Clinical/human translational research training -MD vs MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tab3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am beginning the application process for a 2016 medical school matriculation, and am trying to evaluate my options in the MD-PhD sphere as they pertain, not just to a traditional bench research, but to more clinical research as well. My background is a mix of basic and bench-centered translational research in immunology (ie. mouse models of disease, cell signaling, etc), and while I love the goal-oriented, hypothesis-driven mindset inherent in good medical research, I really doubt my interest in running a basic lab with minimal patient contact. I think that a more clinically-oriented research program would be of far greater interest to me, particularly one with a "bench-to-bedside" type approach or even outright clinical trial-based work.

The crux of the problem for me is that most MSTP programs as I understand them seek to train basic scientists, and that is not what I am looking to do. But separate and apart from this fact, I think that I would enjoy and benefit from an MSTP that allowed me to pursue the kind of research and get the kind of training that I am looking for. That said, I am also certain that I could find meaningful opportunities to get this training as an MD candidate, which makes me wonder whether the MD-PhD is simply the wrong path for me given my interests.

So my question is twofold:

1. Could current MD-PhD students or recent grads comment on the extent to which they (or colleagues) interface with the clinical realm as part of their research/grad studies? I realize that this is entirely lab/PI-dependent, but I am really just looking to collect a range of experiences.

2. What kinds of specialized programs or tracks within the MD-PhD exist for students interested in clinical or human translational research? I have seen a few references at certain schools (ie. Einstein, Vanderbilt) to dedicated tracks within the MSTP for "clinical investigation," but I've struggled to track down more detailed information about these programs or their equivalents at other schools.

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm not an MD-PhD student, but I have seen programs meeting that description.

I've seen several programs that offered the PhD in clinical and translational science, some with options in Epidemiology and the like. I think there are definitely options out there.

Now there are also what I like to call MD plus programs that have the MD plus built in resesrch component like CCLCM, that might be worth considering.

You can do the MD plus a masters in clinical research, there are residency and fellowship programs like my current institution that offer clinical research certificates or maters degrees.

I think it's just going to come down to how much time you want to spend and how extensive you want the tools in your toolbox to be.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm not an MD-PhD student, but I have seen programs meeting that description.

I've seen several programs that offered the PhD in clinical and translational science, some with options in Epidemiology and the like. I think there are definitely options out there.

Now there are also what I like to call MD plus programs that have the MD plus built in resesrch component like CCLCM, that might be worth considering.

You can do the MD plus a masters in clinical research, there are residency and fellowship programs like my current institution that offer clinical research certificates or maters degrees.

I think it's just going to come down to how much time you want to spend and how extensive you want the tools in your toolbox to be.

Interesting, I knew about the PhD options, but was not familiar with the residency/fellowships (except, say at the NIH where all clinical fellowships are like that for the most part).

Are you (or anyone else) familiar with specific "MD plus" programs that are well-known or well-liked in the community? I know that the CCLCM program is often mentioned because you apply to the program not just as an MD but as a future MD-researcher, but I was wondering if there are other programs like it. I realize that every research medical school now has something for people who want to build research skills, but not necessarily a well thought out program. Relevant to this, and in response to your last question, I am really looking for an extensive "toolbox" – I see myself doing research for much of my career, just not at the bench per se.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any good T32-sponsored research fellowship after residency will provide what you need. MSTP is really only for people who want to do their PhD in a laboratory-based research field, with a couple of exceptions that are still quite basic, eg computational neuroscience.