Classic Video Games.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's an N64 in the IM lounge at my hospital. Needless to say the off-service EM residents are commonly found in there mowing each down on GoldenEye (no oddjob allowed).

Members don't see this ad.

One of the best games of all time.
It's available in psn now. And so is chrono cross the ps1 sequel.
But ain't nobody got time for that!! Lol
I can only hope.

I have this game on three consoles. SNES, PS1, Nintendo DS.

And I play it at least once each year. Every year. There won't be a game this well thought out for a long time.

And I must second everything about super metroid. The ones for the GBA were pretty good as well, mainly because they followed the formula.

FPS = least innovative genre in gaming, period.

Hey, I got an idea for a new game... there's a dystopian wasteland environment, plenty of guns, shadowy hegemonic antagonists, a first-perso.... waaaait a minute...

I don't even want to walk into a EB games/whatever because that's all I see. Same game, BattleFieldHomeFrontWastelandCommunistEnemyAlienWhateverFront-4

i think the most fun and enticing console based games today are the RPG Elder Scrolls Oblivion type. Can play forever. So many scenarios. Different characters and storylines. They are the best option apart from the MMORPGs

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to GameStop yesterday. Bought "Midway Arcade Origins" and "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow". The former is pretty great, but the xbox controls "lose" something. The latter is pretty "meh". I'm tired of all Castlevania games being "too dark to see". I get it; Dark Ages, Gothic creepiness, castle-y stuff... but does it have to mean that it all *has* to be black ? You can be moonlit-scary and still capture the feeling.

I forgot I even had this. It has a lot of cool games but the controls aren't very good so it's more nostalgic than fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 57
Halo 2 and morrowind. The best

I love this thread. I just.....man.

Some of my favorite videogame memories are from 2D arcade fighting games. Street Fighter II. You always have your favorite, and your best friend has his which just happens to be the only one that can defeat your character AND THAT MOVE IS SO F@#CKING CHEAP MAN, ONLY LITTLE GIRLS CHOOSE DHALSIM. And so you stand there plugging quarter after quarter into the machine just to get the one win.

Oh, and Marvel vs. Capcom if you're playing with friends (strangers tend to be waaay too good for whatever reason).

Also, later, Perfect Dark. Goldeneye but....better.

RustedFox: If you're not just looking for classic games, check out Clash of Heroes on Xbox Live. It's...different. I love it.

And finally, did anyone ever play Gladius?

In addition to the great titles already listed, I have a few. Gradius 3 & Life Force for SNES.

Also I'd like to add a much unknown title to the mix: General Chaos for Sega genesis. Soooo many awesome hours wasted on that game with my cousin on mountain dew fueled overnighter sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh crap I almost forgot... add these to the list as well. "Rock 'N Roll Racing" and "The Lost Vikings" for SNES. I think I rented those games over 15 times each. SUCH CLASSICS.

I love this thread. I just.....man.

Some of my favorite videogame memories are from 2D arcade fighting games. Street Fighter II. You always have your favorite, and your best friend has his which just happens to be the only one that can defeat your character AND THAT MOVE IS SO F@#CKING CHEAP MAN, ONLY LITTLE GIRLS CHOOSE DHALSIM. And so you stand there plugging quarter after quarter into the machine just to get the one win.

Hate Dhalsim.

King of Fighters was also worth the time spent, though it fell off towards the 'newer' iterations, with the 3D one being absolute trash.

Guys: I'm an XBOX-only gamer, and I need the name of the best baseball sim I can get. "The SHOW" is PS3-only, so pffft to that.

Hate Dhalsim.

King of Fighters was also worth the time spent, though it fell off towards the 'newer' iterations, with the 3D one being absolute trash.

Guys: I'm an XBOX-only gamer, and I need the name of the best baseball sim I can get. "The SHOW" is PS3-only, so pffft to that.

I'm not huge into the sports games, but I may be able to help you out a bit. What are you looking for in the game?

No idea. Last baseball sim that I played was "HardBall!" by Accolade in 1992.

+100 points to anyone who recognizes THAT game.

Accolade. Damn. I really did not enjoy that developer. They made Ballz, and that's just wrong.

No idea. Last baseball sim that I played was "HardBall!" by Accolade in 1992.

+100 points to anyone who recognizes THAT game.

I remember playing an earlier iteration on my Apple IIe. I loved the Bases Loaded game for NES where Omaha was a power house.

There's an N64 in the IM lounge at my hospital. Needless to say the off-service EM residents are commonly found in there mowing each down on GoldenEye (no oddjob allowed).

We've got COD MW3 in our lounge. One of the many things they've placed to prevent us from moving onto subsequent years.

What... no Pong lovers???

Coleco -vision? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller?

Good news and bad news RustedFox:

Bad news: I've tried (as in just got back from visiting a friend) most of the current gen baseball games that are not Blitz-esque. They're terrible. Just stay away completely.

Good News: I think All Star Baseball 2005 is backwards compatible. That was my friend's suggestion. He still plays on the original Xbox though.

Bad News: Apparently it can be tough to find.

Good News: He said, and I quote (which you'll notice because of the punctuation I'm using to surround the words): "2K7 doesn't make me want to puke all the way. Just a little bit. Enough to taste my breakfast orange juice." Soooo....there you have it.

Pong and the original Pac-Man were before my time.

We had a great table-top version of Mrs. Pac-Man at our local Pizza Hut (my brother and I would watch it while our order was getting ready). And I loved the booth-style Star Wars Arcade game. This would have been 1984 or 1985 I'm guessing.

Friend on our block had Colecovision and everyone else had crappy Atari. Coleco had lack of games and might have been more expensive so did not last long.

We played the baseball game which I think was nearly as good as RBI baseball which may have come out a decade later on Nintendo.

Also remember Donkey Kong and Soccer on there too.

I just read some of the reviews for MLB 2K13. Bad.

Maan. Not buying a PS3 just for one game. Pffft. :(

If you like baseball sim you might need to. Get it used.

MLB the show 13 is awesome. I find myself playing it over and over again, and it has taken my cod bo2 online time away.

If you like baseball sim you might need to. Get it used.

MLB the show 13 is awesome. I find myself playing it over and over again, and it has taken my cod bo2 online time away.

... get it used.... that's a goooood idea.

I do need a baseball sim. I feel the ache in my shoulders for it.

In other recent Classic Gaming news... I spent 20-30 minutes watching a playthrough of S.T.U.N. Runner on YouTube the other day. Totally worth it. Anyone else remember that'n?

Not classic but....

The new Xbox which was announced today looks awesome....

Remember how I was all kvetching for a baseball sim ?

Downloaded (free app) "9 Innings" for Android. Its good. Has a very "Hardball!" feel to it, and has up-to-date MLB rosters.

Played it for a bit at work last night. Ask me if my charts are done...a a;lkdsjf;alkdsjfa;lkjdfs

Bump because I played "MegaRace" the other day, and downloaded "Gurk 3" (8-bit RPG candy) for my android-based phone.

I'm going to throw this out there, and all comments/criticisms are welcome:

I was on my laptop the other day, putzing around, sitting at my kitchen table, drinking a beer. Something happened which I'm sure that you're all familiar with: "(Program) not responding...wait? Shut down? Whatever?" - You can click options like 'wait' and 'shut down', but nothing ever happens, and you're forced to open task manager and kill the process tree to get any workable progress.

I said (out loud, unaware that techie-wifey was within earshot): "Eff this. I'm ready for windows to die."

I have more to say, but I want to squelch it to wait and see who says what.

Anyone ever play RBI on NES? Loved that game.

Loved it. I would always pick StL (loved grinding with base running, no real power hitters, and needed to manage pitchers well) and my brother would pick some HR hitting team. I have the ROM on my android. Would love to play it on the big screen with my brother again. I seriously think that is one of the best video sports game ever made.

Bump because I played "MegaRace" the other day, and downloaded "Gurk 3" (8-bit RPG candy) for my android-based phone.

I'm going to throw this out there, and all comments/criticisms are welcome:

I was on my laptop the other day, putzing around, sitting at my kitchen table, drinking a beer. Something happened which I'm sure that you're all familiar with: "(Program) not responding...wait? Shut down? Whatever?" - You can click options like 'wait' and 'shut down', but nothing ever happens, and you're forced to open task manager and kill the process tree to get any workable progress.

Yea, I switched from Winblows to Mac a few years ago. I use bootcamp and still use Windows 8 for certain games but Windows 8 blows. Most of my games I can play on the Mac side... I haven't had a lot of time lately but I've been beta testing the World of Warcraft Hearthstone game. It's kind of like a Magic the Gathering card game. Quick games, easy to play a few and then put down unlike anything else Blizzard related. Tons of fun. I download tons of games for my iPad but never get around to playing them. Skyrim I still find time to boot up from time to time. Love that game.

NECROBUMP FTW LOLZ !

Played my way thru megaman 2 thru 6 recently, and then my google-fu found me a giant collection of MP3s of the stage music. I have a one-hour drive to work at my current gig, so music and podcasts/etc are key.

Faves:

Top Man (stage music ")
Spark Man "
Dust Man "
Flame Man "
Tomahawk Man "

Protoman "Theme" (low whistle)
MM4 intro.

You guys take it from here.

whoa ^ where was that site/location of the megaman tunes? I LOVE those tracks.
PS... anyone who gets hit hard in the nostalgia bone when they head classiv video game sound tracks, check out www.di.fm and go to the 'chiptunes' stream... all 8-bit midi tracks. It's awesome.

Favs
- megaman classics (1-6)
- megaman x (1 and 2... got weird after that)
- ANY metroid game (other M wasn't terrible, LOVED prime, STILL can't beat the orig.)
- Zelda (all really, but the orig., oc of time, and wind waker are incredible)

Here are some wicked tunes I am totally digging right now, from some very obscure old games (all of which I played because I am a nerd)

Bloody Wolf:

- a very awesome laid back 80s-style jam. Deadly.

- the game's theme song, if you will. Total 80s-show theme song type music.

...and then some dude decides to do a metal cover of it, which is boss hoss:

Granada:

The entire soundtrack is insanely good, which makes sense given its one of Motoi Sakuraba's earlier efforts.

And is it just me or is the bass to every single song in this game kind of legendary?

I was always a big fan of Super Mario Brothers. Well, my kids got a Wii recently and it has Super Mario Brothers 3D World. Just as fun and addicting and really only a little bit easier. Still haven't won the thing.

whoa ^ where was that site/location of the megaman tunes? I LOVE those tracks.
PS... anyone who gets hit hard in the nostalgia bone when they head classiv video game sound tracks, check out www.di.fm and go to the 'chiptunes' stream... all 8-bit midi tracks. It's awesome.

Favs
- megaman classics (1-6)
- megaman x (1 and 2... got weird after that)
- ANY metroid game (other M wasn't terrible, LOVED prime, STILL can't beat the orig.)
- Zelda (all really, but the orig., oc of time, and wind waker are incredible)

http://wiki.themmnetwork.com/index.php?title=Music_Archive

Two NES gems totally worthy of mention:

1.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
2.) Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Playing thru both of them in recent days for one good reason: they're freaking HARD. I read the term "Nintendo Hard" the other day on some website whilst browsing and said to myself: "Yep. That's a term that captures the frustration of my youth perfectly, right there."

Regarding Adv... Magic Kingdom. Maaan. Not only do I remember that there was a 95% likelihood of me throwing the controller at the TV when I played as a kid, but I was in the magic kingdom for the first time (I live and work in Florida) at age 32.

It really is magical. I want to go back like, every day.

Two NES gems totally worthy of mention:

1.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
2.) Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Playing thru both of them in recent days for one good reason: they're freaking HARD. I read the term "Nintendo Hard" the other day on some website whilst browsing and said to myself: "Yep. That's a term that captures the frustration of my youth perfectly, right there."

Regarding Adv... Magic Kingdom. Maaan. Not only do I remember that there was a 95% likelihood of me throwing the controller at the TV when I played as a kid, but I was in the magic kingdom for the first time (I live and work in Florida) at age 32.

It really is magical. I want to go back like, every day.

Space Mountain = ragequit

Space Mountain = ragequit

Yep. How about; I didn't know that you could throw the candle on "Pirates of the Caribbean" and take out fools that way? I spent hours jumping around like an autistic child after a 2 liter of Mt.Dew trying to avoid baddies and cannon fire.