About the ads

clinical psychology HPSP

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by marylene, Feb 3, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. UofMNPsych

UofMNPsych

Psychology Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey gang, I've been reading this forum for years now, very helpful I must say. I just found out I received one of the AF HPSP slots for 2010-2011. This forum seems to have kind of an Army bent, but I thought I would try my luck at connecting with other current/former HPSP recipients.

I have a questions about commissioning, which is the next step in my process. I don't really have a military family history and so I am wondering about how folks go about deciding who will commission them. What have your experiences been? This seems like kind of an important moment and although I had a great experience working with my recruiter, who was recently commissioned, I'd like my commissioning to have a little bit more of a personal touch.

Thanks
  2. Markp

Markp Post-Internship (ABD)

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'd do it if you were closer.

Seriously, I had a friend who was a Lt. Col. do my commissioning. Although it's a special moment, you get to redo it every time you get promoted too. You can have any one who is an officer, warrant officer, or I believe congress critter or senator to do it. I believe that judges and others entitled to administer oaths can do it as well.

More important is usually the people who pin on your rank, many ask their parents, spouses, or other loved ones to have the privilege of pinning on rank. You won't likely have a uniform at this point, so that won't be such a big deal, usually graduation from COTS (for the USAF) will be the big occasion that celebrates your coming out as an officer and will likely be the first time you wear a uniform in front of family. You take the oath there too.

I would ask around, you might know someone who can administer the oath.

Mark

PS - Congratulations!!!
  3. thecage

thecage

Psychology Student
    Hello all,
    I am anticipating acceptance to doctoral programs in Clincal Psycholgy programs currently. I plan to become a clinical psychologist in the Army and am currently scouting out the programs they have that could help me fund my education. I am fairly disappointed in the fact that the Army may only fund 2 years of education through HPSP (I plan to attend a 4 year doctorate program) and am looking for programs that they have that could help me more than that. While I am comfortable with the terms of HPSP for the final two years of my education, I do have several questions, including:
    (1) will the Army help me pay back loans from the first two years of my doctoral education?
    (2) is there any way to negotiate the contract so that I can receive the scholarship for all 4 years of school (as such, increase the length of service obligation)
    (3) what is the benefit of doing HPSP instead of just joining the Army after I get my doctorate and using the 120,000 loan repayment program they have?
    (4) is there any other 'nontraditional' way of receiving this type of funding (such as going to OCS or anything first)?
    (5) does the 3 year scholarship always include the internship (or, is there any way to receive tuition payment for more than 2 education years?)?

Thanks all. Anticipate further questions!
  4. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Only after you payback your commitment from HPSP. No "double dipping".

No, but I believe you can get LRP after you finish your HPSP commitment, which essentially is the same thing. I don't know if, or how much, the Army LRP is, but I am pretty sure they have one.

Because you can qualify for LRP when you are done with your payback for HPSP, AFAIK.

Not unless you count going to USUHS.

I don't know the answer to that one.

Mark
  5. thecage

thecage

Psychology Student
    Mark,
    I don't know what LRP or AFAIK are. With regard to paying off my debt from the first two years of my doctorate, when I am on active duty, do I qualify for any other loan repayment programs? Or did you mean something else?

Thanks.
  6. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    LRP = Loan Repayment Program
    AFAIK = As far as I know.

Your first 3 years on active duty you can defer payments, and you also qualify for public service loan forgiveness after 10 years of military service and 120 payments equal to no greater than 10% of your salary.

http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml

Mark
  7. UofMNPsych

UofMNPsych

Psychology Student
    (5) does the 3 year scholarship always include the internship (or, is there any way to receive tuition payment for more than 2 education years?)?

You may want to double check the facts for psychology HPSP. In the past I know they have offered longer scholarships, but currently the HPSP scholarship only covers the last academic year prior to your internship (residency). My recruiter was somewhat confused about this, he insisted that the scholarship was for two years, but what I think he didn't understand is that that second year is actually the residency program which isn't technically a part of the scholarship. You don't have to do the residency with the military, but I think it's a good idea. The Air Force HPSP board for psychology met this year at the same time that they decided on their interns for the upcoming academic year. In effect, if you are awared the HPSP scholarship, the board is communicating that they would be interested in you for residency as well.

I think it's a good idea to call a recruiter to get the facts straight for upcoming years. I know these things are subject to change, and what I've told you might not be true going forward.

@Markp, thanks again for the info on loan repayment.
  8. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This is very service specific. You will want to check with your recruiter and you will be highly encouraged (perhaps even ordered) to rank military programs highest. It makes sense, as you will really want to do a military internship for a number of reasons.

It's a weird system, there is no one process for all three branches.

Mark
  9. Household6

Household6

Psychology Student
    Hi everyone,

I am an Army spouse currently wrapping up undergrad. My husband was commissioned in 1994 and has been active duty ever since. As the spouse, I have lots of experience with the high operational tempo of the Army and I understand the impact of service on soldiers and families. As a result, I plan on serving in the Army as a clinical psychologist. Coincidently, I will probably begin my service as my husband retires :). He deserves a little R&R.

I am interested in applying to USUHS for Fall 2012 admission. Can anyone tell me what the application process is like for civilians who will join a particular service upon acceptance into the Program @ USUHS?
  10. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Historically, and this might change, the only civilians that have been admitted into the program have been Navy students. Army has always required that USUHS students be on active duty already and typically they are commissioned officers in the medical corp already. VERY FEW branch transfers and I don't know of any prior enlisted ARMY officers getting a slot.

Currently your best shot is through the Navy. I would contact the Army specialty leaders though if you want a shot at USUHS as a civilian and want to end up Army.

Mark
  11. Household6

Household6

Psychology Student
    Thanks Mark. This is valuable information. I am only interested in the Army, so I will contact the Army specialty leader to see what can be done. If what I was hoping is not possible, I will need to consider HPSP.
  12. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    There has been some rumbling about changing this to improve the number of qualified applicants applying... so keep that in mind.

Mark
  13. Household6

Household6

Psychology Student
    Sounds good. I'll keep my eyes and ears open :)
  14. C130pilot

C130pilot

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have not seen or read any information regarding my situation. I am currently a pilot with the air national guard. I have 10 years in and I am looking to transition into the clinical psychology field. I am already enrolled in Masters in Clinical Psychology with Capella University and I have 15 hours of classes with a 4.0. I live outside Nashville and there are two VA hospitals located close by. My questions are:

1. How do I take advantage of the HPSP as a current military member?

2. Will I have the option of working at the VA close by for my rotations or internship?

3. Does anyone have a subject matter expert related to my situation, and if so could they point me to that person?

4.. I am currently a senior Capt and how would this come into play with pay and access to the HPSP program?

Thanks to everyone in advance and God Bless.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  15. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    MOD NOTE: You posted the same message in 3 different threads <3 minutes apart. Please refrain from bumping up multiple threads AND starting a separate thread, all with the same post. One place will suffice to get an answer. -t4c

This thread is the most active HPSP thread here, so most likely Markp or another active HPSP'er will respond.
  16. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't think you can take advantage of HPSP in this case.

1. Capella is not APA accredited, you won't be qualified to get a military internship unless you get a Ph.D. from an APA accredited program (AFAIK.)

2. HPSP requires you to be commissioned as a O-1, it's not really what you're looking to do as a senior Capt. You would likely have to resign your commission and then recommission as an O-1 to take advantage of it.

3. I don't think there is a program other than the loan repayment program that would be useful, and that would only be available after you secured a military internship.

Good luck and let me know if you learn something different than what I believe. I don't know everything about every accession path for psychologists, but I don't think that an easy path exists for you.

Mark
  17. UofMNPsych

UofMNPsych

Psychology Student
    I posted a reply to this question on another thread. @Markp - as usual you filled in my knowledge gaps.

I agree that HPSP may not be of much use to C130pilot, but if s/he were in an accredited doctoral program, then s/he could apply for internships at military sites and be an O-3 during the internship year with 10 years of prior service, right?

I agree that loan repayment programs may be the best way to go in C130's case.
  18. UofMNPsych

UofMNPsych

Psychology Student
    I understand that as psych interns get closer to completing their residency year, they rank various sites around the US where they will spend their repayment period. Does anyone know where I can find a published list of the places that interns rank? I'm guessing that the list, in effect, changes from year to year based on current needs, but I wondered if a list of all possible placements exists.
  19. UofMNPsych

UofMNPsych

Psychology Student
    Hello again. My next question is about the cost of moving for the residency year. My understanding is that the military covers the cost of moving to your residency. If so, do they typically provide the movers, or do they give you a check and give you the option to move yourself.

I talked with one current active duty psychologist who explained that during his career he has moved several times and each time the Air Force has offered to move him or to cut him a check for the cost of the move. In each instance he opted for the check figuring he could do the move himself for cheaper and pocket some of the money.

I am wondering about others' experience with this. Thanks.
  20. AMEDD Officer

AMEDD Officer

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In the Army, your list is basically any installation that is big enough to have behavioral health, but it depends on what opportunities are open at a given time. I'd assume the Air Force is basically the same way, but with a shorter list of course.
  21. AMEDD Officer

AMEDD Officer

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    DOD makes you go through a transportation briefing that covers all this before you set up your move. There is more than one way to do it, but rest assured that a reasonable amount of household goods can be moved at no cost to you.
  22. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You should be allowed to move AT LEAST 13,000 lbs for free under a government move, you might be able to pocket money with a DIY move, but you do all the work... so really you're getting paid as a mover. That's up to you to decide if it's worth it... you're getting paid by the lb/mile traveled.

Mark
  23. cognosco

cognosco

Psychology Student
    I am considering applying for the Navy HPSP program for clinical psychology. I have already completed my BS and a MS (both in psychology, 3.6+ GPA).
    I will begin the first year of a 4+1 program in clinical neuro this fall.

I have two issues for you:
    1. I was prescribed Adderall earlier this year and have been taking it about 6 months. I have been told from a few reliable sources that one must be drug-free for at least a year prior to enlisting. I have stopped taking the medication, but with the application deadline approaching in December, it isn't possible for this to happen if I apply this year. My question is does the "one year" apply to the date you apply to the program or the date in which you are commissioned. If it is the later, then I will be fine. If not, I guess I can put my plans on hold until next year.

2. The Navy HPSP allows for three years of coverage. Do I have the option of choosing them to pay for years 2-4 rather than 3-5? The fifth year is the internship, which is operated by the Navy. Thus, it doesn't make much sense for the Navy to pay me active duty officer's pay plus the $2000 a month I will receive as a function of the HPSP. In contrast, if the Navy will pay for years 2-4, it will save me a substantial amount of money and life will be happier.
    This issue is related to the question above -- if the Navy only pays for the last three years (including the internship year), then the amphetamine use is essentially not an issue as it will be well over a year before I can even apply.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your feedback!
  24. cognosco

cognosco

Psychology Student
    Does anyone have any information about how to go about practicing neuropsych in the Navy? I'm aware of the actual educational proces (i.e., per Div 40/Houston Conference guidelines). What isn't so clear is whether there is a path that one can follow that involves the HPSP program and post-doctoral training in neuropsych.

Thanks for any input!
  25. erg923

erg923

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm about to go thru the dreaded MEPs process for military internships, and my impression is that its not so much what your taking, but the diagnosis behind why you're taking it. If its AD/HD...i think that could be a showstopper?
  26. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member

MOD NOTE: We have a number of active HPSP threads on here, so I merged your topics with the most popular thread. Please read through the thread because there is a lot of excellent information about HPSP. -t4c
  27. AMEDD Officer

AMEDD Officer

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In answer to the last and first questions, there is NO way to get more than 2 years of your psychology doctorate covered under HPSP (as of Fiscal years 2010 & 2011). I know many people would love to find a loophole, but there are none, period. You MAY be eligible for loan repayment after completing your HPSP obligation (as noted above), but no one can promise that because program availability changes every year. You can only be promised those programs that are currently funded in the year that you sign up for them.
  28. AMEDD Officer

AMEDD Officer

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1. Whenever they state an amount of time for a medical condition waiting period, it is counted back from the time of your medical waiver review and (hopefully) approval - which is before commissioning.

2. Sit down with your Navy recruiter again and get him/her to re-explain the details of the program to you, because it looks like you have some fundamental misconceptions about the amount of school tuition/stipend coverage, and which years can be covered. For all three branches the years covered are set (i.e. non-flexible), and they are never more than the last two of your doctorate (not counting internship). Army always has competitive one and two year scholarships, as well as direct internship applicant opportunities, but the other branches may or may not offer all of those options in a given year. NO ONE offers a three or four year (not counting internship) scholarship - they do not exist for military psychology as of fiscal year 2011.
  29. DocRacz

DocRacz

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I'm relatively new to this forum (just read through all of this today during some downtime in my lab duties), and had a few questions:

I've talked to both an AF and Army recruiter about the HPSP. I noticed some people above me here talking about only getting HPSP your 3rd, 4th, and internship years. Yet, the AF recruiter (possibly the Army as well, though I know for sure the AF guy) said that I was eligible for it next year (I'm currently a first year Clin. Psych. PhD student). Any thoughts on that? I'd love to start next year...

For me, the big question is about the time commitment. I grew up a Marine brat, I've always wanted to join the military (but was basically talked out of it by my parents), and honestly would want to spend my "repayment" time deployed out of country. I'm currently only 23, so in another 3 years (done with 4 years of schooling) would be 26, one year internship (27), then 3 years of repayment. Being 27 with a guaranteed doctoral job (for at least 3 years) doesn't sound so bad...though a friend that is also considering HPSP is married, and has a wife who would follow him (whereas I'd have to find one!)
  30. PsychStudent101

PsychStudent101

Psychology Student
    Sorry for replying to a post from august, but I wanted to comment on your second point. I am currently applying to the Navy HPSP and I have been told by my recruiter specifically, on more than one occasion, that the scholarship will cover my next three years of school (not counting internship).
  31. DocRacz

DocRacz

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Psych101 - who's your recruiter/where are you located? I've been trying to get ahold of a Navy medical recruiting officer for a while now and haven't had any luck...
  32. kinzie

kinzie

Psychology Student
    I just want to second this. I ended up talking with a Navy officer about the HPSP program while also getting information on USUHS. He emphasized that the Navy HPSP (which is new) covers three years+internship. It is different from the Army program in this respect.

This website: http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/careers/navy_psychology/index.aspx has some good information specific to Navy psychology, including a written summary about the Navy's HPSP program.

That written summary includes contact information for application questions. I would try the two people it lists before going the general medical-recruiter route.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  33. PsychStudent101

PsychStudent101

Psychology Student
    Wow. Ya, that is good information there. Very concise and to the point. That HPSP word document reiterates everything I have been told.
  34. PsychStudent101

PsychStudent101

Psychology Student
    Check out the website posted above. It might be wise to contact Dr. Getka first.
  35. mixolyd

mixolyd

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  36. cstar

cstar

Psychology Student
    I am currently in the middle of applying for the Clinical Psych HPSP, and in indirect and direct ways, the recruiter has been telling me to lie at MEPS. He has given me the impression that this is simply something that everyone does, simply a part of the culture, that saying no to everything is the simplest and easiest way to get through it. Given that there are no serious health concerns in my history, part of me understands this and can see why he would be telling me this. However, I, and most people, are not so perfectly constructed as to say no honestly to everything. I am in counseling because this is a requirement for my course of study, and he told me that this is not counseling, but rather it is training. I have heard that during MEPS, the interviewer also asks whether the recruiter has told me to lie. This has begun to seem like a bit of a dysfunctional charade to me, and I am beginning to seriously question how to do this with integrity.

If you could assist with this from your experience, I would be very grateful. In your experience, is lying at MEPS commonplace, and have you ever seen anyone get caught?
  37. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Some people get caught lying at or after MEPS, some pay for it later, some don't.

Here is my personal view on it.

1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't over disclose, not asked, not answered.
    3. Don't self diagnose. If a professional didn't officially diagnose you, you cannot report that you were diagnosed with a condition.

Integrity is important, and if you lie once and EVER slip up you risk the consequences of falsifying that documentation. It is more common with enlisted recruiting than officer recruiting, but the fact is that the primary reason a recruiter would ever suggest that you to lie is to serve their own goals... higher numbers, less paperwork, etc. It is not being suggested to benefit you in most cases.

Fraudulent documentation is a career killer.
  38. StacyTXLPC

StacyTXLPC

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Mark or anyone out there know any stats on deployment rates for army or navy psychologists, mos 73B? I am applying for a psyd program for next fall and considering army and navy hpsp. I know that navy covers more school years under hpsp, though I prefer to go army. I can't find any stats online by mos; even the anecdotal stuff is 5-6 years old. I work at Brooke AMC, so I know of an army phd I can talk to as well.

Thanks!
  39. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Right now doesn't really matter. You'd have to have one hell of a crystal ball to predict 5+ years from now.

That said, a more important statistic in my mind is length of deployment, Army has been doing 16 month deployments and Navy only 6-8 month deployments. Dwell time has historically been 2 for 1. 6 months out means a nearly assured 12 months home (but it is not a guarantee.) There are a lot of rules that surround how deployments are handed out... It's much more complex than you might think at first blush.

You cannot (as a general rule) be deployed before you finish training (get licensed.) Right now, getting licensed in the Navy comes with an all expense paid vacation.... to Afghanistan. :)

So that's at least 5 years for most HPSP students.
  40. StacyTXLPC

StacyTXLPC

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good point. Thanks for the perspective.
  41. maddoc1

maddoc1

Psychology Student
    Good evening all,
    After reading all the thread i know i have to sit back and wait. does anyone know if i can use my GI Bill along with the scholarship ? Army folks how much do you actually make and is it enough to live on ?
  42. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't see why you could not, but it seems that you would be wasting your GI benefits by trying to combine both. My personal opinion is to save your GI bill benefits for something or someone later (e.g. one person I know is doing their RxP this way)
  43. maddoc1

maddoc1

Psychology Student
    i was told it was about $2,500 per month. The GI Bill would help with my rent
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  44. LMK

LMK

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Stacey, Maj. Engeran at BAMC would be a great person for you to talk with, if you haven't already. She is the coordinator for the 5 army internships and the TD at BAMC.

Also, the Army has 1,2,& 3 year HPSP; you can apply in your first year for the last 3 years of school. The internship is active duty so the scholarship is over at that point and you're paid as an officer. The Army Is also implementing a post-doc accession...so many ways to go Army now...there's a Facebook page where Maj Engeran posted about it, you'll find it if you search Army HPSP or Army Clinical Psychology.
  45. BAL

BAL

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to the Adler School of Professional Psych - military track program for the Fall 2012 academic year. I have every intention of applying for the Navy HPSP program upon completion of my 1st year. Can anyone provide some insight as to what I can do to bolster my application packet for them in the year I have to prepare? I'm hoping that being in a program with a military concentration will give me an edge and I'm physically fit, what else do they look for? Thanks in advance for any advice!
  46. ticktoc

ticktoc

I am very interested to hear this as well. I have been reading and re-reading all of the threads that mention anything about HPSP (Thank you BARMY and Mark for your insights). What would those who have applied recommend in regards to...
    -Experiences to seek out during that first year (and second year if I am not accepted initially)?
    -What do you know now that you wish someone told you when you were applying (aside from the utter mass of paper work and running around)?
    -Or found out a great opportunity you were unaware of until after you submitted your application?

I apologize if there are answers to these questions.

Thank you again from someone who hopes to join you in the future.

47. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I will caveat this by saying this is my opinion only, it is NOT the opinion of the Navy or anyone involved in the selection process. It is in no way official nor should it be construed as such.

I believe they look for excellent performance (both as an undergrad and as a graduate student) and I expect it to be quite competitive. Does it help to look and act the part, sure, I believe it does. I also think that a healthy mature attitude will also go a long way to helping you get this scholarship (as I am sure they will interview promising candidates). I think it's important to know why you want to do this, and have a good rationale for it beyond simple patriotism. Good Luck!

VA Practicums!

Don't get discouraged. Keep your eye on the prize... remain confident and poised. It's a challenge to get one of these scholarships, best of luck, have a plan B. I didn't go through the HPSP program so my input is of limited use.

Can't think of any.

Good luck.
  48. psych student13

psych student13

Psychology Student
    Does anyone know how many scholarships are offered each year for each branch?
  49. Markp

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think it is less than 10 per branch. Navy, I believe may be up to as many as 6 per year being awarded, but I wouldn't count on it being even that high.

Mark
  50. roubs

roubs Ph.D. Student

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I had no idea about this. What a nice stealth benefit!

I received the HPSP scholarship from the Navy last year, there were five awarded.

Same caveat Mark gave, we really don't know exactly what their criteria are so this is my opinion only. I'd echo Mark's comments, but also mention that I had no VA practicum experience.

- I'd be very mindful of writing a strong statement of purpose.
    - Stay in contact with all employers from the recent past, you may need them for recommendations.
    - Get all As in your classes. (aim high :p)