been smooth thus far.

Looked into the Exam Crackers Audio CDs on Amazon today
They have a few for $200 used and $385 new.

I'm going to invest in those for a solid reinforcement tool.

I spent the last 2 hours on Khan Academy cross referencing the material I've covered thus far.

The Klein textbook is our book for the class (both semesters), and I agree that it's great. The professor is good, too. The problem for me is that the summer course is so fast-paced that I don't have time to process and turn the things we're learning over and over in my mind before we're on to the next thing. I mean, I'm as quick a study as the next premed, but I don't feel like I'm solidly "getting" each concept before we go to the next. I've heard many times that the key to really learning Orgo is practice practice practice. But I just don't have the time to do that much practice on this compressed summer schedule. I wish I had taken this class in the spring.

I agree that it's extremely fast paced, especially with 3 labs (and lab reports) each week. That's why I've resigned myself to watching more video versus reading books, simply due to a lack of time.

The Klein textbook is our book for the class (both semesters), and I agree that it's great. The professor is good, too. The problem for me is that the summer course is so fast-paced that I don't have time to process and turn the things we're learning over and over in my mind before we're on to the next thing. I mean, I'm as quick a study as the next premed, but I don't feel like I'm solidly "getting" each concept before we go to the next. I've heard many times that the key to really learning Orgo is practice practice practice. But I just don't have the time to do that much practice on this compressed summer schedule. I wish I had taken this class in the spring.

The punishment is all the same... whether it be condensed or drawn out for 5 months.... it still hurts lol

I understand exactly where youre coming from though wanting to solidify understandings of concepts before moving on to the next debacle.

Good luck

Who all got some good MCAT prep time in today ?!

Not to talk about the elephant in the room or anything ladies and gents ..... BUT we are less than 365 days away from App cycle.
This is what we've been working for, waiting for, sacrificing for, and praying for.

Don't let the days pass with out bettering preparing yourself in SOME sort of way for it.

Let's get it !!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I will be applying next year for the class of 2022. I am a rising senior who will be taking a gap year so I guess that makes me nontraditional! I have already been prepping for the MCAT and will be taking it in September of this year.

Last edited:
Who ordered their Biochem text 6 months ahead of time, and Cat fished the syllabus to get the course schedule and Chapter dates .......

***This guy***

Now I can familiarize myself with the information prior to class. Hopefully this will allow me to excel in the course. Also I will be MCAT prepping throughout its entirety.
I'm also hoping that this will appease some of the anxiety that will be building up during those last few months.

Just realized my summer II biochem course is 8 weeks (instead of the usual 6) and will overlap the last 3 weeks of summer I Ochem and lab! Quite the pickle I've found myself in! Haha.

I'm just trying to keep my head above water in physics in orgo! My MCAT books look wonderful on my bookshelf for now, ha.

Just realized my summer II biochem course is 8 weeks (instead of the usual 6) and will overlap the last 3 weeks of summer I Ochem and lab! Quite the pickle I've found myself in! Haha.

Well if you're on your Second BioChem then Orgo 1 should be vaguely familiar. The first few weeks are just review with some nomenclature and resonance jazz

The curve gods heard me.... a 94 on orgo. Hallelujah!!

Congrats Willow!

ROSC... This will be my first biochem. Ochem I is going really well, so I'm not concerned about the content as much as I am the time. The Ochem lab on a summer schedule is brutal workload -wise, but I only have 4 more!

I'm making it happen... Just a little more work than I'd prefer!

Congrats Willow!

ROSC... This will be my first biochem. Ochem I is going really well, so I'm not concerned about the content as much as I am the time. The Ochem lab on a summer schedule is brutal workload -wise, but I only have 4 more!

I'm making it happen... Just a little more work than I'd prefer!

:thumbup::claps:

Stick with it its going to pay off !!!

After a rocky start in O Chem (a C on my first quiz), things appear to be turning around! I got a B on the second quiz and AN A (!!!) on my first exam! So, because the exams weigh heavily, I'm currently rocking an A in this class!

Reactions: 2 users
After a rocky start in O Chem (a C on my first quiz), things appear to be turning around! I got a B on the second quiz and AN A (!!!) on my first exam! So, because the exams weigh heavily, I'm currently rocking an A in this class!

Way to goooo!!!!
Congrats

Keep up the great work ADSigMel! The end is in sight! My last Ochem exam, before the final, is Tuesday and I'm feeling great about it.

Just got these in the mail... Starting my online Kaplan course next month... with a scheduled MCAT for April. I'm planning on taking the course early (very early obviously) and using the last couple of months to focus on weaknesses on my own. Thoughts about this strategy?!

1465786434120.jpg

Keep up the great work ADSigMel! The end is in sight! My last Ochem exam, before the final, is Tuesday and I'm feeling great about it.

Just got these in the mail... Starting my online Kaplan course next month... with a scheduled MCAT for April. I'm planning on taking the course early (very early obviously) and using the last couple of months to focus on weaknesses on my own. Thoughts about this strategy?!

View attachment 205041

Like everyone says take as many full length practice exams as you can.

This is going to be my point of interest, becoming comfortable with my timing and pace throughout the exam

View attachment 205041

If you use it effectively, more time is better than less time. I would, however, worry about peaking early. If you follow the Kaplan plan you will peak long before April. On the other hand, with so much time, you may not feel a sense of urgency, which might lead to inefficient studying. If I were you, I would sign up for a January MCAT date. Prepare as if that is when you're going to take it. If December roles around and you're not where you want to be, you can always move it to April and still be early to apply. But if March roles around and you're not ready for April, then pushing back means you run a big risk of no longer being an early applicant.

Just my two cents with the caveat that I haven't taken the MCAT or even started dedicated prep.

How are summer classes going for everyone?

Very very good. Not taking any

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Hello All!

I am so glad I came across this thread. I will be joining you all as well! I'm 29, a wife and mother to a two year old. I finished my undergraduate degree in Biology in 2008 with a very low GPA. I decided to pursue medicine about a year later. I have finished all my prerequisites with a very high cumulative GPA. However, my undergraduate GPA is still my downfall. I took the MCAT this past April in hopes of getting admitted to a post-bac program. Unfortunately, I was denied admission recently due to a low MCAT score. However, I have spoken to the program's director on ways to become a more favorable applicant. I will be retaking the MCAT in April/May 2017 while reapplying for this one-year postbac program for Fall 2017. If all goes well I will be with you all...the Class of 2022! Best wishes to everyone!

My summer grades are starting to trickle in. I got an easy A in Medical Terminology, and a disappointing B in Orgo I. Y'all, that class was hard as hell! I'm still waiting for my Orgo lab grade. Probably gonna be another B. Everybody I've talked/whined to about it talks about how, in the overall course of things, a B in this particularly universally difficult class is not a huge deal, but I can't help but be kind of freaked out. I got a C in Gen Bio I (due to youthful indiscretions 15 years ago as a freshman), so this puts my sGPA at 2.5! I need As in my remaining 4 science classes to help bring it up.

I've got one week left in summer classes. I can fail my physics final and keep my A, but orgo 1 is a different story. I've got a decent grade right now, but I feel a ton of pressure to perform on this final. Getting closer, guys...

Summer semester is officially behind me! I'm already feeling the pressure of fall, haha. I'm curious what kind of schedule you guys take and how you balance it with ECs? As of now I'm signed up for 16 credits (physics 2, orgo 2, labs, and anthro electives) in addition to clinical volunteering, tutoring (gen chem 1 and 2), TAing (I was just offered a "lead undergrad TA" for gen chem 1!), and research (also "promoted" to a supervisor role within my lab), and I'm completely freaking out that I can't do it all and maintain my gpa.

Well what the heck, one more lawyer can't hurt this thread. 18 year generalist looking to apply next cycle. My undergrad was 2.93 but now just over 3.0 with recent A's in Chem I, II, and bio. Law school was also just below B average (weird 12-point scale). I figure I will need a good MCAT. Bilingual Spanish.

Tomorrow is my first day of new semester, and there is intimidation: organic I, physics I, and advanced human anatomy with cadaver lab (that part is exciting). Pretty pumped for the new classes, but worried this term will be quite hard. I'm planning to apply for 2018 matriculation, and take MCAT in the summer 2017. I have the Kaplan books.

I like hearing the updates, especially about other lawyers making the switch. I'll be 45 in August, but what I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity. ;) But seriously. I think if I finish out the term well and score well on the MCAT, I can get into one of the schools here in my hometown. I can't move due to 9-year-old daughter who is with me half the days. But, I have a great deal of personal charm and many humorous anecdotes. Hoping things work out. For all of us! Cheers. -Russell

Well what the heck, one more lawyer can't hurt this thread. 18 year generalist looking to apply next cycle. My undergrad was 2.93 but now just over 3.0 with recent A's in Chem I, II, and bio. Law school was also just below B average (weird 12-point scale). I figure I will need a good MCAT. Bilingual Spanish.

Tomorrow is my first day of new semester, and there is intimidation: organic I, physics I, and advanced human anatomy with cadaver lab (that part is exciting). Pretty pumped for the new classes, but worried this term will be quite hard. I'm planning to apply for 2018 matriculation, and take MCAT in the summer 2017. I have the Kaplan books.

I like hearing the updates, especially about other lawyers making the switch. I'll be 45 in August, but what I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity. ;) But seriously. I think if I finish out the term well and score well on the MCAT, I can get into one of the schools here in my hometown. I can't move due to 9-year-old daughter who is with me half the days. But, I have a great deal of personal charm and many humorous anecdotes. Hoping things work out. For all of us! Cheers. -Russell

Any chance you can take the MCAT sooner? Ideally, you want your entire application ready to submit right when the cycle opens (usually early June). It will maximize your chances since most schools have rolling apps.

I'm going to do some CARS studying for the next two weeks while I wait for fall classes to start. Eight courses done since I started in January and I've scored 100% or above as the final course grade in each class thus far. :android: #GPArobot

Any chance you can take the MCAT sooner? Ideally, you want your entire application ready to submit right when the cycle opens (usually early June). It will maximize your chances since most schools have rolling apps.
Thanks TheOther. That is something I've been contemplating lately. Originally I felt I would do best to complete Org II, physics II, and possibly biochem, before taking the MCAT. But maybe it's better to lighten up on my spring semester and prepare for the April or May MCAT while taking only, for example, Org II. If accepted I could take the remaining prerequisites during the glide year. Ive heard the MCAT is probably light on the physics II topics. Biochem on the MCAT would be rough but maybe I can study that independently. What would you do?

Just checking in. I'm 3/4 done with UNE biochem and on track to get an A, provided I don't blow these last three weeks. There is nothing conceptually difficult about this course, but it requires a ton of memorization from poorly presented course material. I'm looking forward to getting this over with and moving on to MCAT prep this fall. I also need to pick up some clinical volunteering this fall.

I hope everyone else is doing well. It's hard to believe some of us will have IIs already a year from now and some of us lucky ones (e.g. TX residents) may have already had an interview.

Just checking in. I'm 3/4 done with UNE biochem and on track to get an A, provided I don't blow these last three weeks. There is nothing conceptually difficult about this course, but it requires a ton of memorization from poorly presented course material. I'm looking forward to getting this over with and moving on to MCAT prep this fall. I also need to pick up some clinical volunteering this fall.

I hope everyone else is doing well. It's hard to believe some of us will have IIs already a year from now and some of us lucky ones (e.g. TX residents) may have already had an interview.

I just got involved with a hospice that is part of the "we honor veterans" initiative that pairs up veteran hospice volunteers with veterans in hospice care. You should have a look and see if there is a participating organization in your area if you need to pick up some clinical hours. http://www.wehonorveterans.org/

Thanks TheOther. That is something I've been contemplating lately. Originally I felt I would do best to complete Org II, physics II, and possibly biochem, before taking the MCAT. But maybe it's better to lighten up on my spring semester and prepare for the April or May MCAT while taking only, for example, Org II. If accepted I could take the remaining prerequisites during the glide year. Ive heard the MCAT is probably light on the physics II topics. Biochem on the MCAT would be rough but maybe I can study that independently. What would you do?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I took the old MCAT so I have no reference for how the biochem questions are. Physics questions are definitely more mechanics-heavy (from what I remember) and not much physII material.
That said, do you plan on taking a Kaplan course? If you forgo taking Phys II and Biochem in the spring, it may behoove you to take the Kaplan course so they could at least direct you on how to study the material. You could also ask Kaplan if students take their MCAT course without having taken biochem and also research SDN to see if anyone has taken the MCAT by studying biochem on their own.

Sorry it's not a straight forward answer. But best to you! Let me know if you have any other questions or just need to bounce ideas.

Edit: looks like it's biochem-heavy. But some people have taken it without biochem, focused hard on it, and crushed it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/3s1rs9/taking_mcat_before_taking_biochem_class/

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure. I took the old MCAT so I have no reference for how the biochem questions are. Physics questions are definitely more mechanics-heavy (from what I remember) and not much physII material.
That said, do you plan on taking a Kaplan course? If you forgo taking Phys II and Biochem in the spring, it may behoove you to take the Kaplan course so they could at least direct you on how to study the material. You could also ask Kaplan if students take their MCAT course without having taken biochem and also research SDN to see if anyone has taken the MCAT by studying biochem on their own.

Sorry it's not a straight forward answer. But best to you! Let me know if you have any other questions or just need to bounce ideas.

Edit: looks like it's biochem-heavy. But some people have taken it without biochem, focused hard on it, and crushed it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/3s1rs9/taking_mcat_before_taking_biochem_class/

I think they'll let me enroll in Org II and Biochem at the same time, I'll have to check on that, since it sounds like probably I'd do best to take those two in spring, then take the MCAT. I'll put off physics II. Personally I don't think I'll do as well with self-instruction as some people do. So maybe July or August test date, and hope my application is still timely. Looks like I may have to rely on the personal charm and good looks after all. Hehe. On another note, just started advanced anatomy this week, and met our cadaver. So that was memorable!

The MCAT is light on physics overall, but between physics I and II, the consensus I've seen is that physics II topics are favored.

The MCAT is light on physics overall, but between physics I and II, the consensus I've seen is that physics II topics are favored.
I'll have to check into that, thanks. I was hoping to put Phys. II off until glide year...

I'll have to check into that, thanks. I was hoping to put Phys. II off until glide year...

I had to choose between pushing ochem 2 or physics 2 to the glide year. I spent a lot of time thinking about this and reading commends from MCAT 2015 test takers before making my decision. I ultimately concluded that I'd get more MCAT bang for my buck by taking physics 2 rather than ochem 2.

Well except I'm not sure I can take biochem without cc enrollment in org II...I don't want to face the test without biochem! Did you already have biochem? I don't trust my independent study that much, it will be enough to do the psych/soc/behavioral part of the test by independent study, plus the rest, without trying to learn biochem. Totally appreciate the heads up, I need to investigate the amount of physics II on the MCAT.

Well except I'm not sure I can take biochem without cc enrollment in org II...I don't want to face the test without biochem! Did you already have biochem? I don't trust my independent study that much, it will be enough to do the psych/soc/behavioral part of the test by independent study, plus the rest, without trying to learn biochem. Totally appreciate the heads up, I need to investigate the amount of physics II on the MCAT.

I'm taking biochem now. It's the second highest yield topic, so definitely prioritize it. For my class at least pretty much no ochem knowledge has been required.

I'm taking biochem now. It's the second highest yield topic, so definitely prioritize it. For my class at least pretty much no ochem knowledge has been required.
I did confirm I can take biochem without org II, so that's currently the plan for next semester. The advisor also said (like you) physics II would be better to take than org II in terms of MCAT readiness. His idea was that org II is kind of more of the same, i.e. going more in depth I guess? Whereas physics II introduces new topics in physics. So, probably this spring I'll do biochem, physics II, and MCAT prep. I found out my local university is putting together an MCAT study program with collaboration by science professors from several universities nearby, a semester long program, for like $400! So that hopefully will be a big help.

My advisors seem to be saying that in terms of applying to my local med schools (I'm "place-bound" so only have two options!) the immediacy of the complete application may be less of a factor than it is in higher-tier, higher-population areas of the country. So I think I could schedule the MCAT for late June or early July and be in good shape. That would give me some uninterrupted study time after the spring semester ends to focus on the MCAT.

How's biochem so far? Yes like you said, I keep hearing biochem is massive on the MCAT. What are you hearing is the highest yield topic? What are some good threads to read about the topic distribution? Thanks

I did confirm I can take biochem without org II, so that's currently the plan for next semester. The advisor also said (like you) physics II would be better to take than org II in terms of MCAT readiness. His idea was that org II is kind of more of the same, i.e. going more in depth I guess? Whereas physics II introduces new topics in physics. So, probably this spring I'll do biochem, physics II, and MCAT prep. I found out my local university is putting together an MCAT study program with collaboration by science professors from several universities nearby, a semester long program, for like $400! So that hopefully will be a big help.

My advisors seem to be saying that in terms of applying to my local med schools (I'm "place-bound" so only have two options!) the immediacy of the complete application may be less of a factor than it is in higher-tier, higher-population areas of the country. So I think I could schedule the MCAT for late June or early July and be in good shape. That would give me some uninterrupted study time after the spring semester ends to focus on the MCAT.

How's biochem so far? Yes like you said, I keep hearing biochem is massive on the MCAT. What are you hearing is the highest yield topic? What are some good threads to read about the topic distribution? Thanks

The subject area breakdown may be in the AAMC content outline available for free. It's definitely in the AAMC official guide, which is a must have resource. The top three are bio, biochem, and psychology.

As for biochem, I don't think it is conceptually difficult (at least at this level) but it requires memorizing a ton of info. It's very interesting.

One more attorney checking in for Class of 2022. I'd originally thought I would start my prerequisites a year earlier and apply for 2021, but we decided to save up a little more before making the jump.

My brief work/edu background:

I work full-time as an inhouse attorney (formerly a BigLaw associate for two different V50 firms) while taking a mixture of classes from the local 4-year and CC. I now make per year about 1/8th my previous salary... but, I'm much happier already and started writing a book of fiction, though it will probably never be completed. I attended a T10 law school, was on the flagship law review (do med school adcomms even know what that is?), and have worked on community service projects consistently every year since returning to the U.S.

Prior to law school, I was the lead content editor for a small publishing company overseas. I worked my way up there from an internship after graduating from a U.S. university with a bachelor's in writing. Before making this transition, I had no prerequisites completed.

Current Status:

My remaining prerequisites:
  • Biochemistry (Taking this Fall semester).
  • Physics II (Taking this Fall semester).
  • Organic Chemistry II (Not a requirement at my top choices and/or some schools accept Biochem in lieu). I may also take this next Fall if I am accepted at a school and they want me to complete it prior to matriculation.
  • Sociology (Not concerned about this class or when I take it).
My uGPA/sGPA:

3.5/3.87 (due to one darned B in Physics I)

MCAT:

My plan is to take the MCAT sometime in the first two weeks of May 2017 and apply immediately thereafter. I am considering taking Genetics in the Spring so I can be "complete" with two of the schools I am aiming for, but perhaps focusing on the MCAT should be the only priority.

Comments:

I'm super proud to report that over the summer I completed Organic Chemistry I and Lab with the highest score in the class. Klein's book was helpful, but the singularly most useful resource was Leah4Sci's videos on organic chemistry topics on YouTube.

My experience shadowing has been super limited so far, but there's a helpful cardiologist that's going to meet with me tomorrow. Let's hope that leads to more opportunities.

Perhaps we should start a JD/MD/DO club so we can grumble about things no one else will understand!

One more attorney checking in for Class of 2022. I'd originally thought I would start my prerequisites a year earlier and apply for 2021, but we decided to save up a little more before making the!
Hey CC30, well good to know even you fancy in-house guys get sick of it too! Sometimes I thought if I could get a nice gig like that, it might be more palatable. I've always been more of a pavement-pounder, although did some work in firms for seven or eight years when I was getting going. As far as prereqs, you're pretty much where I'll be after this semester, except I had a bunch of soc already in college. Good job on your org Chem class this summer, I will look for those videos as I'm taking that right now. I havent shadowed either, but planning some hopefully soon. I did med-mal defense for a few years, maybe they would count that, haha. I'll keep the plaintiff stuff to myself in the interview. Your stats sound like you're in good shape to get in. You planning to stay in Texas?