PhD/PsyD Clinical psych PhD program ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amiin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if I've missed an existing thread about this.

Can we discuss whether program rankings (i.e. US News) matter in terms of pursuing an internship and a career after getting the degree? And, does name recognition of the program count for much when applying for a position in academia or in an academic medical setting? I've been told a number of things by current students - 1) it's all about your CV and what you've published/presented and where interned, 2) working in Dr. X's (well known) lab will count more than a degree from X institution and 3) a degree from an obscure institution will hurt your job prospects.

If there are more "legitimate" rankings out there for clinical psychology programs, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Apologies if I've missed an existing thread about this.

Can we discuss whether program rankings (i.e. US News) matter in terms of pursuing an internship and a career after getting the degree? And, does name recognition of the program count for much when applying for a position in academia or in an academic medical setting? I've been told a number of things by current students - 1) it's all about your CV and what you've published/presented and where interned, 2) working in Dr. X's (well known) lab will count more than a degree from X institution and 3) a degree from an obscure institution will hurt your job prospects.

If there are more "legitimate" rankings out there for clinical psychology programs, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

I think most on SDN will agree that there are different tiers of clinical psychology programs, with FSPS at the bottom & clinical science programs more towards the top (although if you're not interested in research/academic positions, then this system would likely not apply). I will say that US News means nothing post- grad school, so you should apply to funded programs with faculty who are doing exciting research in your area of interest.

1) it's all about your CV and what you've published/presented and where interned, 2) working in Dr. X's (well known) lab will count more than a degree from X institution and 3) a degree from an obscure institution will hurt your job prospects
1 and 2 are completely true.
3 depends on the definition of obscure institution. If it's obscure in that the faculty in the PhD program are not well connected and that no one in the field has heard of the program, then it might heurt your job prospects, but if by obscure you mean it's not known outside of clinical psych, but is accredited with solid faculty and a good reputation within the field, than it won't matter.
For example, some people might call some of the SUNY schools a bit obscure, in that if you aren't from New York, you might not know much about them (at least for undergrad) - but a few of them have highly regarded clinical programs that would definitely help and not hinder your job prospects.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your CV is the strongest on the pile (i.e., you have more publications in quality journals and more grant funding than everyone else applying for the same position) then its the strongest on the pile. Period. Focus on making that happen and less on the name of your institution. Just my two cents.

Some of this myth persists because for several other professions, school pedigree matters a LOT. It's very, very important in business and law, if you want some specific kinds of jobs later. It's almost irrelevant in psych. Having an awesome advisor will get you nowhere if you yourself have a poor cv. Being in a weak lab won't matter if you struck out on your own to collaborate with a few other people and have a strong cv.

Reactions: 1 users
I think most on SDN will agree that there are different tiers of clinical psychology programs, with FSPS at the bottom & clinical science programs more towards the top (although if you're not interested in research/academic positions, then this system would likely not apply). I will say that US News means nothing post- grad school, so you should apply to funded programs with faculty who are doing exciting research in your area of interest.

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm happy to hear this.

1 and 2 are completely true.
3 depends on the definition of obscure institution. If it's obscure in that the faculty in the PhD program are not well connected and that no one in the field has heard of the program, then it might heurt your job prospects, but if by obscure you mean it's not known outside of clinical psych, but is accredited with solid faculty and a good reputation within the field, than it won't matter.
For example, some people might call some of the SUNY schools a bit obscure, in that if you aren't from New York, you might not know much about them (at least for undergrad) - but a few of them have highly regarded clinical programs that would definitely help and not hinder your job prospects.
I really appreciate your opinion and advice. Thanks!

If your CV is the strongest on the pile (i.e., you have more publications in quality journals and more grant funding than everyone else applying for the same position) then its the strongest on the pile. Period. Focus on making that happen and less on the name of your institution. Just my two cents.
Thanks for your feedback. Seems like you all are saying the same thing - go with a good match, ignore US News, and publish as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 users