Clinical, Counseling, School vs. All other Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necodaak8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been investigating the field of psychology by trying to gain as much information as I can about the profession. I have an MS in biology and have been contemplating getting a Ph.D in Psych. I have read a lot of veteran people on here comment regarding salaries and how if you want to be rich, do not become a psychologist. Regardless, I would still like to know what my future would hold. As a result, there is a website that is very beneficial regarding choosing careers and finding jobs in California called, eastbayworks. One of the links on the site states that clinical, counseling, and school make from 25 to 44 per hour with a mean of 37 per hour. http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/occguide/psycholo.pdf

On the contrary, a list of top paying jobs one the website show psychologists, (all other) at an average mean salary of 59.40 per hour. http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.g...0000&soccode=193039&search=Explore+Occupation

My question for all of you are what are the "all other" psychologists that the website is referring to? There seems to be a wide range of differences within the field. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the research-only fields: developmental, experimental, social, personality, etc. Mostly academics or full-time researchers at institutes.

Appreciate the response but the site actually puts psychology researchers and academics as a separate category. I was thinking maybe neuropsychology would be one of the fields?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assessment-focused clinicians can do quite well (neuro and forensic in particular). Private practice can be hit and miss, as the hourly rate can be significantly different for people on insurance panels, and those who are cash only. It is obviously harder to book-out for the latter, but some can pick and choose.

There are also educational psychologists and industrial orgnizational psychologists. Not sure how their salaries go though.

There are also educational psychologists and industrial orgnizational psychologists. Not sure how their salaries go though.
as i understand it I/O does quite well! i actually wish i were more interested in that. what is educational psych?