Cliche New Guy Looking For help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueWolverine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right spot to post something like this....

New to the forum (loving it so far) and here for some help. I've been reading for hours now (enough to get discouraged, then encouraged, then discouraged, and on and on) and decided it was finally time for me to look for some help of my own. I know there's 10000 threads asking about chances but everyone's situation is different and I'm a first generation pre-med student and could really use some help.

Not sure how to start so here goes....

Academics:
Currently a senior studying Biology at Utah Valley University (UVU) planning on applying Spring 2016
cGPA- 3.13 sGPA- 3.4 (a couple retakes)
MCAT- To be determined August of this year
Graduated high school with associates degree

EC's:
Patient Care- 200+ (I work as a Physical Therapy Aide)
Research- 2 semesters (40-50 Hours)
Leadership- Program Director over blood drives on UVU Service Council
-Student Coordinator on Service Council (Over a group of Program Directors)
-Organizing Hunger Banquet this semester (raising poverty awareness)
Shadowing- Currently 20 hours (Pediatrics and Surgery) with connections to continue to shadowing until I apply
Volunteer- 40 hours at a few different places (both on campus and off), going to focus on lots of volunteering this summer
-4-H Mentor (Mentoring a kid once a week for at least a year who doesn't have a great situation at home, this one could be used as volunteer or leadership) Just starting this program so I don't have definite hours
-2 year mission for LDS Church (volunteer, paid my whole way)
-Eagle Scout

Certified as EMT-B and CNA in high school (not current anymore so I'm not sure if they even care about something like that)
LoR's- One from DO, one from MD, working on an academic one

Well that's what I can think of right now so if I remember anything else I'll post it. Game plan for now is to keep boosting EC's and GPA until I apply and graduate (both Spring 2016). Like I said I'm taking the MCAT in August this year so if needs be I'll have another shot before I apply. Planning on applying as early as I can.

I'm really wondering about my chances and I'm open for any tips and suggestions you guys have! One of my big questions is how to start narrowing schools down. My wife's sister and brother-in-law live in North Carolina where he works as a CRNA so CUSOM is our number 1 choice but other than that I really have no other way to tell which schools I want to apply to or which ones I have a shot at. Man this was a lot of info....hopefully I didn't bore anyone so much they don't respond...thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really wondering about my chances and I'm open for any tips and suggestions you guys have! One of my big questions is how to start narrowing schools down. My wife's sister and brother-in-law live in North Carolina where he works as a CRNA so CUSOM is our number 1 choice but other than that I really have no other way to tell which schools I want to apply to or which ones I have a shot at.

Well, your chances depend on your MCAT score which you don't have, and your MCAT score will dictate your choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.