Clinical Pharmacist Interview questions???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc1234567

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of questions one can expect at a (2.15 hours) clinical pharmacist interview???
Please everybody share your experiences

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure but I assume yes as it will be a 2.15hrs interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing behavioral questions since that is what I have been asked on every single pharmacist interview I have been on so far.

Disclaimer: I have not interviewed for any clinical pharmacist positions, however.

Yep, lots of questions about resolving conflicts. Also how you manage time and stress, and specific questions about your CV/resume.

IIRC, mostly behavioral/situational questions. Here are a few that I've been asked:
How do you see yourself fitting in such-a-such practice setting (especially if you trained in a different practice model)
What made you pick your specialty
How do you stay up to date on all the new data/drugs coming out
How do you prioritize your time at work
How do you stay motivated/how do you prevent burn-outs
How do you think the healthcare reform will impact your practice
Specific questions about my CV

Believe it or not, I've never been asked questions on conflict resolution (probably out of sheer luck). No clinical questions, either; I suppose by interview time, it's assumed that you command the basic knowledge; especially if you just finished an accredited PGY2 and/or have x number of experience.

I know that there's a popular set of questions that the academia folks like to ask. Someone compiled a whole listful of them and it's circulating somewhere online...

Everyone thanks for replying.
Protogenic can you please help me find the compiled questions.I will really appreciate it.
The interview will last 2.15 hours I think they will have enough time to grill me.

All4mydaughter any ideas about what they might ask?

Protogenic can you please help me find the compiled questions.I will really appreciate it.
Maybe they want to walk you around and show you what's the best item on the cafeteria's lunch menu? Don't take it too too seriously. It's an interview, not the boards. ;) And who's to say what the right answers will be???

Mmm well, since I have 0 interest in academia, I've never looked for them; I only knew about them from friends who were interviewing for faculty positions.

Most faculty interviews are somewhere between 1.5 to 2 days long, so with only 2.25 hours to spare, I have a feeling that academia-specific questions may not necessarily pertain to you.

Here are some general questions which may be of interest to you, though (focus on situational/behavioral questions, ignore the technicalities from the first link):

The internet offers a plethora of sample questions, just Google them :)

Also, remember to breathe! This interview is as much about them interviewing you, as you interviewing them! Good luck!

Hey protogenic thanks!!!!!
What makes me nervous is its been sometime that I worked as a clinical pharmacist.
I cannot brush up my knowledge in few days.Hopefully, I can survive the grilling and dont make a fool of myself in front of them.If I land an offer and if I accept the offer. I will make sure that I do brush up my knowledge before starting with them.

Maybe they want to walk you around and show you what's the best item on the cafeteria's lunch menu? Don't take it too too seriously. It's an interview, not the boards. ;) And who's to say what the right answers will be???

Hey thanks PharmD student.:)

My itinerary looks like this

25 mins Management PharmacyServices: Pharmacy Administration
Pharmacy Conference Room
I will be meeting pharmacy co-ordinator and manager (2 different ppl)

25mins PharmacyConference Room
will be meeting two clinical pharmacists.

25 mins
Will be meeting 2 senior technicians

20 mins
Will be meeting the director of pharmacy

15mins wrap up and tour

Does the itinerary give you guys an idea about what the director,manager and clinical pharmacists can ask? Will they ask technical questions or situational questions more?

The interview for my current postition Staff/Clinical was a total of about 15 min( It was about 3 months after pharmacy school). The director asked about my academic background, intern jobs. Then asked me what hobbies I had outside of pharmacy. I told him I was a homebrewer and enjoyed brewing beer. His reply was thats the kind of answer I wanted a real honest answer. Ive been here at this same hospital for over 3.5 years!