Cleveland State-NEOMED Post Bacc/MD 2014 General Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KarmaII

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just received an e-mail from Cleveland State inviting me to interview for the Post-bacc/MD program and I just wanted to see if anyone else was on SDN!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Received my interview email yesterday, and I confirmed today. Do you know what percentage of interviewed applicants are accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This very interesting, are there other programs like this? How competitive is this?

This very interesting, are there other programs like this? How competitive is this?
I'm geographically limited to northeast Ohio, so I haven't looked at what else is out there. The program's mission is to increase the number of urban primary care physicians in the area. It's a conditional guarantee of admission to NEOMED if you maintain a certain math/science and cumulative GPA (3.3ish - I'd have to check) and get a certain MCAT score (around 24). For more info: http://www.csuohio.edu/sciences/preprof/premed/neomed.html

I'm geographically limited to northeast Ohio, so I haven't looked at what else is out there. The program's mission is to increase the number of urban primary care physicians in the area. It's a conditional guarantee of admission to NEOMED if you maintain a certain math/science and cumulative GPA (3.3ish - I'd have to check) and get a certain MCAT score (around 24). For more info: http://www.csuohio.edu/sciences/preprof/premed/neomed.html

so upon reading further i am having some issues with the application timeline of this program.

http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/medicine/csu/post-bacc

is it really a 2 year process to get in?

i was absolutely in love with this program until i read this :/

October—NEOMED application available
January 15—NEOMED application due
Winter—Interviews
July—Acceptance into the Post Bacc/M.D. program notification scheduled
April of second year—Prior to matriculation at NEOMED, must have taken the MCAT
Spring of second year—full promotion to NEOMED notification scheduled

so upon reading further i am having some issues with the application timeline of this program.

http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/medicine/csu/post-bacc

is it really a 2 year process to get in?

i was absolutely in love with this program until i read this :/
I applied in January of this year. If I am accepted, I would start the MD program at NEOMED in fall 2016. They give the two years to complete the science prereqs and the required (undergraduate) urban health courses, and take the MCAT. I am far enough along in my prereqs where I probably would be done with everything in time to start in fall 2015, but for me the program is worth the wait.

Last edited:
I applied in January of this year. If I am accepted, I would start the MD program at NEOMED in fall 2016. They give the two years to complete the science prereqs and the required (undergraduate) urban health courses, and take the MCAT. I am far enough along in my prereqs where I probably would be done with everything in time to start in fall 2015, but for me the program is worth the wait.
Wait would you start MD school in 2016 or the first of a 2 year post bacc at cleveland in 2016?

Hell all,

Just received an e-mail from Cleveland State inviting me to interview for the Post-bacc/MD program and I just wanted to see if anyone else was on SDN!!

Hello there! I also received notification last week, so looking forward to meeting everyone in a few short weeks. Where is everyone from? I'm originally from Cleveland, went to CSU for undergrad, and now completing a MPH at George Washington University in DC.

Received my interview email yesterday, and I confirmed today. Do you know what percentage of interviewed applicants are accepted?

Based on statistics from last year, I believe about 150 applied, 75 were interviewed, and then 35 students were selected for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there! I also received notification last week, so looking forward to meeting everyone in a few short weeks. Where is everyone from? I'm originally from Cleveland, went to CSU for undergrad, and now completing a MPH at George Washington University in DC.
Congratulations!

I also received an interview invite. I'm super excited and nervous.

Congratulations! When are your interview dates? We may be in the same group!
My interview for csu is March 28. I'm not sure of my neomed interview date. Are you post bacc?

I am post bacc. Looking forward to meeting you on the 28th! Are you from Ohio or applying from out of state?

I am post bacc. Looking forward to meeting you on the 28th! Are you from Ohio or applying from out of state?
I'm looking forward to meeting you also :) I'm post bacc and I'm from Ohio. We should pm each other our info :)

I'm post-bacc from Ohio, and my CSU interview is also on March 28th. I haven't heard about the NEOMED interview date.

Congratulations to those selected for interviews! I'm hoping to get accepted to the program next year. Any insight you can offer would be great. Good luck in your interviews! :luck:

Damn, wish I knew about this before I was a year into my informal post-bacc. Sounds like a good program.

Looks like the interview at NEOMED is April 7th, choice of two times. Crossing fingers for the CSU interview Friday...

What did everyone think of the CSU campus interviews?

Hi Everyone!

I would love to apply to the post-bacc/MD program at CSU. Any advice to what they look for?
I know you need a pretty good GPA.

I currently have a 3.2 Science GPA. and a 3.6 cumulative GPA. I took my MCAT this past January and got a 21.
I know this isn't so competitive, but did anyone who got an interview have similar stats?

I would really appreciate any feedback

Looks like the interview at NEOMED is April 7th, choice of two times. Crossing fingers for the CSU interview Friday...
Hi Everyone!
I would love to apply to the post-bacc/MD program at CSU. Any advice to what they look for?

I currently have a 3.2 Science GPA. and a 3.6 cumulative GPA. I took my MCAT this past January and got a 21.
I know this isn't so competitive, but did anyone who got an interview have similar stats?

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!

They look at a lot of things besides GPA and test scores, so if you're interested in the program, go ahead and apply. You don't need the MCAT to apply, so I don't think a 21 will sink you. Some people I talked to at the interviews had all the prereqs and/or had taken the MCAT; most hadn't done either of the two. However, before beginning the MD portion of the program, you do have to take the MCAT and get a minimum 24 (8-8-8 or 9-8-7, depending on GPA).

Last edited:
What did everyone think of the CSU campus interviews?

I definitely felt the CSU interview portion was more challenging than the NEOMED day...perhaps just easier to discuss your background in a 1-on-1 environment versus a room with eight people. Do you have thoughts not the CSU process? I guess everyone is done at NEOMED now. How was your experience yesterday?

I definitely felt the CSU interview portion was more challenging than the NEOMED day...perhaps just easier to discuss your background in a 1-on-1 environment versus a room with eight people. Do you have thoughts not the CSU process? I guess everyone is done at NEOMED now. How was your experience yesterday?
I agree with your assessment of the CSU vs NEOMED interviews. I enjoyed my experience at NEOMED yesterday - informative, and a relaxed interview with a nice interviewer. The lunch with current med students was good - lots of practical info.

There were a lot of nice applicants - would be nice if we all could get in.

There were a lot of nice applicants - would be nice if we all could get in.

I agree! Everyone was very friendly and helped create a very welcoming and comfortable environment. Of course, that is what you would hope for in a a group of aspiring physicians. I have visited some other medical schools (for work, not as a potential applicant) and often found many of the atmospheres to be very competitive and unwelcoming. I really felt that NEOMED's environment was very different, at least from my perspective of being there for just one day! I spent time during undergrad at CSU and really loved my experience there- very supportive faculty, friendly students, and helpful staff.

I think the class that starts in the fall should be a really great group of students based on those I met at our two interview dates! Again, good luck to you! Hoping for the best for all of us...

Not yet for me. I was expecting the end of the month, so within the next week or two. Wonder if it will be formal through the mail or via e-mail similar to our interview invitation?

I believe they said we'd hear by the middle if May, but I think we'll hear by the end of April like they did last year. Just speculating, though.

Not yet for me. I was expecting the end of the month, so within the next week or two. Wonder if it will be formal through the mail or via e-mail similar to our interview invitation?
I think they said they'll call first, and send official notice by mail and maybe email.

I think they said they'll call first, and send official notice by mail and maybe email.
I really hope they call, itd be a nice personal touch, which fits the atmosphere of the program.

Last edited:

I had not heard the information about calling, but definitely a very interesting personal touch. We received notification about our interviews via e-mail, so was not quite sure whether to expect official notice of acceptance or declination from e-mail as well. Wonder if they would only call those who are accepted or call all candidates and let them know of their status? It seems like that could be quite time consuming.

I had not heard the information about calling, but definitely a very interesting personal touch. We received notification about our interviews via e-mail, so was not quite sure whether to expect official notice of acceptance or declination from e-mail as well. Wonder if they would only call those who are accepted or call all candidates and let them know of their status? It seems like that could be quite time consuming.
My guess is they'll call the people that got in but only send emails/letters to everyone else.

Does anybody know how many out-of-state applicants they take? I know first preference goes to Ohio residents but I was just curious :)

I don't know that there is a set amount, but it seems like a majority of their students last year were from out of state (although most of them were originally from Ohio, but had moved away for college, grad school, or work). Since CSU and NEOMED are both public schools, preference is supposed to be given to applicants with ties to Ohio, but that does not mean that the whole cohort is Ohio-based. It seems much tougher to do direct-entry to NEOMED if you are not an Ohio resident, although that could just be due to the high volume of Ohio applicants they get for the direct entry MD pool.

Waiting and crossing fingers...

I'm trying not to think about it too much...I had a paper due yesterday with a presentation, and have 5 exams (4 are finals) and a quiz between now and next Thursday...ugh.