Class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imhungry5853

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our class ranks were recently released and I am unfortunately in the bottom 1/3 of the class. Anyone have any input on the effect this will have on my match? I've seen similar posts on here, but none very recently so I figured I would ask. I was hoping to match into a solid program in a major city but I am not tied to any one location.

Allopathic, top 40 school
step 1-230
step 2- 250
honors/HP in 3 clerkships
solid LOR
1 poster presentations +2 publications in anesthesia (one accepted pending review, one will be submitted come application time)

I am not worried about matching in general, but just trying to adjust my expectations if I am out of the running for some of the bigger programs or if I need to drastically increase the number of programs I apply to

Members don't see this ad.

Apply everywhere, you have a shot at any program.

You cleared the major hurdles by getting into medical school and getting decent board scores. If you get good letters, I'd say you have a shot at a top 1/3 anesthesia program. There are soooo many spots in anesthesia. Somebody has to fill them. You are in good shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many people in your class? 100? Just say you're in the top 100 and leave it at that if anyone asks, though I doubt anyone will. Stop sweating bullets and wrap your head around the fact that you will match and just apply wherever you want to. All that can happen is they say no and then you won't wonder what could have been.

Our class ranks were recently released and I am unfortunately in the bottom 1/3 of the class. Anyone have any input on the effect this will have on my match? I've seen similar posts on here, but none very recently so I figured I would ask. I was hoping to match into a solid program in a major city but I am not tied to any one location.

Allopathic, top 40 school
step 1-230
step 2- 250
honors/HP in 3 clerkships
solid LOR
1 poster presentations +2 publications in anesthesia (one accepted pending review, one will be submitted come application time)

I am not worried about matching in general, but just trying to adjust my expectations if I am out of the running for some of the bigger programs or if I need to drastically increase the number of programs I apply to

You may have a "shot" at a top ten program but there is still less than a 50/50 chance you match at one. Instead, focus on top 30 type programs where your odds of matching go up to 99%. Of course, you can apply to a few top ten but the majority of your applications should focus on programs which are upper 1/3 but not necessarily top ten.
Feel free to PM with your list and I'll chime in on solid programs in that tier.

Apply broadly and you will find success. Top 10 is very subjective and often regionally biased, some heated discussions have taken place on this board about it. Also depends on your career aspirations. Happy to be of assistance as well, if you'd like!