Clean Shaven for ERAS photo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying into Psych, and I have a beard. It's not a super long beard, it's usually decently trimmed, but it's there. I've been advised by some of my classmates applying into other fields that I should shave it for my ERAS photo? Others have told me not to worry about it. I wanted to get you guys' advice. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

After match this year, my program coordinator sent us a list of everyone in our incoming class, using our ERAS photos as the pictures. 4 of the 5 guys who matched had beards, myself included. Embrace the power of the beard.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look good, don't have a crappy photo.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on your scores. If you have good scores, then you'll be that cool bearded guy, but if you're below average then you'll be the "beardo underachiever" looking guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If it makes any difference, I noticed almost every guy on the Bachelorette this season has a beard. I think it's the new normal.

In today's world, the only real risk is that sporting a really good beard can make other guys jelly.

You face a dilemma. You want to sport a cool beard like everyone else, but not so cool that you make the PD jelly.

Without a doubt, psychiatry is the most beard friendly specialty. I have seen tongue studs, ear loops and tattoos. Hard to get worked up over a beard.

If a program won't take you because of a beard, that's pretty much a good indicator to look elsewhere. Your beard will be the least of the static you'd likely encounter there in four years.

If a program won't take you because of a beard, that's pretty much a good indicator to look elsewhere. Your beard will be the least of the static you'd likely encounter there in four years.

A friend of mine interviewed at LSU-Shreveport. He was told by a disgruntled resident that the PD sent out a memo earlier in the month requiring that all males be clean shaven, regardless of religious preference. He said the residents banded together and no one shaved for about 2 weeks.

Needless to say, my friend didn't rank the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I kind of like man buns, as long as the attitude of the person with it is good. I feel the same way about dreds, earings, etc.
I can't pull these off, though, myself. I can sport a nice beard.
If I told my 1980s rocker self I'd be wearing a suit now, I'd probably laughed.

Throw a gang sign in your picture.

When I was on neuro, one of the nurses once correctly identified me and another guy as the rotating psych interns because of our beards.

If I'm a program director someday, a rating of beard quality will make up 20% of each male applicant's overall score when we're ranking them. If the applicant doesn't have a beard, it will suffice to have an adequately lame but professional hairstyle. If a female applicant has a beard, she gets bonus points.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine interviewed at LSU-Shreveport. He was told by a disgruntled resident that the PD sent out a memo earlier in the month requiring that all males be clean shaven, regardless of religious preference. He said the residents banded together and no one shaved for about 2 weeks.

Needless to say, my friend didn't rank the program.

In b4 EEO....

Make sure to let the photographer know that you dont want your sweater vest cropped out. That would surely be a disaster.

Here's the look you want to shoot for...
film-the_hangover_part_2-2011-alan-zach_galifianakis-tops-fila_vest.jpg