Class Schedule for First Post-Bac Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A People Person Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

First of all, I want to thank all of you guys for the helpful advice over the past few months.

In January, I plan on beginning my pre-requisites to apply for med school. I'll be taking my classes at UC Berkeley Extension while working full-time and volunteering. My "tentative" schedule for my first semester looks something like this.
--
General Biology I: Thursday - 6-10PM
General Biology Laboratory I: Saturday - 1-5PM

General Chemistry I: Monday - 7-10PM
General Chemistry Laboratory I: Wednesday - 6:30-10PM

Work: M-F 9-5PM

Volunteer gigs at 2 hospitals: Saturday - 8-12PM & Tuesday - 5:30-8:30PM

Study, Study, Study and Sleep: All other free time :uhno:
--
Does this look doable...are there some classes I should switch (i.e., calculus) for my first semester?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks good as long as you're diligent with studying on your "off days" when you get home from work (instead of turning on the TV and tuning out, as is far more enjoyable). People will probably tell you this is too hard or too much, but you know yourself and your personal commitment. As long as you're willing to put in the work, you'll get the grades you want.

And no, I wouldn't take calculus at all (I didn't and I got accepted to medical school).

Volunteer gigs at 2 hospitals: Saturday - 8-12PM & Tuesday - 5:30-8:30PM

I don't think you need two different days for volunteering, especially since this is your first semester and you'll have a full-time job; the hours will add up over time if you consistently volunteer, so no need to worry about a lack of them. Keep the Saturday volunteer position, give up the Tuesday night one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually not volunteer for your first semester. I think getting a good first semester should be of utmost importance. Curious what my other non-trads think.

For your first semester (esp if this is your first time taking science classes), I would say this looks a little heavy. Personally, unless your job is one that is mentally very easy, I would either drop one of the classes or one of the volunteering gigs.

Do you have a semester by semester plan? When do you plan on matriculating to med school? The answers to these questions can help determine how to structure your schedule.

I myself have done almost every combination possible, from taking multiple science classes alone w/o working to working full time while studying for the mcat plus volunteering to working part time with one to two classes plus volunteering. For me, the easiest combination to juggle is the last but that requires a more flexible job. Working full-time is nothing to sneeze at and I would highly recommend you not overload yourself and risk not doing well in your prereqs. Not only would it be hard to repair a gpa once it's damaged, you also want to do very well so that your mcat studying is simply a review/learning the test format.

For your first semester (esp if this is your first time taking science classes), I would say this looks a little heavy. Personally, unless your job is one that is mentally very easy, I would either drop one of the classes or one of the volunteering gigs.

Do you have a semester by semester plan? When do you plan on matriculating to med school? The answers to these questions can help determine how to structure your schedule.

I myself have done almost every combination possible, from taking multiple science classes alone w/o working to working full time while studying for the mcat plus volunteering to working part time with one to two classes plus volunteering. For me, the easiest combination to juggle is the last but that requires a more flexible job. Working full-time is nothing to sneeze at and I would highly recommend you not overload yourself and risk not doing well in your prereqs. Not only would it be hard to repair a gpa once it's damaged, you also want to do very well so that your mcat studying is simply a review/learning the test format.

Sorry in advance for the length...much thanks for the advice! My job is definitely not mentally easy (currently in the mental/behavioral health field).
--
For the upcoming semesters, I had mapped out...

Semester #2:
General Biology 2, General Biology Laboratory 2, General Chemistry 2, General Chemistry Laboratory 2

Semester #3:
Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry Lab 1

Semester #4:
Organic Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry Lab 2, Cell Biology

Semester #5:
General Human Anatomy, Human Anatomy Laboratory, Intro to Human Physiology, Human Physiology Laboratory

Semester #6:
Physics 1, Physics Laboratory 1, Developmental Biology

Semester #7:
Physics 2, Physics Laboratory 2, Immunology

Study for MCAT Summer 2018
Matriculate hopefully in 2019
--
I would hopefully like to stay in-state (CA) but am open to schools elsewhere. I haven't made formal list, was waiting for when I take MCAT and get score.

Also, I read somewhere that medical school admission officers want to see that you are taking a full-load during your post-bac...hence, my "planned" schedule.

Three comments on your schedule.

1. I think you would benefit from finishing organic prior to taking biochem.

2. I think you would benefit from taking anatomy prior to taking physiology (or vice versa depending on your school).

3. Do you already have math? Taking a semester of statistics would be helpful.

Three comments on your schedule.

1. I think you would benefit from finishing organic prior to taking biochem.

2. I think you would benefit from taking anatomy prior to taking physiology (or vice versa depending on your school).

3. Do you already have math? Taking a semester of statistics would be helpful.
I took Human Anatomy & Physiology during undergrad; however, I got a C (I was dealing with health issue for a year during undergrad). Was planning on retaking it to get an A.

And yep, took Stats during undergrad and got an A

I took Human Anatomy & Physiology during undergrad; however, I got a C (I was dealing with health issue for a year during undergrad). Was planning on retaking it to get an A.

And yep, took Stats during undergrad and got an A

:thumbup:

I concur with cawolf - don't take biochem prior to orgo. In fact, I think orgo is generally a prereq for biochem in most schools so the computer will probably block you from doing so anyways.

Looking at your schedule, it looks like you have a lot of "extra" classes you're planning to take - extra in the sense that most schools do not actually require them not are they tested outright on the mcat. I also noticed that your mcat timing is precariously close to when you plan on applying (as in, you plan on applying the summer you study and take the mcat).

My suggestion - switch the order of your classes so that you take the actual prereqs first. Then study for the mcat and then take the extra classes. Remember, in your "gap" year (when you apply till when you matriculate), you can also take our extra classes then. So, no need to cram all your classes in before summer of 2018 - esp classes that are only recommended and not actually required.

To get back to your original question - I think, if you don't plan on matriculating until 2019, you can definitely drop a class or one of your two volunteering gigs for right when you start out. Better to ease yourself into things. Since your job sounds demanding, if I were in your shoes I would probably drop bio I.

I think a schedule like this would probably work:

Spring 2016
Gen chem I

Fall 2016
Gen chem ii
Bio I

Spring 2017
Organic chem I
Bio ii

Fall 2017
Biochem
Physics I

Winter 2018
Start studying for mcat

Spring 2018
Physics ii
Study for mcat

Take mcat end of spring 2018 with option of taking it a second time at beginning of summer if you don't like your first score

Fall 2018
Organic chem ii
Extra class - if you want

Spring 2018
Extra class- if you want

All classes should be taken concurrent with their labs (except biochem- most schools don't require a lab if they do require biochem)

Also, if you could take a summer semester class or two, that could lighten your load a lot!

Agree with the MCAT being a bit too late in the game. I think the above suggestion to do the pre-req and MCAT related subjects first, study and take MCAT, then the extra classes as needed.

As far as manageable, that depends on the student. I would think this looks manageable for a solid student with a strong work ethic and good time management and prioritization skills. Might not be doable for some who has been out for awhile or who struggled previously despite really applying themselves.

There's a whole lot of "know thyself" that comes into play as a nontrad premed.

If you arent sure, you could ease into it at first and then build up. For instance you could decrease your volunteering days, or take just one class the first semester. I'm not sure I'd agree with dropping all volunteering that first semester. Some schools look at hours of volunteering and others look at duration of the volunteer experience. You have the potential here to have solid hours and a good duration even if you cut down to one day a week.

Just a side piece of advice, have a plan or routine for studying, but be open to change as well and give yourself some off time. For example, I had a pretty crazy busy semester last spring. I spent half the semester guilt tripping myself for not following my sensible plan to study several evenings after working a pretty mentally taxing job 45-50 hr/wk. finally I said screw it, gave myself permission to read novels and chill after work and did my studying on the weekend. I didnt have a day off from everything, which I'd always felt was a bad idea to be avoided if possible, but it wound up working out well. I felt less guilt, less stressed, and had better focus. So have a plan that makes sense, but feel free to scrap it if you need to.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you don't have a spouse/kids and your job is the kind where you punch out at 5:00 and don't have to think about anything work related until 9:00 A.M. the next day, then I think this schedule is totally doable.

I don't meet any of those criteria, so I opted for one class per semester. That's been very manageable for me so far, 5.5 semesters later. I have a friend who did two classes per semester to speed things up. He is incredibly burned out. Keep an eye on yourself and if necessary scale back. It's better to get to the finish line late than not at all because you burned out.