Classes and timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janeausten

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Due to this forum and some hard thinking, I realized I stand a better shot taking more science courses to boost my science GPA from a terrible 3.06. However, fiddling around with a GPA calculator, I can only boost it to 3.23 in the spring. I can boost it to a 3.34, but that would not happen until fall semester ends. My question is: for the next cycle, would taking classes in the fall make a good difference even though dental schools will be already sending out interview invites during that time? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Applicant with low GPA, who shows strong upward trend, some schools tend to wait until your fall grade to make the decision from your pre-december interviews. In your case, I would definitely take classes until fall.

Thanks! My concern is even getting pre-December interviews come next cycle! Do "in progress" classes on AADSAS make a difference in terms of handing out interviews before these classes begin in the fall? Even though it is still early to panic, and I didn't get my hopes up, I am a tad bit upset I did not get any interviews as of yet. I'm really banking on next cycle because I'm not sure if I would want to wait any longer than next cycle to get to dental school.

Depends on hold long the upward trend is.... Lets put it this way, I had an worse GPA, and after 2 years+ of working on it averaging >3.75 GPA, I already have had 2 interviews thus far.... I'de take courses as it may show that your working on your deficiencies. I'm not on a dental admissions committee, so know that this is just my opinion. You do also have to understand that your up against people with stellar GPA's. DAT scores also play a role as well as all the other stuff you probably know about (EC, shadowing...etc).

Personal growth does count as well as what you learned from your experiences...

Just my opinion.

Good luck!