***Cleveland Clinic Lerner College Of Medicine!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_MDPhD_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, Lets get this party started!

Who else?

Members don't see this ad.

Party's on! I'm 99% sure I will be attending... How could you turn down the Cleveland Clinic? No grades, no lectures, no tests... coupled with the #3 hospital in the country = no brainer. I predict that within 10 years CCLCM will be one of the top 20 medical schools in the country, and I can't wait to be part of it. I'll be seeing you in July!

Hi all, I'm a current first year student here. Just wanted to drop by and say congrats to the acceptees, and I hope to see you all at the second look weekend in March. :) If you have any questions, feel free to post them or PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone looking at the Cleveland housing market yet? I have, and I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked. If anyone has recommendations for a real estate agent, post here as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anyone looking at the Cleveland housing market yet? I have, and I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked. If anyone has recommendations for a real estate agent, post here as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey MDPhD Doc. Congrats on your acceptance to cleveland clinic... you'll get a GREAT education here... seriously.

My agent, Debi, is PHENOMENAL.

Here is her info:

Debi McNab
Howard Hanna Smythe Cramer
216-225-0123

Just tell her that Dustin referred you. I don't get anything out of it, but I wanted to recommend her 'cause she's good.

Who's coming for second look weekend in March? You guys should definitely come if you can. We had a really great time last year, plus it gives you a better chance to see the school and meet your potential classmates when you're not dressed up in suits and stressing over interviews. :)

Thanks for the real estate info... and yes, I'm planning on coming for second look, I might be spending the week house hunting...The more I hear about CCLCM, the more excited I get. See you then.

My wife and I are planning on attending the second look weekend, too. CCLCM is, by default, my current top choice.. :)

And actually not a bad top choice. I'm holding out to see if I get to choose between my one state school and CCLCM.

Ok, so I'm actually just bumping the CCLCM thread.. :)

-------------------------

I just got accepted to the MSTP program at Univ. of Cincinnati, so now I have to decide between the CCLCM program (the learning style of which seems like it'd be closer to what I'd like) and UCinn, where I've got the full ride. I can hear all of you playing tiny violins right now.

I recall that there were plans to actually reduce the CCLCM tuition in upcoming years (way to buck the trends!) - CCLCMer, have you heard anything new on this? I really like the CCLCM program (except for the wearing of ties.. can't have everything), but I also really like not being in debt. Stupid conflicting desires.

I found out a couple of days ago that I got in off the hold list. Needless to say I'm stoked! I'm still deciding though. It's between Case, CCLCM, and my state school right now.

I just got accepted to the MSTP program at Univ. of Cincinnati, so now I have to decide between the CCLCM program (the learning style of which seems like it'd be closer to what I'd like) and UCinn, where I've got the full ride. I can hear all of you playing tiny violins right now.
I recall that there were plans to actually reduce the CCLCM tuition in upcoming years (way to buck the trends!) - CCLCMer, have you heard anything new on this? I really like the CCLCM program (except for the wearing of ties.. can't have everything), but I also really like not being in debt. Stupid conflicting desires.

I would really wait until you get your fin aid from CCLCM. A LOT of people in that class are getting a LOT of aid, including full rides, so I wouldn't even think about this until you know what you're getting. That said, if y'all have already gotten your aid packages, forget what I'm saying. I'm not a CCLCM student, but a University Program student, so just talking about the folks I know at CCLCM.

I found out a couple of days ago that I got in off the hold list. Needless to say I'm stoked! I'm still deciding though. It's between Case, CCLCM, and my state school right now.

Wow, I had no idea that the list had started to move. Did you write an LOI or send any supplementary information. Thank in advance:D

Nope. no LOI or supplementary stuff. I had sort of written off any chance that I would get in... this was quite a suprise!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. no LOI or supplementary stuff. I had sort of written off any chance that I would get in... this was quite a suprise!

Wow, congratulations!! Are u attending for sure?:D

I would really wait until you get your fin aid from CCLCM. A LOT of people in that class are getting a LOT of aid, including full rides, so I wouldn't even think about this until you know what you're getting. That said, if y'all have already gotten your aid packages, forget what I'm saying. I'm not a CCLCM student, but a University Program student, so just talking about the folks I know at CCLCM.

Oh yes. I'm definitely going to see what they'll offer. Hmm.. that sounds kinda mercenary, and I don't really mean it to - finances are only one part of the final decision criteria. It's just that they're the easiest to quantify (mmm... engineers like quantifying...)

I've also made my plane reservations for the second look weekend. I'm not flying out 'till Sunday noon, so I'll have all day Saturday to explore the area as well.

Ok, so I'm actually just bumping the CCLCM thread.. :)

-------------------------

Congrats, pixel. I know you really wanted that, though I still hold a tiny hope you'll come here. :) Re: financial aid, check your PM box.

Congrats! Are you going to come to the second look?

Last year we got our financial aid at the second look weekend, so I don't think anyone has their packages yet for next year.

Yep. I'll be there for CCLCM and Case Second Look. I haven't decided where to go yet. It's between CCLCM, Case and my state school. I'm hoping second look will clear everything up for me.

Hi guys. Does anyone know how long Cleveland Clinic and Case are currently taking to make decisions post-interview?

Thanks!

Yep. I'll be there for CCLCM and Case Second Look. I haven't decided where to go yet. It's between CCLCM, Case and my state school. I'm hoping second look will clear everything up for me.
I know it's hard to do, but try not to stress about deciding too much. You've got all good choices. But definitely wait to decide until you get your financial aid packages. :)

Hi guys. Does anyone know how long Cleveland Clinic and Case are currently taking to make decisions post-interview?

Thanks!
I hear different things depending on who I ask. I know for sure that the adcomm meets every two weeks. What did they tell you at your interview about when you'd hear? And how was your interview by the way?

Does everybody get there financial aid package during second look? Or can you get it any earlier? Also... just wondering... how many dean Scholarships are given out?

From what I have been hearing, it sounds like Cleveland Clinic has great aid packages. I'm excited to see what they have to offer.

Thanks.

_MDPhD_doc

Does everybody get there financial aid package during second look? Or can you get it any earlier? Also... just wondering... how many dean Scholarships are given out?

From what I have been hearing, it sounds like Cleveland Clinic has great aid packages. I'm excited to see what they have to offer.

Thanks.

_MDPhD_doc
As far as I know, everyone gets their financial aid packages during second look if they've been accepted by then. I don't know how it works for people who get accepted after March. As for the Dean's Scholarships, I've written all I know here. Anecdotally, I have to say that yes, the financial aid packages here are excellent. :)

Does CCLCM have a dress code? I would think that the students have to dress a bit more professional since they are at the hospital all the time. It seemed that way during the interview... Just wondering if I will need to set aside a nice chunk of money to revamp my wardrobe.

Does CCLCM have a dress code? I would think that the students have to dress a bit more professional since they are at the hospital all the time. It seemed that way during the interview... Just wondering if I will need to set aside a nice chunk of money to revamp my wardrobe.

Yes, "technically" CCLCM does have a dress code. It's not like they're going to kick you out if you wear shorts to class... I mean, I wear jeans to class all the time, and they don't say anything... but we do see patients at the clinic all the time, and as such, we are expected to display a professional appearance...

I mean, if you were a patient and you were at the Number #1 Heart Center in the World for cardiac surgery, would you want a medical student in jeans rounding with the attending physician examining you? Definitely not.

At CCF, there's sort a non-strict policy of professionalism....

Honestly, it's not a bad thing to increase your wardrobe... as I have recently learned from my girlfriend... besides, when you get into your 3rd and 4th years, you have to have professional attire anyway... might as well start early, right? =)

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted.

[Hi Fifi!]

yeah, soo.,....i got in, but I also got a full ride to Mayo medical school...I wanna go to cleveland clinic medical school...but...does anyone know when they offer their merit scholarships...damn this is tough

yeah, soo.,....i got in, but I also got a full ride to Mayo medical school...I wanna go to cleveland clinic medical school...but...does anyone know when they offer their merit scholarships...damn this is tough

Congrats wbrinj! That is a tought choice... I guess you should wait and see what they have to offer at 2nd look. Are you planning on going to 2nd look?

Congratulations on the full ride to Mayo. Is this just for tuition, or does this include other expenses as well?

The reason why I ask this is because Cleveland Clinic is known to offer full tuition, books, living expenses - room/board, etc, IN ADDITION to a stipend for some students in our class... so not only are you saving money, essentially, you're making money.

Typically, Director Myers will be able to distribute financial aid packages during Second Look weekend, so you should have a good idea by then.

I think either way, Mayo or Cleveland Clinic, you've done a GREAT job... you can't go wrong with either decision.

Congratulations on the full ride to Mayo. Is this just for tuition, or does this include other expenses as well?

The reason why I ask this is because Cleveland Clinic is known to offer full tuition, books, living expenses - room/board, etc, IN ADDITION to a stipend for some students in our class... so not only are you saving money, essentially, you're making money.

Typically, Director Myers will be able to distribute financial aid packages during Second Look weekend, so you should have a good idea by then.

I think either way, Mayo or Cleveland Clinic, you've done a GREAT job... you can't go wrong with either decision.

Are there seriously students receiving a stipend? And if so, how many... this must be similar to the Physician investigator training grants that the NIH allocates to MDPhD students.

Are there seriously students receiving a stipend? And if so, how many... this must be similar to the Physician investigator training grants that the NIH allocates to MDPhD students.

The basic idea is that CCLCM knows that they're competing for students with the MSTP programs, thus they're going to try to offer similiar benefits packages.

The dress code is basically business casual for first and second year. But like Doko said, some people do bend the rules a little and wear jeans. I've noticed people get more lax especially on Thursdays, which are not a normal class day for us. I don't think wearing shorts would fly though. I haven't ever seen anyone wear shorts to the Clinic. But maybe they do and I just haven't noticed. I guess I don't really pay that much attention to what other people are wearing. I'm just happy if I leave the house in the morning and I've got on a matching pair of socks. :laugh:

Congrats! You are in a very enviable position. I hope you will come to the second look and talk to the financial aid office here before you make your decision.

Yes, there definitely ARE students who receive stipends as well as tuition here. If you go to the CCLCM website and look at the financial aid section, there is a little blurb about the Dean's Scholarships. Some of those include some or all of the living expenses as well as full tuition for the five years. We don't know how many people have them though, and they may not even give out the same number of them from year to year.

Yeah, I'll be at Second Look, hope to see y'all there!

What is the dress code for 2nd look visit?

What is the dress code for 2nd look visit?

It should be business attire, which is what it was for the past 3 years. I know it sucks, but let's put it this way... you're going to be seeing patients as first years all the time, so you gotta get used to dressing professionally at the clinic. it's one of the good things believe it or not... our early patient exposure is seriously second to none! (takes a toll on your wallet though).

see you guys at the mansion on thursday!!

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it is just me... but I haven't received much information about the 2nd look weekend, only the initial invitation letter. Where is the Cleveland Clinic Foundation House (in relation to the Lerner Research Institute)?

CCLCMer, I really enjoyed reading some of your blog : )

It should be business attire, which is what it was for the past 3 years. I know it sucks, but let's put it this way... you're going to be seeing patients as first years all the time, so you gotta get used to dressing professionally at the clinic. it's one of the good things believe it or not... our early patient exposure is seriously second to none! (takes a toll on your wallet though).

see you guys at the mansion on thursday!!

Sounds good to me... we will all be professionals someday, we had might as well dress and act like it. Look forward to it. See you Thursday.

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm happy to be joining you guys at second look. Everyone I met during my interview day was incredible, and if that was any indication, this could potentially be a really great five years. I do have a couple of questions about second look...

Is dinner at the mansion going to be formal wear, or business casual (suit jacket or collared shirt + slacks)?

Also, I sent my research interests back in to Michael Brown, and I haven't heard back regarding a date or time that I may be scheduled to meet with a potential mentor. Does this mean I won't be meeting with anyone outside of the scheduled time?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these question. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

This may be a stupid question, but I'm just trying to make sure i don't end up at the wrong place. For the 2nd visit tomorrow, our confirmation says:

"The program will begin with a panel discussion with students at 3:00 p.m., a reception at 5:00 p.m. at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation House followed by a presentation and dinner. Business attire is appropriate."

Does that mean that at 3 we meet at the Foundataion House?

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it is just me... but I haven't received much information about the 2nd look weekend, only the initial invitation letter. Where is the Cleveland Clinic Foundation House (in relation to the Lerner Research Institute)?

CCLCMer, I really enjoyed reading some of your blog : )
They should give you directions, but it's pretty close. Well, other people might disagree with me, but I'd call it within walking distance. :laugh:

I'll try to post a map of the CCF campus here for you. The Foundation House is right at the edge of the CCF campus at Euclid and 88th Street. It's pretty close to the Intercontinental Suites Hotel. (Look at the top left corner of the map. You won't be able to see the Foundation House because it's just off the map, but go to the Intercontinental Suites Hotel, and it's right across 88th Street.) The Lerner Institute is at 100th and Carnegie. I'd say it's about a 10 minute walk. (Look at the bottom middle of the map. It's right across from the Intercontinental Hotel, which I believe is where you will be staying.)

campusmap.jpg

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm happy to be joining you guys at second look. Everyone I met during my interview day was incredible, and if that was any indication, this could potentially be a really great five years. I do have a couple of questions about second look...

Is dinner at the mansion going to be formal wear, or business casual (suit jacket or collared shirt + slacks)?

Also, I sent my research interests back in to Michael Brown, and I haven't heard back regarding a date or time that I may be scheduled to meet with a potential mentor. Does this mean I won't be meeting with anyone outside of the scheduled time?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these question. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
I don't know about Doko, but I didn't wear a suit last year. My suit was officially retired after I finished with interviews. ;) But you should definitely dress professionally to go to the Foundation House. If you're a guy, you should wear a shirt and tie. I don't think you need a jacket, unless they told you to wear one. It's still cold enough here that you'll want to bring some kind of jacket though. The good news is that it looks like the weather will be nice this weekend for you guys. Last year when we were here for Second Look, it snowed on us.

As far as setting up someone to meet with, you might want to contact Melissa Eyer instead and ask for her help. You might also try contacting the person you want to meet on your own and make the arrangements yourself. I did that last year, and it worked out well. That prof was my summer research preceptor last summer.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm just trying to make sure i don't end up at the wrong place. For the 2nd visit tomorrow, our confirmation says:

"The program will begin with a panel discussion with students at 3:00 p.m., a reception at 5:00 p.m. at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation House followed by a presentation and dinner. Business attire is appropriate."

Does that mean that at 3 we meet at the Foundataion House?
I seem to remember last year that when we got to the hotel, we had packets waiting for us that gave us all of our instructions. I think that everything was at the Foundation House. But if you're worried, you might want to call the admissions office and double check.

New CCLCM people,

I am 2nd year looking for a room mate for the next academic year.
The rent is $315/month + approx. $50 utilities, lease starting on July 1st.

The apartment is very spacious, has LOTS OF NATURAL LIGHT, fully renovated with everything brand new, FREE GARAGE PARKING, Shaker Heights is a pretty nice area with buncha parks and hiking trails if you are into that kinda stuff. <5 min. from Cleveland Clinic and Case campus, <2 minutes from Shaker Square.

Me:
I am easy-going and like to keep things pretty clean. PM me for pictures.
Oh yes...i am male.

there is also a first year here named "Junior" who is looking for a roommate to live next year as well. PM and i can give you his contact info.

Now that the deadline is here, if you have decided to go to CCLCM and are on facebook, join the CCLM 2012 group. (CCLM not CCLCM, I guess the creator made a typo.) Get to know your future classmates. There aren't that many of us!

Sandy and I are visiting Cleveland next week (5/28 - 6/2) to find a place to live. Anyone else going to be in town then?

Sandy and I found a nice house to rent.

We've a bunch of housing info left over from this trip. If anyone is still looking for a place to live, I might have something useful.

In particular, there's a single house near Bainbridge and Taylor that belongs to a resident just finishing up at the Clinic. It's in a decent neighborhood, and is in really good shape.

We got a lot of good info from Bobbi McClintock in the Cleveland Heights rental relocation office (http://www.clevelandheights.com/relocation_rentals.asp), and ended up renting one of the houses she showed to us.

- Tom