Classic Video Games.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this thread is emotional candy! Hall of fame level stuff.

Anyone else for the original NBA Jam on Sega Genesis? C'mon, when you'd have little muggsy bogues or someone "on fire" raining down half court threes and triple sow-cow double overhead flip lutz tuck dunks from the opposite baseline....and the theme song!?!? Memories.

Don't forget the backboard shattering and phenomenal commentators.

From downtown!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you play the old NES games nowadays?

Download a NES emulator and ROMs from theoldcomputer.com

I have a SNES emulator and just recently played my way thru Super Metroid and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. Might continue my old Final Fantasy III (six, for you purists out there) game here soon.

I recently bought an arcade console for my basement which is loaded with 24,000 classic games. It includes pretty much every arcade game released up until the mid 90's, all NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, playstation, atari (2600, 5200, 7800), neogeo, turbografix, sega master system, sega genesis, sega saturn, dreamcast titles as well as a few more recent entries like buck hunter, etc. I play a lot of street fighter/mortal kombat on there, but also like busting out 4 player classics like TMNT, the Simpsons, and Sunset Riders. Now that is a massive time suck...

anyone with a buttload of time and $5000 can check out dreamhomearcades.com for a custom build. Mine is in the gallery.

This is awesome! I have now put this on my wish list for my future man cave.

This is awesome! I have now put this on my wish list for my future man cave.

00000362-IMG_0224.JPG

00000363-IMG_0225.JPG

This is mine. Totally a blast going through all the old faves. 1941, bubble bobble, contra, donkey kong, dragon's lair, double dragon, elevator action, gauntlet, ghosts and goblins, off road, kid niki radical ninja, marble madness, 720, shinobi, narc, rush 'n' attack, spy hunter, super mario bros, NBA jamz, tetris, and track and field have been my favorite arcade games to play lately.

NES has some classics as well. I've hit up SMB, zelda, metroid, kid icarus, tecmo bowl, RC pro-am, bionic commando, castlevania, ice hockey, excitebike, megaman, gradius, punch out, metal gear, and wizards and warriors lately. There are crappy NES versions of wizardry and Ultima although they can't beat the old apple 2 Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Ultima series, which I played relentlessly as a kid.

Nothing beats gathering a few dudes and a few (dozen) beers and mashing buttons until the wives start freaking out. They like to comment that our average "guys' night" is more like a junior high sleepover than a bachelor party.

Just spent the last 5 hours playing A Link to the Past. It was pretty awesome.

00000362-IMG_0224.JPG

00000363-IMG_0225.JPG

This is mine. Totally a blast going through all the old faves. 1941, bubble bobble, contra, donkey kong, dragon's lair, double dragon, elevator action, gauntlet, ghosts and goblins, off road, kid niki radical ninja, marble madness, 720, shinobi, narc, rush 'n' attack, spy hunter, super mario bros, NBA jamz, tetris, and track and field have been my favorite arcade games to play lately.

NES has some classics as well. I've hit up SMB, zelda, metroid, kid icarus, tecmo bowl, RC pro-am, bionic commando, castlevania, ice hockey, excitebike, megaman, gradius, punch out, metal gear, and wizards and warriors lately. There are crappy NES versions of wizardry and Ultima although they can't beat the old apple 2 Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Ultima series, which I played relentlessly as a kid.

Nothing beats gathering a few dudes and a few (dozen) beers and mashing buttons until the wives start freaking out. They like to comment that our average "guys' night" is more like a junior high sleepover than a bachelor party.

I want one!!
Now!!
:)
But It has to wait until my final place.
After fellowship..... Oosshaaa.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely don't plan to move after you get one. 500 pounds and very very awkward. almost died (and took two friends with me) getting it down a hill to my walkout basement and had to take the control panel off to get it through the door. A very delicate proposition with a large unwieldly (and expensive) bit of business.

Anyone else out there find the whole "Sonic The Hedgehog" franchise to be aggravating as hell?

Initially, I played it and thought - "Wow, this is fun, Sonic is fast as all-hell and there's loops and jumps and tunnels and a;dslkfj;akdm;ladskjf;aldfkja;ldfk." Then, after two more levels I was like - "Welp, there goes another area that I wanted to explore but will never see again because there's no way to tell it was even there before you blew clean past it."

Anyone else out there find the whole "Sonic The Hedgehog" franchise to be aggravating as hell?

Initially, I played it and thought - "Wow, this is fun, Sonic is fast as all-hell and there's loops and jumps and tunnels and a;dslkfj;akdm;ladskjf;aldfkja;ldfk." Then, after two more levels I was like - "Welp, there goes another area that I wanted to explore but will never see again because there's no way to tell it was even there before you blew clean past it."

I always thought of Sonic as the poor man's Super Mario.

Was pretty young when Sonic came out but I agree. Its definitely not as classic, but Super Mario World for the 64 was IMHO simply amazing. Never got the acclaim it deserved.

Was pretty young when Sonic came out but I agree. Its definitely not as classic, but Super Mario World for the 64 was IMHO simply amazing. Never got the acclaim it deserved.

I still only have 119 of the frickin' 120 stars. Might have to dust off the 64 and go for that final piece of glory.

Atari 2600 --> Atari 800 with tape loading games with Zepplin my favorite and some Popeye game-->Apple IIe

I played Karateka on Apple. don't remember it being on 2600.

Apple IIe:
SSI turn based war games
Oregon trail - educational angle sold to mom
Wizardy- first graphics based adventure game I completed. :)
Legacy of Llylgamyn
Infocom games - two words parsers were so frustrating especially when you found out you needed to "say 'hello sailor'" in Zork III to have that guy talk to you. "say hi' did not work. Wasted hours on him.
DigDug
Ultima series
Bard's tale

super NES:
tecmo football - we'd play 2 v 2 and had a rule no diving allowed within 10 yards of end zone because you could dive for 3-5 yards easy. To this day me and buds talk about a controversial game where "you dove".

NES:
RBI baseball. I was always the fast St Louis team and my brother would pick a home run hitting team. I lost often but it was sweet victories when I won. :)
Tecmo football of course
Zelda
Megaman

Atari 2600 --> Atari 800 with tape loading games with Zepplin my favorite and some Popeye game-->Apple IIe

I played Karateka on Apple. don't remember it being on 2600.

Apple IIe:
SSI turn based war games
Oregon trail - educational angle sold to mom
Wizardy- first graphics based adventure game I completed. :)
Legacy of Llylgamyn
Infocom games - two words parsers were so frustrating especially when you found out you needed to "say 'hello sailor'" in Zork III to have that guy talk to you. "say hi' did not work. Wasted hours on him.
DigDug
Ultima series
Bard's tale

super NES:
tecmo football - we'd play 2 v 2 and had a rule no diving allowed within 10 yards of end zone because you could dive for 3-5 yards easy. To this day me and buds talk about a controversial game where "you dove".

NES:
RBI baseball. I was always the fast St Louis team and my brother would pick a home run hitting team. I lost often but it was sweet victories when I won. :)
Tecmo football of course
Zelda
Megaman

YES!!!! The Diving!!!!!!

Up up down down left right left right start select?

Up. Up. Down. Down. Left. Right. Left. Right. B. A. (select for two-player). Start.

I fired up some Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in the wee hours at work last night (empty department from 4-6 AM)

They just dont make 'em like they used to.

Can anyone recommend a good XBOX MLB sim ? (I haven't played a MLB game in years).

Up. Up. Down. Down. Left. Right. Left. Right. B. A. (select for two-player). Start.

I fired up some Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in the wee hours at work last night (empty department from 4-6 AM)

They just dont make 'em like they used to.

Can anyone recommend a good XBOX MLB sim ? (I haven't played a MLB game in years).

Zelda a link to the past. Best Zelda ever!

So I'm playing Super Metroid on emulator. I didn't grab the charge beam when I was near it and now I'm too far past it and I can't get back.

I think I discovered some kind of glitch. Pretty sure I'm screwed...

That damned map! Now I know what I'll be doing during my break. :D

That damned map! Now I know what I'll be doing during my break. :D

Yep. I play this game once every 18 months or so... just long enough for me to have forgotten most of the nuances, etc. Castelvania: Symphony of the Night is on that list as well.

Yep. I play this game once every 18 months or so... just long enough for me to have forgotten most of the nuances, etc. Castelvania: Symphony of the Night is on that list as well.

I've been so caught up on these fps games that I neglect the old gold. With that said, I was actually a big fan of Metroid Prime I.

FPS = least innovative genre in gaming, period.

Hey, I got an idea for a new game... there's a dystopian wasteland environment, plenty of guns, shadowy hegemonic antagonists, a first-perso.... waaaait a minute...

I don't even want to walk into a EB games/whatever because that's all I see. Same game, BattleFieldHomeFrontWastelandCommunistEnemyAlienWhateverFront-4

Hey, I got an idea for a new game... there's a dystopian wasteland environment, plenty of guns, shadowy hegemonic antagonists, a first-perso.... waaaait a minute...

I don't even want to walk into a EB games/whatever because that's all I see. Same game, BattleFieldHomeFrontWastelandCommunistEnemyAlienWhateverFront-4

Every era has its saturated genre, it seems.
Mid-nineties: mascot platformers and 1-on-1 fighting games (due to Sonic and SFII)
New millennium: JRPGs (due to FF VII)
Now: FPS with big hulking protagonists and automatically rechargeable life meters, eliminating any challenge from the games.(in response to Halo)

What about old school game soundtracks? Yuzo Koshiro is the boss!

Agree. The only reason to pick up a new game in a fps series is to be able to still find people online to whoop.

I'm a much bigger fan of series like Zelda, Metroid, and any decent RPG. These require more time than I typically have.

For days that don't allow any significant play time: fps.

Some good old apple games:

Dark Castle

Shufflepuck

Crystal Quest

Also played a lot of the original sim city on my black and white Mac Plus paired to a whopping 45MB external hard drive.

Oh yeah, and the early Carmen Sandiego games were always a fun educational experience.

Wow. Just remembered another classic one too: Cosmic Osmo. Anyone??

Every era has its saturated genre, it seems.
Mid-nineties: mascot platformers and 1-on-1 fighting games (due to Sonic and SFII)
New millennium: JRPGs (due to FF VII)
Now: FPS with big hulking protagonists and automatically rechargeable life meters, eliminating any challenge from the games.(in response to Halo)

What about old school game soundtracks? Yuzo Koshiro is the boss!

Yeah, I have to agree. I'd like to see a "new" JRPG that didn't suck (everything after FF9 was awful, IMO). Stick to the basics: Knight, Thief, Various Mages, each with their own non-overlapping skillset and enough weapons/armor/accessories/sidequests to spend 48+ hours on. Turn-based combat or active-time battle matters not; just have the AI make sense... I don't want AI-controlled mages casting ZOMGNuke! on a band of 2 imps when a clean swipe with a dagger will do the job just as easily.

If anyone can suggest sources of good "old" game music, I'm all ears. I work a lot of nightshifts, and we need some good tunes.

In my opinion, there are no better games on this planet that surpass FF 2 and 3 (american release). I spent hundreds of hours on those games. As someone pointed out in this or the other thread, the operahouse scene in FF3 is second to none.

My only criticism of FF3 (FF6 if you want) is that the "Espers" rendered character class useless. Suddenly, a magic-based character (Celes, Terra) became an uber-strong warrior after some level-ups with the right bonuses attached.

Good call, actually. It's still a toss up for me between the two. Flying to the moon in FF2 was pretty mind-warping. And Zemus/Zeromus was so evil. I still have that game in it's original box somewhere... need to crack that sucker back out.

Good game music that most people don't really know about:

1. Matt Uelman: Diablo and Diablo II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHj56_F3v-0

2. Motoi Sakuraba: basically anything from his days doing Grenada for the Genesis to now, with Baten Kaitos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgpLY72-Xg&playnext=1&list=PLE71CE8AF98288202&feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWt2C5BnYOs&playnext=1&list=PLE8EB410BC23865C4&feature=results_main

3. Yuzo Koshiro: Actraiser II and Streets of Rage II are his best works. Lots of people have remixed Streets of Rage's soundtrack and many do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TvrYlLojfU&playnext=1&list=PLE181C1F31583D0D7&feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrF3WPi_7uI

4. Super Paper Mario: I don't know who composed this soundtrack but its like they resurrected Jaco Pastorius for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJq2s3PlC6c

5. Nier: never played the game but the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22L5hPLZWb0

6. Shadowrun (SNES): this is one of the earliest "film noir" style games out there, and it has one of the best soundtracks. Interestingly, the creators of the Shadowrun d20 game have developed a sequel, soon to be released, that borrows heavily from this one. They even recruited the same composer. This is my most anticipated game of 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytoW4lF03fA&playnext=1&list=PL2D5FC9FCF1AEF68C&feature=results_main

7. Super Castlevainia IV: I don't know whose idea it was to make a soundtrack composed of freeform jazz, but I approve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTpJUzOhOTo&list=PL2528F4AB5484907F

This is just the tip of the iceberg of my knowledge of video game soundtracks.

Good call, actually. It's still a toss up for me between the two. Flying to the moon in FF2 was pretty mind-warping. And Zemus/Zeromus was so evil. I still have that game in it's original box somewhere... need to crack that sucker back out.

Hold onto that. Collector's item. :)

I played "Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego?" on an online emulation site not long ago, and was turbopissed when it didn't work juuuust right.

6. Shadowrun (SNES): this is one of the earliest "film noir" style games out there, and it has one of the best soundtracks. Interestingly, the creators of the Shadowrun d20 game have developed a sequel, soon to be released, that borrows heavily from this one. They even recruited the same composer. This is my most anticipated game of 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytoW4lF03fA&playnext=1&list=PL2D5FC9FCF1AEF68C&feature=results_main
I've also been looking forward to this one for some time. Kickstarter has been a boon to the mid-level RPG studio: Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun Returns.

By the way, check out Gog (Good Old Games), where you can download tons of these for a few bucks.

You can actually play thru Chrono Trigger in less time than you really think. I did it once as an MS3 during a rotation where... lets just say I wasn't so heavily supervised. All you need is ZSNES and a ROM.

I cannot resist posting anymore! I loved those games. They really don't make them like they used to.

NES:

Too many to list, but Contra, Pro Wrestling, Kung Fu, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy (the original), Dragon Warrior, Castelvania, and Super Mario 3 were gold.

Super NES:

Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back/ and Return of the Jedi

N64:

Goldeneye
Mario Kart