Cleveland State-NEOMED Post Bacc/MD 2014 General Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying not to think about it too much...I had a paper due yesterday with a presentation, and have 5 exams (4 are finals) and a quiz between now and next Thursday...ugh.

Are you currently in an informal post bacc program at CSU or another school? Good luck with wrapping up this semester. Hopefully we all hear soon so we can ease our anxiety!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently in an informal post bacc program at CSU or another school? Good luck with wrapping up this semester. Hopefully we all hear soon so we can ease our anxiety!
Yes, I'm currently doing an informal post bacc at another school. I'll have all the basic prereqs except ochem done after this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!

Also received my acceptance letter today too. Looks like no phone calls- just formal letters! When did you interview at NEOMED? Curious if we were in the same group! Congrats!

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't make it. Congrats to all of you who did!

Nothing in the mail today... Looks like at least an extra day for mailing to California....

Nothing in the mail today... Looks like at least an extra day for mailing to California....
I didn't receive anything in the mail but received the email saying that some students didn't get acceptance form that should have need come with acceptance letter, it's the form that where we have to sign and send back, so I got the acceptance form on my email, so excited , can't wait to start preparing for the mcat and get over with

Reactions: 3 users
A little late joining this thread but I got accepted as well! Same as pastsweetgirl; got an email with the acceptance form!

Can't wait for August now!

I didn't receive anything in the mail but received the email saying that some students didn't get acceptance form that should have need come with acceptance letter, it's the form that where we have to sign and send back, so I got the acceptance form on my email, so excited , can't wait to start preparing for the mcat and get over with
I guess thats a bad sign

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not receive anything today...I am starting to get worried. I have sent a thank you email after the interview, a letter of intent and also called a few times. I am from OOS and am wondering if anyone else from OOS also has not heard anything yet?

I think letters to out of state students would take an extra day or two, depending where you are at, as it seems Ohio applicants received their letters yesterday.

I was there on Thursday.

I was there as well on Thursday. We likely met each other then! Hopefully we will get a list of all the students in the program within the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't make it. Congrats to all of you who did!

It sounds like given that you have already completed so many of the pre-med requirements, hopefully you consider applying direct entry. I had not completed any pre-med courses, so a post-bacc was the only option for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in Ohio but haven't received either a letter nor an email. Maybe it will come today!

It sounds like given that you have already completed so many of the pre-med requirements, hopefully you consider applying direct entry. I had not completed any pre-med courses, so a post-bacc was the only option for me.
Yes, I'm definitely considering applying direct entry, possibly taking ochem 1 and the MCAT over the summer and applying this summer for entry in 2015. If successful, I would actually start a year earlier than I would have in the CSU/NEOMED urban health program. Of course, direct entry is probably pretty competitive, so we'll see. After this semester, I should still have my 4.0 GPA in recent science prereqs, and 3.6+ overall undergrad, so I should have a shot if I rock the MCAT. One issue is that because of family, I can't apply to 20 schools; I'm pretty much limited to Case Western Reserve and NEOMED...

Congrats to all that have been accepted! :) Because I'm OOS, I still haven't heard anything. But I'm just curious, did everybody who got an acceptance so far also receive that email?

Congrats to all that have been accepted! :) Because I'm OOS, I still haven't heard anything. But I'm just curious, did everybody who got an acceptance so far also receive that email?
I would also like to know this

Yes, I'm definitely considering applying direct entry, possibly taking ochem 1 and the MCAT over the summer and applying this summer for entry in 2015. If successful, I would actually start a year earlier than I would have in the CSU/NEOMED urban health program. Of course, direct entry is probably pretty competitive, so we'll see. After this semester, I should still have my 4.0 GPA in recent science prereqs, and 3.6+ overall undergrad, so I should have a shot if I rock the MCAT. One issue is that because of family, I can't apply to 20 schools; I'm pretty much limited to Case Western Reserve and NEOMED...

Sounds like a great plan. As you indicated, because you already have nearly all the courses done, it seems like you would make a great direct entry candidate (esp. with that GPA), whereas you would have spent a lot of time having to take electives with the 2-year required post-bacc. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get in Direct at NEOMED for the next app cycle!

I think so, at least for me and others I have talked to. The email was not really an acceptance letter (like we received for our interviews), but rather just an acceptance form that needed to be signed and returned within the next week or so. The item that arrived in the mail was the actual formal acceptance letter.

Just discovered this thread... accepted postbacc/MD!! Congrats everyone, looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

Got my official acceptance letter today!

I think so. The email was about them forgetting to put the "offer of acceptance" that needed to be signed and returned. That's all that was.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a great plan. As you indicated, because you already have nearly all the courses done, it seems like you would make a great direct entry candidate (esp. with that GPA), whereas you would have spent a lot of time having to take electives with the 2-year required post-bacc. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get in Direct at NEOMED for the next app cycle!
Thank you so much for your encouragement! I have to admit I am disappointed, but maybe things will work out for the better. Taking the electives was a bit of a downside to CSU/NEOMED when I am so close to finishing prereqs. I am a nontraditional student, so the idea of starting a year sooner is also quite appealing. As for Case, I'm an alum, so we'll see if that helps (not necessarily). Another possibility is LECOM, a DO school in Erie, PA. It's a 2 hr drive, but they have a directed self study option where you may only have to be on campus 1-2 days a week. They also have a 3 year primary care track where you only pay 3 years of tuition if you agree to do a family practice or general internal medicine residency and practice for 5 years in primary care.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your encouragement! I have to admit I am disappointed, but maybe thinks will work out for the better. Taking the electives was a bit of a downside to the CSU/NEOMED when I am so close to finishing prereqs. I am a nontraditional student, so the idea of starting a year sooner is also quite appealing. As for Case, I'm an alum, so we'll see if that helps (not necessarily). Another possibility is LECOM, a DO school in Erie, PA. It's a 2 hr drive, but they have a directed self study option where you may only have to be on campus 1-2 days a week. They also have a 3 year primary care track where you only pay 3 years of tuition if you agree to do a family practice or general internal medicine residency and practice for 5 years in primary care.

That really sounds terrific. I did my premedical work at CWRU many years ago, so I agree that hopefully your alumni status there would help, although Case Med felt quite different to me than NEOMED. I am just more drawn to the mission of public schools and the environment of NEOMED on primary care, versus the more research angle of CWRU. But clearly both would be great options for you, as well as LECOM in Pennsylvania. Really hope it all works out for you. Don't give up!

Accepted as well but will not be attending the program. Pleasure meeting everyone on interview day couple weeks back. It's aldwin by the way. For all those who remember me add me on IG: Bronxfuturedoc2. Good luck with the program and I wish you all the best

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I have to admit I am disappointed, but maybe things will work out for the better. Taking the electives was a bit of a downside to the CSU/NEOMED when I am so close to finishing prereqs. I am a nontraditional student, so the idea of starting a year sooner is also quite appealing. As for Case, I'm an alum, so we'll see if that helps (not necessarily). Another possibility is LECOM, a DO school in Erie, PA. It's a 2 hr drive, but they have a directed self study option where you may only have to be on campus 1-2 days a week. They also have a 3 year primary care track where you only pay 3 years of tuition if you agree to do a family practice or general internal medicine residency and practice for 5 years in primary care.
I was wondering, since there are couple people rejected the acceptance, why don't they offer that spot to someone who Still want to get in and got rejected

In the past, there was a waiting list, so I would imagine that applicants on that list will be contacted if admitted students decline the offer. Otherwise, I think the "extra" seats may also be extended to direct entry candidates at NEOMED later on.

Accepted as well but will not be attending the program. Pleasure meeting everyone on interview day couple weeks back. It's aldwin by the way. For all those who remember me add me on IG: Bronxfuturedoc2. Good luck with the program and I wish you all the best
Good luck to you as well!

Out of state acceptance!!! All of my hard work and determination paid off. I got a letter yesterday in the mail! I can't wait to see everyone in August!

Reactions: 4 users
I am currently on the wait list but not sure how many spots open up for wait list people. According to this thread, only one spot had opened up so far so not sure what the chances are for wait list people. Did anyone else get waitlisted?

Just discovered this thread but I have also been accepted! Postbacc/MD....

Can not wait to meet you all!!! Does anyone know of any pages maybe on Facebook we can join? Congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I received my acceptance letter for Post bacc/MD!! I can not wait until August.

What is the age range of the students who are entering into this program? Are any of you that were accepted that are coming straight from undergrad?

I am currently on the wait list but not sure how many spots open up for wait list people. According to this thread, only one spot had opened up so far so not sure what the chances are for wait list people. Did anyone else get waitlisted?

I got wait listed as well. I wondered if anyone on the wait list has gotten offered acceptance yet or if people haven't declined their acceptances yet. I was also wondering, when do you all who got accepted have to confirm by?

Im a single mom. Any other single mothers get into the program?

What is the age range of the students who are entering into this program? Are any of you that were accepted that are coming straight from undergrad?

I'm not straight out of undergrad but I graduated a year ago. I'm going to say the age range will probably be from early twenties to late thirties? That's just a guess, though.

Also, anybody thought of places to live? I'm probably going to be living in Streetsboro.

I'm not straight out of undergrad but I graduated a year ago. I'm going to say the age range will probably be from early twenties to late thirties? That's just a guess, though.

Also, anybody thought of places to live? I'm probably going to be living in Streetsboro.
I met a candidate at the interview that was 61 years old and a lawyer. I do not know if they got in but I'm just saying

I'm also doing the program! I'm 24 and probably going to live in downtown Cleveland, close-ish to CSU. Does anybody know if there's a facebook group or anything we can join to get a jump start on (sort of) meeting each other?

I met a candidate at the interview that was 61 years old and a lawyer. I do not know if they got in but I'm just saying

Oh I was just guessing based on whom I met during the interview process! That was in no way meant to be a stat.

I'm also doing the program! I'm 24 and probably going to live in downtown Cleveland, close-ish to CSU. Does anybody know if there's a facebook group or anything we can join to get a jump start on (sort of) meeting each other?

Last year, one of the accepted students just started a private Facebook group and then other students in the group joined to create an online community prior to classes beginning. No one has started one for this year's group, but may be something you want to take the lead on? It would be great to learn about everyone else starting in our fall cohort!

Last year's group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CSUNEOMED2019/

Streestboro would especially be a good choice for the 4 years at NEOMED, given that it is closer to that campus. It's tough to find an ideal place given that we will be splitting our time between Cleveland and Rootstown (although not until years 3-6).

If you are not from Cleveland and looking for neighborhoods, I would recommend checking out Cleveland Heights (Cedar-Fairmount, Cedar-Lee, and Coventry), because it has a large availability of rather inexpensive apartments, caters to a student population (primarily Case Western students), and is a close commute to downtown. On the near west side of Cleveland, there's also the Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, and Tremont neighborhoods, which are close to downtown. Downtown is also a good option, but it can be expensive depending on where you look. There's a lot of growth downtown, but likely will be your most expensive option if you are worried about money while in school.

Is anyone planning on working while in the program or just being a full-time student?

Streestboro would especially be a good choice for the 4 years at NEOMED, given that it is closer to that campus. It's tough to find an ideal place given that we will be splitting our time between Cleveland and Rootstown (although not until years 3-6).

If you are not from Cleveland and looking for neighborhoods, I would recommend checking out Cleveland Heights (Cedar-Fairmount, Cedar-Lee, and Coventry), because it has a large availability of rather inexpensive apartments, caters to a student population (primarily Case Western students), and is a close commute to downtown. On the near west side of Cleveland, there's also the Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, and Tremont neighborhoods, which are close to downtown. Downtown is also a good option, but it can be expensive depending on where you look. There's a lot of growth downtown, but likely will be your most expensive option if you are worried about money while in school.

Is anyone planning on working while in the program or just being a full-time student?

It really is tough. I was looking at places like Twinsburgh, Hudson, and Aurora because I wanted to be in between Cleveland and Rootstown. That way I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of moving twice and just stay in one place for the next 6 years. Unfortunately, there wasn't much available. It looks like I'll be finalizing the deal I got in Streetsboro tomorrow, though. I fortunately found a place near the highway and the people in the area that at max, the drive will be 40 minutes to CSU. That's a drive I'm sort of used to anyway haha.

As for work, I was planning on being a full-time student only. During the interviews, I remember several people telling us that working during our time there was not recommended. That's because the classes we're going to be taking will require a LOT of dedication. So I wasn't planning on working.