Class rank and grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does your class ranking and grades matter for competitive specialties? Let's say that someone has barely been passing classes with 70 percent and ranks towards the bottom of the class. Are they equal to someone who scores 90s, provided that they get the same board scores?

What's the insight from people who matched or are getting interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Why Dazzle? This has been beaten to death on these forums

Reactions: 1 users
Dont bother searching, I will just tell you. PDs put the most emphasis on 1) pre-clinical grades 2)clubs/ECs/volunteering 3) prestige of your undergraduate education 4)how fast you can chug a beer 5) ability to use the search function

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont bother searching, I will just tell you. PDs put the most emphasis on 1) pre-clinical grades 2)clubs/ECs/volunteering 3) prestige of your undergraduate education 4)how fast you can chug a beer 5) ability to use the search function

THIS...depending on the tier of the program, you can interchange 1 and 4

Reactions: 1 users
How much does your class ranking and grades matter for competitive specialties? Let's say that someone has barely been passing classes with 70 percent and ranks towards the bottom of the class. Are they equal to someone who scores 90s, provided that they get the same board scores?

What's the insight from people who matched or are getting interviews?

Better watch it, "Dr. Dazzle" -- some poor piece of pond scum who makes 70s may just have a better personality and be easier to tolerate at 03:00 than you are and get into that competitive slot and leave you schlepping it in FM HMO hell.....

Having been in interview selection meetings and rank list meetings, I can tell you that most of the time, candidates are ranked on whether or not they're jerks first and then on how the grades/board scores are relative to their peers. In general, if you're an ass or come off as arrogant, you're out -- coming off as a slacker also gets you the door -- if you're personable and have decent grades or if you can demonstrate a basic fund of knowledge that is required with poor grades/class rank you'll do fine.....

Reactions: 1 user
Grades and class rank doesn't matter. Provided you don't fail a class. Just don't do that.

The DO world is all about networking. Plan for away rotations at places that have the residency you want at the beginning of 4th year. Go there, and kick ass, and victory will be yours.

Better watch it, "Dr. Dazzle" -- some poor piece of pond scum who makes 70s may just have a better personality and be easier to tolerate at 03:00 than you are and get into that competitive slot and leave you schlepping it in FM HMO hell.....

Having been in interview selection meetings and rank list meetings, I can tell you that most of the time, candidates are ranked on whether or not they're jerks first and then on how the grades/board scores are relative to their peers. In general, if you're an ass or come off as arrogant, you're out -- coming off as a slacker also gets you the door -- if you're personable and have decent grades or if you can demonstrate a basic fund of knowledge that is required with poor grades/class rank you'll do fine.....

Haha, you read it the complete opposite of me. I was like, so you're saying you want to get 70s on exams, just so long are you do great on boards? Apparently, you understood it as the opposite. Shows where my head is...

Grades and class rank doesn't matter. Provided you don't fail a class. Just don't do that.

The DO world is all about networking. Plan for away rotations at places that have the residency you want at the beginning of 4th year. Go there, and kick ass, and victory will be yours.
what if you fail one class successfully re mediate and do much better with grades for the rest of the first 2 years and earn a good board score such as usmle 230+? btw im interested in EM

EM is more about SLOE's, Step 2 than it is about pre-clinical grades.

what if you fail one class successfully re mediate and do much better with grades for the rest of the first 2 years and earn a good board score such as usmle 230+? btw im interested in EM

I have no idea.

Failing classes is bad

Each case has to be decided on it's own merit. If you have something bad on your record, like a failed class, be prepared to explain it.

It may cost you interviews at many places