Class rank to be competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinitorV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am sure this has been answered somewhere else, however I couldn't find it. I am a second year at a state school currently gearing up for boards and interested in ortho. Obviously you want to do the best you can, but what should be considered a realistic goal in regards to class rank for ortho. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this depends on a number of things. First is whether your class rank number is reported on your deans letter (MSPE, part of the application to residency) or whether what's reported is a "summary adjective" that reflects your performance relative to the other students. In the case of a summary adjective, it obviously helps to be within that top quintile or so that gets the best adjective. If your school does report class rank, I don't know what you can do besides strive to get as close to the top as possible. Doing the things that will achieve that goal are good in general: acing your tests, honoring your 3rd year rotations.

Perhaps a more important reason to try to get near the top of your class is AOA, which can't hurt your ortho app.

What if your school does not have a class rank?