Clinic block at your residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dinodoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently at a large academic IM program in the midwest. We are always trying to improve the ambulatory experience, and I would love to see what other programs are doing and share. For example:

We are currently modeling a 6+2 block system.

Ambulatory weeks - ~8-12 weeks/academic year
Ambulatory block - 5 half days continuity clinic, 2 half day subspecialty clinics and rest are educational
Electives - 1 half day continuity clinic/wk
No inpatient or ICU clinic unless away >4 wks per ACGME

I would love to hear any responses in the format above for simplicity sake.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I sooooo wish we would do this in FM! It's hard to be on inpatient medicine and have clinic half-days in the afternoon or God forbid the occasional am when admin doesn't pay attention to the schedule....
One of the IM programs I interviewed at assigned patients to groups of 4 docs rather than 1 doctor. The patient knew who his 4 doctors were and that he or she would see one of the 4 in clinic and they covered for each other. It made clinic better for the residents they said--seems like something I would like. What I don't like is that patients assigned to me (in FM) will see one of my colleagues today for a routine appt rather than being put on my clinic schedule tomorrow and I will get somebody else's routine appt because their schedule is full. That's not very good continuity IMO.