clinical hours/week as academic attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ememememem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I'm a pgy-IV considering some EM attending positions in academic settings.
If others are considering, have accepted, or are working such jobs, i was wondering what your clinical hours/week requirement is.

I've come across a pretty wide range: 24-40/wk.

Also, what are people being offered as staring salaries for academic jobs in the Northeast. I seem to keep coming across jobs in the ~170 range.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to compare the deal is
(salary + benefits)/(annual clinical hours)

Make sure you have the true # of clinical hours/year. If you are told it is a 24 hour work week and there are 8 weeks of vacation, that might mean that you have 24x44 OR 24x52 (in some places you get the time off for your vacation by working extra shifts the rest of the year).

Hospitals in NYC generally have heavier clinical loads as the revenue is needed to support higher salaries for the higher cost of living. In Manhattan 32-36h/week in an academic shop is not unusual. From someone who likes Manhattan but not that much, I'll let the die hard New Yorkers explain how one finds the time to do the clinical work, maintain a high level of academic productivity, and enjoy the city.

The last time I checked, academics in the NE should be around 160-210k for 24-32/week. You also need to determine if there is a bonus plan, if you can moonlight, and if you have flexibility with hours and salary to set it at the level that works for you.

hey all,

I'm a pgy-IV considering some EM attending positions in academic settings.
If others are considering, have accepted, or are working such jobs, i was wondering what your clinical hours/week requirement is.

I've come across a pretty wide range: 24-40/wk.

Also, what are people being offered as staring salaries for academic jobs in the Northeast. I seem to keep coming across jobs in the ~170 range.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

How's the job market for academic EM these days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the best way to find open academic jobs?

Probably word of mouth from very "academic" attendings at your institution. The journal ads, listings, etc, usually lag behind what's really going on. That's if you're feeling it out. If you have your heart set on a place, cold call them. One of the places friendly to me didn't have a listing.

mike

I'm in a pseudo-academic position (more of a mix of clinical and academic), however, will transition to academic once I am done with my oral boards and get some publications done.

I work ~ 119 hours a month.

Q

155,000/year is the paltry amount that they start new attendings at my institution.

that stinks.

later