CLEP tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I only have 2 gen ed classes left to take. 1 is lit. and another one is humanities. I am considering clepping out of these because it would be shorter and less expensive and i have no interest in these classes. The only thing is that I have between 16-20 hours every semester. I was wondering if any of yall have taken these during college and if so how did you manage to balance your other classes with clep studying?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't clep. Those easy classes will boost your cGPA.

Depends. I didn't clep, but got AP credit for a few things. If its a pre req, some schools will want to see you take a higher level course in the same subject. Some schools have humanities courses or writing intensive courses as part of their pre reqs, so keep an eye on that. If your gpa needs help, certainly keep that in mind, but I've known more than a few people get bitten in the rear after assuming classes like that were easy fluff classes. sometimes they are massively more work and grading is more subjective.

If you're ok to meet various school's prereqs and GPA isn't a prob, I don't think it'd hurt to try to save some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I CLEPed Biology I&II and History on the Army's dime about 12 years ago. The exams were very easy to prepare for - maybe two dedicated weekends of studying? Your school library may have free study materials, and Amazon will sell you exam-specific guides for $20/ea. Use them and you'll be fine. The format is very forgiving.

Read up on your college's policy on scores, credit hours, and how CLEP credits will read on your transcript. My CLEP credits didn't seem to impact my applications. EDIT: This isn't always the case. Check the MSAR or individual school websites to confirm compatibility. GENEDs may still be fine, but don't use my experience as proof that it works universally for pre-req classes.

Play to your strengths and the operating environment. If you're already overwhelmed with classes in school, even easy classes will bog you down. If school is easy, pad the GPA.

*edited to disclaim bad advice.

Last edited:
I CLEPed Biology I&II and History on the Army's dime about 12 years ago. The exams were very easy to prepare for - maybe two dedicated weekends of studying? Your school library may have free study materials, and Amazon will sell you exam-specific guides for $20/ea. Use them and you'll be fine. The format is very forgiving.

Read up on your college's policy on scores, credit hours, and how CLEP credits will read on your transcript. My CLEP credits didn't seem to impact my applications.

Play to your strengths and the operating environment. If you're already overwhelmed with classes in school, even easy classes will bog you down. If school is easy, pad the GPA.
Did you take any higher level bio classes?

Depends. I didn't clep, but got AP credit for a few things. If its a pre req, some schools will want to see you take a higher level course in the same subject. Some schools have humanities courses or writing intensive courses as part of their pre reqs, so keep an eye on that. If your gpa needs help, certainly keep that in mind, but I've known more than a few people get bitten in the rear after assuming classes like that were easy fluff classes. sometimes they are massively more work and grading is more subjective.

If you're ok to meet various school's prereqs and GPA isn't a prob, I don't think it'd hurt to try to save some money.
At my institution they're easy.. ended up padding my cGPA.

Reactions: 1 user