Classes at university or community college to improve gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiral33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for Podiatry school for fall 2011. My cgpa is on the edge of most school cut offs. I am planing to take Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology and Genetics courses in winter quarter. I hold bachelor degree from local university.Taking those classes at my university as a non matriculated student is super expensive. Its like ~$500/ unit credit. Since I am not seeking second bachelor degree I m not eligible for loans or any temporary financial assistance. Is it ok to take those classes at community college? Do pod school care if I took upper division classes at community college than university?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try posting this same question in the "Questions for Scholl College" or a similar thread, as the admissions people for individual schools will have more knowledge on the subject than most.

As a general rule, though, classes at community college look better than no classes, and classes at a 4 year university generally look better than community college (this is true for any grad schools, not just medicine); that being said, do well on your MCAT. A high MCAT score can completely offset a lower than desirable GPA, and demonstrate that you indeed have the capability for success.

Good luck!