Clinical Post Doc Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDGurl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has information on the ramifications of doing a clinical post doc abroad? I'm Canadian and there is a lack of formal, clinical post doc opportunities here and many that I find interesting in the US require citizenship. I'm thinking it might be interesting to do a couple years clinical post doc in Europe or Australia but if I'm shooting for board certification in the future I wonder how international training would be looked at? Of course before I decide I will contact the board but I was just wondering if any of you had done this or what you think about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone has information on the ramifications of doing a clinical post doc abroad? I'm Canadian and there is a lack of formal, clinical post doc opportunities here and many that I find interesting in the US require citizenship. I'm thinking it might be interesting to do a couple years clinical post doc in Europe or Australia but if I'm shooting for board certification in the future I wonder how international training would be looked at? Of course before I decide I will contact the board but I was just wondering if any of you had done this or what you think about it?

Many US/State Lic Boards require you to have supervision under a State Licensed Psychologist. Some don't require a post doc even, so it depends on what state you get licensed and desire to practice. I good rule of thumb is aim for 1800-2000 hrs under a State Lic Psychologist with 2hrs of direct supervision/wk. Not sure about other countries.