Clinical portion during the Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tritonvision

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask for opinions of those who have been through it or are more informative when it comes to the clinical portion of the interviews. It's the one part I'm most nervous about since I don't do well in a "on-the-spot" quizzing situation. How did you guys prepared for this part? What kind of questions were asked of you?

Members don't see this ad.

In one interview, I had a case where I had twenty minutes to prepare a SOAP note. Then, I presented the note to a panel of preceptors who answered questions. I would recommenced reviewing the guidelines, major interactions, and points for renal dose adjustment.

The problem is there are many, many, many guidelines and many, many, many common disease states. Are we talking asthma, HTN, DKA, MI (and stemi or nstemi), COPD, lipids, CAP, HAP, CHF...? The list goes on and on. And they all have their own drugs with their renal dose adjustments and you can't study everything... I feel like reviewing for this is impossible

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is there are many, many, many guidelines and many, many, many common disease states. Are we talking asthma, HTN, DKA, MI (and stemi or nstemi), COPD, lipids, CAP, HAP, CHF...? The list goes on and on. And they all have their own drugs with their renal dose adjustments and you can't study everything... I feel like reviewing for this is impossible
Tell me about it. I've done some reviewing but you just can't get to every single thing. I'm sticking to chronic disease states for the most part. I know I'll have a patient case for one interview, and a SOAP note for another.

I talk a little bit about this on my blog. The important thing with cases and soap notes isn't getting everything right but they want to see clinical reasoning and how you approach a problem with potentially many correct solutions or no good solutions.

www.clinical-rx.com

During my interviews last year this came up at two places. No references were allowed. I answered everything to the best of my ability and said I didn't know and would look it up for something I couldn't remember (still matched at the site too!). I think it's about seeing how you think on your feet and approach issues/give recommendations to a provider...they know you don't know everything.

During my interviews last year this came up at two places. No references were allowed. I answered everything to the best of my ability and said I didn't know and would look it up for something I couldn't remember (still matched at the site too!). I think it's about seeing how you think on your feet and approach issues/give recommendations to a provider...they know you don't know everything.
exactly - often we will ask theoretical questions - just to see thought process- we say there is not right or wrong answer but want to see your thought process

I had a case for one interview. It wasn't bad at all.

Are you going for a PGY-2?

I have my first PGY-1 interview this Monday and am kind of nervous about the patient case! It's at an inpatient setting, so should I focus most of my energy reviewing things like infectious diseases and more acute issues like MI/stroke?

Are you going for a PGY-2?

I have my first PGY-1 interview this Monday and am kind of nervous about the patient case! It's at an inpatient setting, so should I focus most of my energy reviewing things like infectious diseases and more acute issues like MI/stroke?

Different places do different things I'm sure but I'd say if you had your general medicine rotation already, you'll probably be fine.