Cleft palate repair - in the scope of an ocuplastic surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twintiger32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, do Oculoplastic surgeons get training in cleft lip/palate repair? Or does it depend on the fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just discussin this with an oculoplastic surgeon the other day - His take on the subject was that routine fellowships do not train in the routine repair of cleft palate - this is more in the realm of plastics or ENT's who then do plastics or craniofacial fellowships. He did mention that oculoplastic surgeons are sometimes consulted if orbital structures are involved, but this is a rarity. Moreover, he said that back in the day oculoplastic fellowships allowed one to do a wider breadth of cases than now - cases that involved more facial and cranial aspects. Now-a-days, the fellowships are mostly focused in/around the orbit and the fellows participate more in team based cases - i.e. NSx, ENTs and oculoplastics working together to remove a skull based schwannoma, etc, etc.

what are some of the cases that oculoplastic surgeons do?

what are some of the cases that oculoplastic surgeons do?

just some of the top of my head - ptosis, entropion, ectropion, reconstruction of eyelid, and periorbital tumors, lacrimal problems, orbital tumors, thyroid eye disease, dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR), blepharospasm, virtually any functional or cosmetic deformity of the eyelids i.e. blepharoplasty