Clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catchmoresun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Shadowing. Volunteering at a hospital. Watching house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteering at a hospital/hospice/nursing home/VA, EMT, CNA, scribe...lots of things you can do.

Shadowing doesn't count in the same light as actual clinical work does.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a rising junior at a top 20 applying in next year's cycle. Biggest hole I feel like I have is lack of "clinical experience." How does one get sufficient clinical experience? I only have a year left, and so I need to figure out ways to make the most of it. I have enough shadowing hours, but I'm not sure if they count. Otherwise I think I'm a pretty good candidate - 3.89, 37 MCAT, lots of involvement on campus, research, presidencies, the whole nine yards. But how is everyone out there getting clinical experience? Volunteering at hospitals? EMT?
Both hospital volunteering and EMT work qualify, as would hospice volunteering, working with patients in some other capacity, etc. definitely start ASAP if you are planning to apply next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteering at a hospital/hospice/nursing home/VA, EMT, CNA, scribe...lots of things you can do.
And rehab centers, low-income clinics, family-planning clinic, in-patient Alzheimer's Unit, even private clinics or a surgicenter, if they are convenient to your location.
definitely start ASAP if you are planning to apply next cycle.
I agree. Try to get a gig where you can give your time about 3-4 hours per week.

(I did work in a clinic the summer before freshman year, not sure if that counts much though), but will only 1 year of clinical experience hurt my app?
Anything you did after HS graduation counts as "during the college years." With that, and what you can add over the next 10 months, you should be in good shape.