Clinical Pharmacy Refresher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npatel1050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Graduated in 2014 and I've been doing retail/non-clinical work ever since I left school.
I forgot pretty much everything I've learned from school and I'm starting a clinical position for geriatric care in about 1 week. How can I review to get my knowledge and brain back up to speed?

I don't want to look like an idiot on day 1, but I feel like I might no matter what I do

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
Graduated in 2014 and I've been doing retail/non-clinical work ever since I left school.
I forgot pretty much everything I've learned from school and I'm starting a clinical position for geriatric care in about 1 week. How can I review to get my knowledge and brain back up to speed?

I don't want to look like an idiot on day 1, but I feel like I might no matter what I do

I'm surprised you got this job without a clinical type interview, in which you should have already reviewed said material.

Would using board review material helps ? I always feel if someone worked in either retail or other pharmacy position, they would be familiar with most common drugs and counseling point / interactions. I am struggling in school/rotation to learn about different disease states, guidelines, top 200-300 drugs, names, moa, counseling points and I always envy when I see pharmacist that already mastered those materials (maybe not the updated guidelines, but name/moa/ddi/counseling). Is that true that working in retail long enough one will forget the clinical knowledge? Based on my intern/rotation experience, I see some pharmacists use their clinical knowledge---such as MTM/tips calling (although not everyone is doing those MTM at their pharmacy), or counseling or answering pt's questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pharmacists that I know who have been in retail have long forgotten even some of the most basic info. Doesn't mean they are bad pharmacists, they just don't use a lot of the info so it is forgotten. Their background allows them to easily look up what they don't know.

Retail = geriatric care lol

Reactions: 1 users
You forgot it all only 2 years post NAPLEX? lol

Reactions: 1 user
The top moving drug at my LTC pharmacy is furosemide, so start there.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user