Clep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So my grades are not too hot right now... Actually they are quite miserable (I will be a sophomore). However, I was thinking of doing so cleping. I am fluently tri lingual and wanted to clep Spanish, since I scored over the requirement my school free Spanish placement quiz. I also wanted to clep Intro to sociology, so i could get credits and save some so i can retake my c and c+... Would medical school like that or dislike my cleping?

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it behoove you to take the basic language courses and ace them? To my knowledge, most schools simply put on your transcript that you got class credit, not necessarily that you aced it or anything.

If you need to bring up your GPA, then you'll want to take classes that you feel like you can pass. Maybe an action plan for your other classes may work for you?

I'm not sure if there's a built in bias for or against CLEP/AP classes. I know that if you use them to replace science credits, they want to see you attempt higher class work. I don't think they're as stringent on non-science classes.

If your GPA is low, then CLEP probably isn't best for you. If I were you I'd take Spanish for a grade to raise your GPA. I had a very high GPA in undergraduate and absolutely loved CLEP. It allowed me to test out of several classes that would have been very time-consuming, giving me more time to focus on classes I enjoyed, such as biochemistry and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to clep out of those two so I could retake classes which I would have gotten an A in if I didn't do stupid mistakes and gotten a C and c+ in Chem 1 (b+ in chem 2) and I got c and c+ in bio 1 and 2 (took in 12 weeks over summer (NOT SMART I KNOW))... I wanted to take bio chem and see if I could master that or orgo... Shouldn't I raise my science gpa by cleping non science classes? Or should I just raise my gpa overll?

I wanted to clep out of those two so I could retake classes which I would have gotten an A in if I didn't do stupid mistakes and gotten a C and c+ in Chem 1 (b+ in chem 2) and I got c and c+ in bio 1 and 2 (took in 12 weeks over summer (NOT SMART I KNOW))... I wanted to take bio chem and see if I could master that or orgo... Shouldn't I raise my science gpa by cleping non science classes? Or should I just raise my gpa overll?

If you want to apply to MD schools, retaking a C will only net you a B, assuming you can get an A in the retake. Retakes are averaged with the previous score. You'd be better off putting those bad grades behind you and putting your effort into not making those same mistakes so that you can get A's in the rest of your science and non-science classes.

Your overall GPA is also important, not just your science GPA. Med schools want well-rounded individuals, not just science superstars. I'd advise against the CLEP tests, just take the courses and do well in them.

Okay thank you!! I know I have a guaranteed A in chem 1 if I retake it... but it would average to a b+... Would cleping Spanish 1 and taking Spanish 2 be better that way I raise my over all grades and retake chem 1?