Classes with Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Some school seem proud to do this, while other schools are proud that they don't do this. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Some school seem proud to do this, while other schools are proud that they don't do this. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It depends on your preferences. Some prefer the ones with medical education because you get a well-rounded education that doesn't just focus on oral health, but integrates some general medicine which is a holistic health care approach.

On the other hand, those who prefer dentistry-only schools can focus on what is important. You will probably have more time to study more dental cases, learn about dentistry in-depth, and probably have more free/clinical time.

doing more work for the same outcome (dds/dmd) is not fun. ive spoken to dental graduares from schools that have dental and med students tke same classes first 2 years...they say they dont rem/ use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
doing more work for the same outcome (dds/dmd) is not fun. ive spoken to dental graduares from schools that have dental and med students tke same classes first 2 years...they say they dont rem/ use it.

I think I lean towards this side. Even lot of doctors tell me that they don't use what they learned first two years of med school.

Perhaps it is a good way for schools to save money.
If any place has a podiatry school too, then throw all three in together!

If you plan on applying for an OMFS residency, I am pretty certain that schools where d-students take classes with med-students will be advantageous.. because you will have to take the NBMEs.

If you plan on applying for an OMFS residency, I am pretty certain that schools where d-students take classes with med-students will be advantageous.. because you will have to take the NBMEs.

Did they settle on the decision for NBMEs? I thought that was just speculation so far.

Did they settle on the decision for NBMEs? I thought that was just speculation so far.

definitely confirmed. You can check out the AAOMS website here's an excerpt:

"To provide OMS applicants an opportunity to measure their understanding of the basic sciences and provide an enhanced mechanism for OMS training programs to evaluate applicants for 2013-2014 residency positions, AAOMS will offer the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®) Comprehensive Basic Science Examination (CBSE) on September 8, 2012.
The NBME CBSE is open to all dental students interested in applying to oral and maxillofacial surgery residency programs. After completion of the examination, applicants will receive an electronic score report within one week from NBME. A copy of the score report will also be provided to the AAOMS. CBSE scores will not be available to medical schools. Dental students with a numeric score on Part 1 of dental boards are not required to take the CBSE."