Class rank and board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuDOc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting second year and am thinking about the boards. Can any of you guys give some info on your class rank and your board scores (USMLE and COMLEX).
Any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

My class rank and board scores (USMLE and COMLEX) were completely unrelated. I did alot better on boards than my class rank reflects. Board scores seem to level the playing field a bit (somebody always seems to find those old pharm tests to study from and memorize for tests at school).
Does that answer anything for you?

Thanks for the post ewagner. I really want to do a gen surg residency and am worrying about the boards. My class rank is really competitive and I'm just looking for a little comfort to ease my mind. By the way (anybody) how did you guys prepare? Are there any surg (ortho, gen, oto, etc.) hopefuls out there with board/class rank correlations? Any info is really helpul!

Members don't see this ad :)
even in the more competative specialities like surg, i think you will find stats such as boards and rank to be lower on the list than who recommended you and how you performed on your surgical rotations.

i can't answer for correlation exactly however, in general i would venture that there is little correlation depending on the strenght of your didactics and the weakness of your year's version of the COMLEX..not sure for the USMLE cuz i didn't take it but comlex is a very poorly written exam.

hope that helps..

I think if you truly know you worked hard and never gave up when you were tired, then board scores and class rank will follow. It's my feeling that even though competitive residencies will look for high marks, recommendations noting hard and diligent work from important physicians hold as much or more weight in certian circumstances. Case in point, you could be the brightest in your school, but if you don't seem like a team player or a person who could "fit in" at a residency program, you suddenly become less desirable.