Class Size and Graduation Rate of COMP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheaterOfTheme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you had any access to the graduation rate at WesterU COMP. For instance, what percentage of those who started the program finish it? Also, how is the school with regard to its large size?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The info is on the website. Keep in mind that on top of our class of 220 we share every class with the 50 pod students.

Personally, I believe the class size is excessive and there are many things the school could do to make things better but doesn't.

The info is on the website. Keep in mind that on top of our class of 220 we share every class with the 50 pod students.

Personally, I believe the class size is excessive and there are many things the school could do to make things better but doesn't.
The graduation rate data seems to not take into account all students but only those "who have completed all requirements". This seems odd to me. And dude, how is the parking there? Is there even enough room to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
The graduation rate data seems to not take into account all students but only those "who have completed all requirements". This seems odd to me. And dude, how is the parking there? Is there even enough room to study?
The only data we have access to is the one the school publishes. Parking is like everywhere. Get there early and you'll be fine. Last year they opened an extra lot.

I think that's the general opinion of literally every single school on this planet.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that's the general opinion of literally every single school on this planet.
I'm being kind, but honestly, I don't believe other schools have it as bad as we do. We have to deal with this Large Group/Small Group and IPE crap.

I'm being kind, but honestly, I don't believe other schools have it as bad as we do. We have to deal with this Large Group/Small Group and IPE crap.

KCU's logistics, testing schedule, the extra non-essential stuffs ( While in the middle of any class we are required to complete a 2-3 week long research assignment that involved working with over 10-15 faculty members and a presentation), and also random hard **** like non-MC anatomy practicals ( Yah, try to dif an epicondyle from a condyle when your professor has not mentioned how he'll label ****), and etc make it hellish for us on more than one occasion.

Idk, maybe I'm just a bit too picky. But I dislike when people make medical school harder than it needs to be just for the sake of lolz.

Reactions: 1 users
KCU's logistics, testing schedule, the extra non-essential stuffs ( While in the middle of any class we are required to complete a 2-3 week long research assignment that involved working with over 10-15 faculty members and a presentation), and also random hard **** like non-MC anatomy practicals ( Yah, try to dif an epicondyle from a condyle when your professor has not mentioned how he'll label ****), and etc make it hellish for us on more than one occasion.

Idk, maybe I'm just a bit too picky. But I dislike when people make medical school harder than it needs to be just for the sake of lolz.
Our practicals are the same. We don't have the research assignment, but believe me, we have equally dumb stuff added on.

Does any school have multiple choice anatomy practicals?!

I agree with above posts in general. I'm okay with class size in my campus but in general the grass is always greener elsewhere.

ure asking all the wrong questions my friend. do some more lurking on sdn to figure out how to pick the right med school.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree with above posts in general. I'm okay with class size in my campus but in general the grass is always greener elsewhere.

DMU.

in albino's posts he has described his school as a "dump" and mentioned numerous problems. Every school has its complaints but perhaps with respect to his school, they are not minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
in albino's posts he has described his school as a "dump" and mentioned numerous problems. Every school has its complaints but perhaps with respect to his school, they are not minor.
I have, and it sucks that it is this way. I really don't understand why when there's such easy solutions and so many faculty members seem to care about students. I have no idea how they make these decisions that simply end up hurting students. Some people think that the school is purposely hurting students this way so that board scores aren't too great and they get a huge chunk of primary care people to keep up appearances, but those are just rumors.

DCOM also. We have like 10 answer choices though, so you do have to know your stuff.

Its all good man. Just remember the Osteopathic oath and your dedication to OMM when it gets tough...

Wow that is almost as many students as AZCOM, and we have Dental and Pod students as well.

We are opening a Veterinary school too, what started out as a small DO school is now becoming a large university.
What these schools need to do is make PhD programs so that the research brings us up on the rankings.

What these schools need to do is make PhD programs so that the research brings us up on the rankings.

With the exception of the state schools only TCOM actually has the facilities for real duty research PhD programs. Most DO schools could expand and produce PhD programs, but they'd be pretty very weak and low tier programs due to lack of prestige and mentors.

I mean, KCU could build a research center for example. However we'd need to recruit some of the best researchers to open labs and continue their work for them to be really effective. That however is a decade long process that will require enormous amount of money for it to be effective.

It's really not feasible without enormous amount of monetary assistance.

A few schools do have Phd programs, I think MSU, TCOM, and PCOM have them.

PCOM's programs are essentially joint programs. They have the students do their graduate studies at associated schools, some of which are not at all prestigious or major producers of quality research in your field. And in that end there's no much significance as your mentor will not be able to give you information to make you a very successful physician-scientist.

With the exception of the state schools only TCOM actually has the facilities for real duty research PhD programs. Most DO schools could expand and produce PhD programs, but they'd be pretty very weak and low tier programs due to lack of prestige and mentors.

I mean, KCU could build a research center for example. However we'd need to recruit some of the best researchers to open labs and continue their work for them to be really effective. That however is a decade long process that will require enormous amount of money for it to be effective.

It's really not feasible without enormous amount of monetary assistance.
WesternU acquired an entirely new building where they could do it. It doesn't matter what the prestige of those PhD programs are. You have to start somewhere. You're not going to wake up to Stanford.