Classes necessary in high school

hippo_crates

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kinda curious as to what classes I should take if I want to go into a pre-med program at any college. Right now I'm taking Honors Chem as a sophomore and have taken Biology and I'm taking Algebra 2 w/ Trig after having taken Geometry and the class sets me down the path for AP Calc. I'm at a bit of a toss up between taking AP Bio or AP Chem or an Anatomy class my junior year and a Physics class my senior year. What should I do for that?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the AP Bio and the AP Chem. No anatomy class in high school or college will remotely prepare you for anatomy in medical school, while the biology and chemistry courses will set strong foundations for concepts that you will be revisiting in pretty much every single science-course lecture you will ever have. Physics is a med school pre-req pretty much everywhere, but it's more of a weed-out thing.

TL;DR: Bio and Chem will set lifelong foundations, Anatomy won't be enough to help, and just learn Physics to pass your college courses and get some MCAT questions right

Reactions: 1 users
Take as many AP courses as you can. They were very helpful for preparing me for university-level work and entering school with a dozen or more college credits is a fantastic way to take an easy semester, take more classes you want to take or even graduate early. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm kinda curious as to what classes I should take if I want to go into a pre-med program at any college. Right now I'm taking Honors Chem as a sophomore and have taken Biology and I'm taking Algebra 2 w/ Trig after having taken Geometry and the class sets me down the path for AP Calc. I'm at a bit of a toss up between taking AP Bio or AP Chem or an Anatomy class my junior year and a Physics class my senior year. What should I do for that?

Take the anatomy and physics class. Though you will get college credit for AP Bio and AP Chem, some medical schools do not count those courses and you will have to retake them down the road again which is something you don't want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
My university counted my AP Bio and AP chem credits as elective credits, and I know my university isn't the only one to do that. Take the courses not so much for the college credit but to build a solid base before beginning your pre-med coursework. Walking in that much ahead of everyone else is a huge advantage!