Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
question for those who have taken step one...

Is this book sufficient for Step 1, or should I invest in a more detailed text? The book is pretty silly but I absolutely love it and gets me through micro as a MS1.

thanx in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Using Clinical Micro... and First Aid is sufficient if you want to get the majority of the questions correct (85%). If you want to try and get them all, you're going to need to pull stuff out that you learned in your Micro course. That, or read through a Micro text, which would suck. But for the average step exam, FA and CMMRS are more than enough.

Just don't forget about immunology. You need to make sure you have a solid foundation in that subject for the boards. I've heard HY Immuno is good, but I haven't read it

I don't like this book. I used it, and I'm taking the big test on Monday but seriously, I wouldn't have used it if it weren't for my friend telling me that her sis used it and got 260 on the test... the drawings and the silly pneumonics are not for me. Use Lange.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked it, but got to agree with Stinger. First aid and MMRS would get you an 85% on micro. But I really believe that First Aid and any book would at the best get you 90%.

Now, First Aid, MMRS, and throw in all the questions you got wrong from Q-bank, and then you can get 95%, IMHO.

I liked the book and supplemented with the Lange review book during the course. I think micro itself (minus genomes and such) were a pretty solid subject for me.