Clinical Experience at a Hospice/ Care Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agoron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I'm sure there's another forum for this somewhere, but I just wanted to inquire if a volunteer endeavor I'm about to undertake would count as clinical experience?

I know my experience thus far shadowing and in the ER definitely counts as clinical experience. However, I'm about to start volunteering at a care facility for dementia patients, most of them with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. It's not exactly a hospice, but it's still a patient care facility, just not technically referred to as a hospice. I would be doing a multitude of activities, including patient care (things like taking weights, BPs, following the nurses around, transporting patients, feeding, etc.) but also some non-medical patient care (ex. reading to the patients, writing letters for them, supervising activities, etc.).

I'm really interested in this opportunity because a close family friend of mine passed away from an early onset of Alzheimer's and inspired me to want to volunteer in a dementia facility, so I'm really looking forward to it. I was just wondering if it might count as clinical experience!

Replies appreciated, and thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds clinical!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd think it would -- You will be able to smell the patients.

(And thank you for doing this.)

Reactions: 1 users