Class Selection Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKZ95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-vet sophomore undergrad at a top 25 University. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether or not I should retake a Life Sciences Calculus course. I took it last semester and really struggled with it as math is not my stronghold and I was not able to put my full effort into the class. I ended with a D which I fulfills the BIO/ENVS requirements for a major and is considered passing. What I am unsure of is how Vet Schools look at that, do they count that as passing or do I HAVE TO retake it to fulfill requirements. Would you recommend that I retake it or take other classes and keep healing my hurt GPA? I really don't want to retake this class if I don't have to. My school offers another Calculus Class that I could take, but I don't know if I would do any better in that class. I will be taking a stats class through the ENVS dept, if that makes any difference...I still have to take organic chemistry and physics and really don't want to end up being stuck with an incredibly difficult course load later. Any advice for this would help as well as general advice for fulfilling vet school requirements. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should look at each Veterinary Schools website to which you intend to apply to see whether they require calculus or not. If they do require calculus, it is more than likely that you have to have a C- or above in order for the class to count. Please remember that everyone is not a straight A student and that people screw up sometimes. I have done it myself. Look into each school, and decide from there what your best course of action will be.

You should look at each Veterinary Schools website to which you intend to apply to see whether they require calculus or not. If they do require calculus, it is more than likely that you have to have a C- or above in order for the class to count. Please remember that everyone is not a straight A student and that people screw up sometimes. I have done it myself. Look into each school, and decide from there what your best course of action will be.

I passed my first semester of Calculus with a C, I believe most Vet schools that require Calculus only require 3 semester hours which is what this class was https://www.vasci.umass.edu/sites/v...college_prerequisites_-_u.s._universities.pdf
so do you think that would be fine even if I got a D the second semester...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I think that would be fine. I just wouldn't take any more calculus classes. I sucked at calculus to so I only took the one required course.

It depends on the school, but all five of the schools I've applied to accepted my Survey of Calculus I course. I wouldn't say it was easier, but definitely less in-depth. If you are unsure about repeating calculus, see if your school offers something like mine did and see if your chosen veterinary schools would accept it. Only 1/5 of mine actually required a calculus course when I applied, by the way.

I am a pre-vet sophomore undergrad at a top 25 University. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether or not I should retake a Life Sciences Calculus course. I took it last semester and really struggled with it as math is not my stronghold and I was not able to put my full effort into the class. I ended with a D which I fulfills the BIO/ENVS requirements for a major and is considered passing. What I am unsure of is how Vet Schools look at that, do they count that as passing or do I HAVE TO retake it to fulfill requirements. Would you recommend that I retake it or take other classes and keep healing my hurt GPA? I really don't want to retake this class if I don't have to. My school offers another Calculus Class that I could take, but I don't know if I would do any better in that class. I will be taking a stats class through the ENVS dept, if that makes any difference...I still have to take organic chemistry and physics and really don't want to end up being stuck with an incredibly difficult course load later. Any advice for this would help as well as general advice for fulfilling vet school requirements. Thanks.
Hey! Is it possible to retake this in the summer? It will be faster, but you've already seen it once and have some material for it? Also, it could be the sole course you focus on, which could help. The class probably won't take all summer either, so you'll still have time to gain experience, etc? You have my sympathy, Im not a math person. Trigonometry kicked my butt all through high school and college!

Hey! Is it possible to retake this in the summer? It will be faster, but you've already seen it once and have some material for it? Also, it could be the sole course you focus on, which could help. The class probably won't take all summer either, so you'll still have time to gain experience, etc? You have my sympathy, Im not a math person. Trigonometry kicked my butt all through high school and college!

That is a good idea, but I think it would be too expensive and...

I think that I do not have to retake it, because I already passed one semester of Calc which fulfills req. for vet schools as far as I know... Does anyone know if any vet schools require two semesters of calc...and what schools are those?

Last edited:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY VET SCHOOLS REQUIRE TWO SEMESTERS OF CALC...AND WHAT SCHOOLS ARE THOSE?

Ok, all caps on the internet is considered yelling, which is quite rude to do when you are asking for help with something.

Secondly, go to google, type in veterinary schools in the US... there is a list of all schools and their websites on the AAVMC website. Then look at the prereqs yourself. Record what schools require what. It really is not that difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a good idea, but I think it would be too expensive and...

I think that I do not have to retake it, because I already passed one semester of Calc which fulfills req. for vet schools as far as I know... DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY VET SCHOOLS REQUIRE TWO SEMESTERS OF CALC...AND WHAT SCHOOLS ARE THOSE?
I had two semesters of calc, and applied to about 11 US schools. From what I remember, none needed two semesters, but requirements change all the time so I would check with any interested schools. Also, maybe more than one class if your school is on a quarter system versus a semester system?