Classes just for fun during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you can afford it, why not? You're going to be learning about medicine for the rest of your life, so if you want to learn another language or read the classics, a gap year set of classes is a great way to do so...plus you might snag a killer non-science LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying this cycle (so I can't attest to how exactly doing this pans out), but I did/am doing something similar ... And I say, "YES!". If your story/application/etc. makes it clear that you've been committed to medicine, I can't understand how demonstrating a love of learning will discredit your application. Of course (like OP stated), stick with your clinical volunteering, and perhaps add some additional shadowing experiences as well.

Personally, I'm in the middle of a 1.5 year-long "gap" and I've taken non-science graduate courses, shadowed a wonderful physician, and volunteered in multiple research settings. PM me if you have any questions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
do something not medicine related - this may be your last best chance to pick up a language or do art or music or feel good stuff

leave the science for the fire hose coming for your face

I have been interested in taking some classes I've always wanted to take (but couldn't because of scheduling) during my gap year. These include courses in astronomy, anatomy, classics, and art. Either that, or I'll take on a new language.

Has anyone on here done the same? Would you recommend taking the time off to explore subjects you've always been interested in? I've never heard of someone doing post-bacc work just for fun.
If you want to take some fun and stimulating classes in your gap year because you're interested in different things, have a great time exploring (and pursuing) your different interests. It can be a very positive experience. Fun-fun-fun!

I have done the same thing in the past (e.g., enrolled in an anthropology class for fun). Not only was it fun, interesting and stimulating ... but it also allowed me to *exercise* different areas of my brain which I believe is important to my overall health anyway.

Plus, it provided me with the opportunity to meet many new people who shared the same interest; and two of them eventually became social friends of mine (and we still get together for lunch).

Thank you.