Clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnfz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had no problems with shelfs but it seems like I'm always getting screwed with my clinical evals despite only receiving good comments. When all is said and done, I will probably have half A's and half B's for this year. Is this something I should worry about, i.e. think about a back-up specialty?

Step 1: 250-255
Step 2: Taking next month
No Jr AOA, Sr AOA TBD
Research: Will be doing a research yr with a big wig, 1 abstract, 1 school poster presentation, 2nd author paper, 1 case report, all non-derm

Members don't see this ad.

I've had no problems with shelfs but it seems like I'm always getting screwed with my clinical evals despite only receiving good comments. When all is said and done, I will probably have half A's and half B's for this year. Is this something I should worry about, i.e. think about a back-up specialty?

Step 1: 250-255
Step 2: Taking next month
No Jr AOA, Sr AOA TBD
Research: Will be doing a research yr with a big wig, 1 abstract, 1 school poster presentation, 2nd author paper, 1 case report, all non-derm

I think you'll be fine especially with a research year with a "big wig" and a great Step 1 score. May depend slightly on the tier of your medical school. I'm not familiar with how ABCDF grading systems are perceived, but most people I've talked to have always said to aim for at least 1/2 honors (emphasis on derm, internal medicine, surgery, and peds rotations). Looks like you fit that bill...but...if you, for instance, got a B on both surgery and internal medicine, I might be a little more worried. Certain top programs really only end up taking applicants with *perfect* applications (i.e. high Step 1 and flawless clinical grades), so it may mean you'll get filtered out at a few places. But, in terms of just matching, I think it will get you past most filters.

In terms of back-up plan, I'd just apply to a few rigorous, well-known prelim years (medicine, surgery, peds...whatever floats your boat). Most of these end up pretty easy to stay on at if you want to. And, oddly enough, they usually aren't as competitive as say, some cush transitional year with 6 months of electives, because of the (likely) higher workload.