clinical psychology HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to add, that if you are getting in to do 4 and get out, it might not be the best match. The mindset of someone who wants to pay their bills (which is admirable) and move on to something else, might not give you the job satisfaction you are looking for. I worry that people following the money, which is lucrative, are setting themselves up for an experience that they will find frustrating and less than satisfying. I don't say this to scare you off or set you on a different course, but if you wouldn't be happy in this environment without the money, no amount of loan repayment would change that. The military is VERY different than the "real world", and I love it for that, but there are people who can't stand it for the same reason (and it's a good reason.)

Mark

Hey Mark, roubs, and/or other HPSP/USUHS/Navy/Army/Airforce Psychologists

I was hoping you could unpack the statement above. In what ways do you see the culture/environment of military psychology differing from "real world" experiences?

Im going back and forth about applying for HPSP and/or Navy internship down the line, and am just curious to see more description of the lived-experience of a naval psychologist (been reading back issues of The Naval Psychologist online, in addition to posting on webboards!).

Military service honestly never occurred to me until this year. Im in the first year of a doc program, having already completed a MA in counseling...so Im sort-of a 2nd year? Essentially I have two more years of classes/practica prior to internship. Researching internships this year I became interested in the Navy WRMMC site, due to the depth/breadth of training combined with the financial and career development support.

I am hesitant about committing mainly due to having no first-hand or familial experience with military / naval culture. I have a prior boss who retired from Navy after 20 years who Ive spoken with, but thats about it. Lots to think about...just looking for more first-hand accounts.

-ela

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mark, roubs, and/or other HPSP/USUHS/Navy/Army/Airforce Psychologists

I was hoping you could unpack the statement above. In what ways do you see the culture/environment of military psychology differing from "real world" experiences?

Im going back and forth about applying for HPSP and/or Navy internship down the line, and am just curious to see more description of the lived-experience of a naval psychologist (been reading back issues of The Naval Psychologist online, in addition to posting on webboards!).

Military service honestly never occurred to me until this year. Im in the first year of a doc program, having already completed a MA in counseling...so Im sort-of a 2nd year? Essentially I have two more years of classes/practica prior to internship. Researching internships this year I became interested in the Navy WRMMC site, due to the depth/breadth of training combined with the financial and career development support.

I am hesitant about committing mainly due to having no first-hand or familial experience with military / naval culture. I have a prior boss who retired from Navy after 20 years who Ive spoken with, but thats about it. Lots to think about...just looking for more first-hand accounts.

-ela

I could write a novel about the topic I think, but I will focus on the big 3.

Moving
Job Responsibilities
Deployments

These are the three things that really set the military apart from anything you might see as a civilian.

Moving: Moving is a fact of life in the military and it's not always where you want to be. Although we had some input into where we went for our next assignment (as interns or postdocs) not all of us got assignments we wanted. Some of us (like me) picked assignments less likely to be on ANYONES radar but were pleasant. Others picked popular locations where many people ranked high. I know that some interns/postdocs got choices near the bottom of their lists, while others got their first or second choices. Sometimes being in the Navy means you don't have a choice, and that sucks, as a matter of fact often times it means you might have a choice between bad place A and worse place B. This is the chance you take when you join the military, while clearly everyone wants you to be happy, it's not always possible. Upside, you'll move again, so wait long enough and the scenery will change.

Job Responsibilities: As a civilian, you will never stand watches, be officer of the day (general problem solver), or be required to work hours that you are unwilling to work. Not so much in the military, if you are ordered to be at work at 0500 for an event or issue, you will be there. If you are assigned a 24 hour duty watch, you will serve it, even if it's a holiday. You also will be expected to have collateral duties in addition to doing your primary job. Some of these suck and some offer great opportunities. I know I am painting a grim picture, in reality it's not all that grim, but you are expected to do more than see patients. You're expected to be seen as a leader and get involved with the command in general.

Deployments: Everyone's least favorite part of the military until you get back home and you get to talk about the incredible things you did while your life was completely on hold and you had to eat the worst food imaginable while dealing with poorly aimed mortar fire, hostile detainees, or other such non sense you might see in Afghanistan or at Gitmo.These are dreaded because they take you away from your supportive environment (most military units are very supportive places to work) and your family. On the otherhand, many units send their deployed troops care packages of needed items to help keep up your spirits (which is not quite the same in civilian employment.)

I know I put mostly stuff that people find daunting about military service. Personally, I love being in and working for the military. It's a great environment. I find it professional, collegial, and supportive. I have a great assignment coming up and I am excited about the possibilities for me in my career. It's not easy, but it's worthwhile.

I could write a novel about the topic I think, but I will focus on the big 3.

Moving
Job Responsibilities
Deployments

These are the three things that really set the military apart from anything you might see as a civilian.

Moving: Moving is a fact of life in the military and it's not always where you want to be. Although we had some input into where we went for our next assignment (as interns or postdocs) not all of us got assignments we wanted. Some of us (like me) picked assignments less likely to be on ANYONES radar but were pleasant. Others picked popular locations where many people ranked high. I know that some interns/postdocs got choices near the bottom of their lists, while others got their first or second choices. Sometimes being in the Navy means you don't have a choice, and that sucks, as a matter of fact often times it means you might have a choice between bad place A and worse place B. This is the chance you take when you join the military, while clearly everyone wants you to be happy, it's not always possible. Upside, you'll move again, so wait long enough and the scenery will change.

Job Responsibilities: As a civilian, you will never stand watches, be officer of the day (general problem solver), or be required to work hours that you are unwilling to work. Not so much in the military, if you are ordered to be at work at 0500 for an event or issue, you will be there. If you are assigned a 24 hour duty watch, you will serve it, even if it's a holiday. You also will be expected to have collateral duties in addition to doing your primary job. Some of these suck and some offer great opportunities. I know I am painting a grim picture, in reality it's not all that grim, but you are expected to do more than see patients. You're expected to be seen as a leader and get involved with the command in general.

Deployments: Everyone's least favorite part of the military until you get back home and you get to talk about the incredible things you did while your life was completely on hold and you had to eat the worst food imaginable while dealing with poorly aimed mortar fire, hostile detainees, or other such non sense you might see in Afghanistan or at Gitmo.These are dreaded because they take you away from your supportive environment (most military units are very supportive places to work) and your family. On the otherhand, many units send their deployed troops care packages of needed items to help keep up your spirits (which is not quite the same in civilian employment.)

I know I put mostly stuff that people find daunting about military service. Personally, I love being in and working for the military. It's a great environment. I find it professional, collegial, and supportive. I have a great assignment coming up and I am excited about the possibilities for me in my career. It's not easy, but it's worthwhile.

Markp - thanks again for the, as usual, thoughtful response.

As for the above bolded:

1. Brings up a good point (novel about military psych) - any reading you would particularly suggest related to military psychology?

2. My old boss opened a artisinal/gourmet food shop after retiring from the Navy (he was a Captain). He used to refer to our shifts as "Watch", and would sprinkle all kinds of navy lingo into daily discourse. It really elevated the sense of duty to our customers!
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Markp - thanks again for the, as usual, thoughtful response.

As for the above bolded:

1. Brings up a good point (novel about military psych) - any reading you would particularly suggest related to military psychology?

2. My old boss opened a artisinal/gourmet food shop after retiring from the Navy (he was a Captain). He used to refer to our shifts as "Watch", and would sprinkle all kinds of navy lingo into daily discourse. It really elevated the sense of duty to our customers!
:laugh:

Rule number 2

American Sniper

Book number one gives you the perspective of a psychologist deployed with combat troops. Book number two gives you an idea of how service members and their families experience life at times.

There are of course Kennedy's books on Military Psychology and Military Neuropsychology which are more academic in nature for those interested in a more technical look at military psychology.

Mark

is anyone applying for Air Force HPSP? Does anyone know when board results are coming out?

Has anyone heard of a minimum GRE score for Army Clinical Psych HPSP applicants, or have any clue what it might be??

I cannot find info on it ANYWHERE, and I am too anxious to wait to hear back from the recruiter about it :)

Thanks!

Has anyone heard of a minimum GRE score for Army Clinical Psych HPSP applicants, or have any clue what it might be??

I cannot find info on it ANYWHERE, and I am too anxious to wait to hear back from the recruiter about it :)

Thanks!

There probably isn't a published minimum. However, I would expect competitive applicants to be above 1000, if the GRE is required. A score of 1200 should be more than adequate. (I don't know the new GRE scale so forgive me for talking in old terms.)

There probably isn't a published minimum. However, I would expect competitive applicants to be above 1000, if the GRE is required. A score of 1200 should be more than adequate. (I don't know the new GRE scale so forgive me for talking in old terms.)

The recruiter seems to think there is a minimum, like they have for med students with the MCAT. I just want to know if there is a cutoff that would disqualify a person from the actual application process, soooo if anyone has heard anything like this during their application process for the HPSP, please let me know :D

Thanks for your input Mark!

I was not told of a minimum during my HPSP application. If there is a cutoff it's extremely unlikely anyone on this board would know it given that it may shift based on yearly applicant pool. The guidelines Mark gave are good ones to go by imo.

Hey guys. We have an Air Force recruiter coming to the dept in a few hours. What are the most important things to ask (in a nutshell)? I've read previous threads but I know that the AF might be a tad different. Thanks!!

Hey guys. We have an Air Force recruiter coming to the dept in a few hours. What are the most important things to ask (in a nutshell)? I've read previous threads but I know that the AF might be a tad different. Thanks!!

Well, if it were a few days and not a few hours lead time, that might have helped.

That said, only you know what's important to you about joining a military service. Everyone has their own unique concerns about joining the military, I would ask you two questions before trying to answer your question.

Why would you want to do this?

Why would you not want to do this?

Without knowing about that, it's hard to advise you on what questions to ask.

Thanks!

There is no minimum.

Does anyone know when the Navy HPSP committee meets? I was originally told that it would be around the first of May, but then was told it would be in the middle of May...I'm guessing the end of this week at the latest, but am not entirely sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Per another SDN thread, one applicant last year learned about their acceptance on May 22nd. The best information I have is that the board meets some time in May, not necessarily on May 1st, and that results could be out as late as early June (or any minute now). I'd be interested to know if anyone has better information, or if people had thoughts or insights following the interviews.

I got a call on May 24th last year.

Argh. So even if the board meets tomorrow, we likely won't know until the following week...hoo-rah. Gotta love the waiting game.

On a related note, I wonder how many applicants there were this year...I know quite a few people who had expressed interest in the Navy scholarship, once they heard about the "guaranteed" internship.

An aside, my best advice to future applicants is to get in touch with a medical recruiter and start the application process during the summer before your first year.

Disregard. I understand now... Applications are due mid-way through your 1st year

Last edited:
Argh. So even if the board meets tomorrow, we likely won't know until the following week...hoo-rah. Gotta love the waiting game.

On a related note, I wonder how many applicants there were this year...I know quite a few people who had expressed interest in the Navy scholarship, once they heard about the "guaranteed" internship.

While not guaranteed, it is a high probability event... however having gone through most of the internship, lol, I don't know if people really understand how intense this internship is.

I will say this, the training is excellent... I think that the difficulty is high. Others may feel differently, I suspect that everyone has their own take on how challenging the internship here really is.

You should read the 200 page internship training manual, it's a good time.

Random question, but wondering if anyone who has the HPSP scholarship could tell me - if I'm selected for the Navy HPSP starting this Fall (which we'll hopefully find out within the next week or so), would I be allowed to travel out of the country this Summer?

I had a planned trip to South Korea, but just want to make sure that I'd still be allowed to do so if I get the scholarship, since otherwise I'll have to cancel the trip.

Just heard from a recruiter - Navy board has been pushed back until "sometime in June," so looks like those people waiting for Navy are going to be waiting a bit longer

Does anyone know or familiar with about how many applications are submitted for HPSP? I am particularly interested in Navy, but curious as to the other branches as well if there is stronger preference for one over the other by students.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some clarification on when to contact a medical recruiter for the US Navy HPSP. I've read many different things from different sources on this. I'm beginning my first year as a Psy.D student for the Military Clinical Psych program at Adler School in Chicago this fall. Should I contact a Navy medical recruiter this summer before I start my program or should I wait until I have started school? Also, if it's best that I contact one now, I currently live in Michigan and will move to Chicago soon, I'm assuming it's best to contact a recruiter out of Chicago rather than Michigan, correct? Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some clarification on when to contact a medical recruiter for the US Navy HPSP. I've read many different things from different sources on this. I'm beginning my first year as a Psy.D student for the Military Clinical Psych program at Adler School in Chicago this fall. Should I contact a Navy medical recruiter this summer before I start my program or should I wait until I have started school? Also, if it's best that I contact one now, I currently live in Michigan and will move to Chicago soon, I'm assuming it's best to contact a recruiter out of Chicago rather than Michigan, correct? Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

With the military it is always better to be early than late. You know where you are going, so there is nothing wrong with contacting the recruiter early in the process to just get a relationship and the timeline established. They will tell you what you need to do and when you need to get it done by.

Given the precise details though, I would contact the medical recruiter in Chicago, as that would make the most sense and I would probably wait until I actually made the move to Chicago. I seriously doubt that you could miss any important cutoffs or deadlines before you actually move given that the process scholarships are not awarded until after you have completed one year of schooling.

Best of luck.

Markp and Student til 30, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! Your information will be very helpful. I'm sure in the upcoming months I'll be asking plenty of questions. :)

Any news yet? Just talked to my recruiter and he hasn't heard anything... if anyone gets an acceptance call/letter (or rejection) can you please post :)

Sorry for the delay - I found out about a week ago from Dr. Getka that I was one of the 5 selected for the Navy this year. Anyone else found out? I heard there were two of us through Omaha recruitment...

This is such a trivial issue in the grand scheme of HPSP application things, however, I am applying this year and it has crossed my mind a few times. I thought I'd see what my SDN friends had to say...

First question is this, for those who have been through the application process before, how personal do the interviews get? I imagine they would want to know about any family/dependents etc. I have a serious significant other who is currently enlisted. On one hand I feel it may be helpful to express that by being with him I've had exposure to military culture/lifestyle, on the other I know how the military frowns on officer/enlisted relationships. Would an existing relationship with an enlisted sailor "black mark" my application? Can someone advise on how to address this?

Second question provided I do get the scholarship - in all the research he and I have done so far, it's our understanding that if we can prove that the relationship established outside of the Navy prior to my commissioning, and we're not in the same chain of command that we'll be safe from any fraternization rules. Does anyone have experience like this?

Any insights are helpful! Thanks so much!

This is such a trivial issue in the grand scheme of HPSP application things, however, I am applying this year and it has crossed my mind a few times. I thought I'd see what my SDN friends had to say...

First question is this, for those who have been through the application process before, how personal do the interviews get? I imagine they would want to know about any family/dependents etc. I have a serious significant other who is currently enlisted. On one hand I feel it may be helpful to express that by being with him I've had exposure to military culture/lifestyle, on the other I know how the military frowns on officer/enlisted relationships. Would an existing relationship with an enlisted sailor "black mark" my application? Can someone advise on how to address this?

Second question provided I do get the scholarship - in all the research he and I have done so far, it's our understanding that if we can prove that the relationship established outside of the Navy prior to my commissioning, and we're not in the same chain of command that we'll be safe from any fraternization rules. Does anyone have experience like this?

Any insights are helpful! Thanks so much!

Hmm, this is sticky and something worth discussing with your significant other.

Once you become an officer, as far as I know, it would mean that you would need to end the the relationship unless you were in a legal relationship (brother, mother, father, spouse) that you could not really dissolve without legal action (dating doesn't count).

It is my experience that dating relationships between officers and enlisted members (regardless of existing previously and regardless of chain of command, or even branch of service) would not be supported/encouraged/allowed by most commanders.

Solutions.

1. Get married. Done deal, no problems.
2. Have him separate from the military.
3. End the relationship.

I would figure everything out before you decide to broach the topic with anyone who is making a decision regarding your suitability for a scholarship. I think if you have a plan forward that respects the rules on fraternization, then you can discuss your experience in a positive manner. However, discussions that suggest that you might not respect the regulations and rules on fraternization seems like a sure-fire way to guarantee not getting an HPSP scholarship.

Hmm, this is sticky and something worth discussing with your significant other.

Once you become an officer, as far as I know, it would mean that you would need to end the the relationship unless you were in a legal relationship (brother, mother, father, spouse) that you could not really dissolve without legal action (dating doesn't count).

It is my experience that dating relationships between officers and enlisted members (regardless of existing previously and regardless of chain of command, or even branch of service) would not be supported/encouraged/allowed by most commanders.

Solutions.

1. Get married. Done deal, no problems.
2. Have him separate from the military.
3. End the relationship.

I would figure everything out before you decide to broach the topic with anyone who is making a decision regarding your suitability for a scholarship. I think if you have a plan forward that respects the rules on fraternization, then you can discuss your experience in a positive manner. However, discussions that suggest that you might not respect the regulations and rules on fraternization seems like a sure-fire way to guarantee not getting an HPSP scholarship.

Sticky, absolutely. Unfortunate too, as I am certain we would make better sailors with each other than without. Who knew the sacrifices had to start BEFORE signing on the dotted line. Haha I am not surprised in the least.

You say that these relationships are generally not supported or encouraged by most commanders, but we know that they exist, right? I imagine there could be severe disciplinary action if a relationship was uncovered that was not already legal or known about, correct?

Thank you for the reality check, Markp. Your advice is most helpful as always! Now to work on that plan...

Last edited:
Sticky, absolutely. Unfortunate too, as I am certain we would make better sailors with each other than without. Who knew the sacrifices had to start BEFORE signing on the dotted line. Haha I am not surprised in the least.

You say that these relationships are generally not supported or encouraged by most commanders, but we know that they exist, right? I imagine there could be severe disciplinary action if a relationship was uncovered that was not already legal or known about, correct?

Thank you for the reality check, Markp. Your advice is most helpful as always! Now to work on that plan...

Yes, they exist, and some people have paid dearly for them when they are uncovered.

You don't want to place yourself in a vulnerable position like that for a number of reasons. Disciplinary action can run the gamut from a verbal, "terminate that relationship", a direct order to actual charges under Captain's Mast/Courts Martial. Mind you it would be relatively rare for a Courts Martial to be the first response, but Captain's Mast would NOT be unusual and can be a career killer. The best thing is not to put yourself in this position in the first place.

I did have some further thoughts on the matter, for what it's worth.

If you are considering marriage, a potential plan forward could be as follows:

1. Interview and see how it goes. You can always state that you have interacted with service members and that the close relationships you formed with service members gave you a better appreciation of military service. You control the details you share.
2. Remain single until you receive a decision.
3. If you are accepted to the program, get married before accepting a commission, if not accepted, you don't have to move forward with a marriage.
4. Both of you keep your careers and press forward.

If you are not interested marriage, a potential plan could be as follows:

1. Interview and see how it goes. You can always state that you have interacted with service members and that the close relationships you formed with service members gave you a better appreciation of military service. You control the details you share.
2. Remain single.
3. If selected, allow your significant other to decide what he wants to do regarding the relationship knowing the rules that you must abide by.
4. If the outcome of that decision is unacceptable to you, then you would naturally decline the scholarship.

You are faced with some tough decisions. Unfortunately the one answer that you would like to hear isn't going to be the one you get. It's really a deal breaker for an officer to be actively dating an enlisted member.

M

Markp, I think those options are (realistically) the only ones - and I would have to agree wholeheartedly that one should not place their career in jeopardy by having this officer-enlisted relationship that is not officially government sanctioned (i.e., marriage).

However, one of the options listed was to wait until hearing about receiving the scholarship, then getting married before commissioning. I see this as being a slight difficulty - when I found out I received HPSP to the time I commissioned was only about 2 weeks. Seems extremely difficult to fit a full marriage into that time frame...maybe civil marriage and an actual traditional marriage ceremony later?

Just my 2 cents

Hello all,

I am a senior level psych student going into grad school next year in hopes of completing a Psy D. Im looking into participating in the HPSP program but I have a million questions and cannottt finds answers, so hopefully someone can pleasee help me out.
  1. Who do I speak to to get info on the HPSP program offered in each branch? Recruiters seem to have no idea what the program even is
  2. What I believe Ive been seeing is that the clinical psych HPSP only does the monthly stipend and tuition pay for 1-2 yrs. So how would it work if Im going for a 5 year degree but want to start next year? Would I be able to work for them all the way through?
  3. How does the sign up process work? Do I just meet with someone and bam im in? Or is it an application process? Does is require some physical or academic tests?
If someone could please help or at least point me in the right direction itd be greatllllyyy appreciated :)

Hello all,

I am a senior level psych student going into grad school next year in hopes of completing a Psy D. Im looking into participating in the HPSP program but I have a million questions and cannottt finds answers, so hopefully someone can pleasee help me out.
  1. Who do I speak to to get info on the HPSP program offered in each branch? Recruiters seem to have no idea what the program even is
  2. What I believe Ive been seeing is that the clinical psych HPSP only does the monthly stipend and tuition pay for 1-2 yrs. So how would it work if Im going for a 5 year degree but want to start next year? Would I be able to work for them all the way through?
  3. How does the sign up process work? Do I just meet with someone and bam im in? Or is it an application process? Does is require some physical or academic tests?
If someone could please help or at least point me in the right direction itd be greatllllyyy appreciated :)

Everything I say here is Army specific. I am not qualified to speak for the Navy or Air Force.

1. All things start with the recruiter. You need to speak to a Healthcare Recruiter, they are the ones who have training on recruiting psychologists.

2. You can not apply until your third year. The Army will only pay at the back end, so financing the first three years is up to another source.

3. You don't "sign up". It;s a competitive scholarship where your academic, physical (there is a physical involved), and to some extent your moral records are looked at. For the Army, the board usually meets in January.

This is the most generic way to answer your questions. If you have more specific questions please feel free to PM me.

Hello all,

For the Navy's HPSP program they would like you to apply during your first year, and you also need to contact a medical programs recruiter, not just any recruiter. It's also a scholarship application for the Navy.

For the Navy's HPSP program they would like you to apply during your first year, and you also need to contact a medical programs recruiter, not just any recruiter. It's also a scholarship application for the Navy.

Thanks so much. So I would be able to apply for the HPSP next year and, if accepted, begin working next year even if they will only pay for a couple years?

Thanks so much. So I would be able to apply for the HPSP next year and, if accepted, begin working next year even if they will only pay for a couple years?

I'm not sure I understand your question. You apply in the fall of your first year and because it is a scholarship, you then finish your program and begin working for the Navy for a specified number of years after graduation. My understanding is the clock starts when you are licensed. So clearly under this your first year would need to be financed by means other than the Navy.

For the Navy, I applied in both my first and second year (hey, I REALLY wanted it, especially after a paperwork error being the reason I wasn't considered the first year). I was granted the Navy HPSP, starting in my third year. However, I do have to stay at my graduate school for a 5th year, in order to make it a "3 for 3" (3 years of the Navy supporting my schooling for 3 years of 'payback' time). I am not sure if this was a special case or something they're fairly open to, but if you're beyond your first year, there is still hope. Just ask your recruiter and push push push that paperwork!

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to get a hold of the right people but a common response I'm hearing is that "there's not much we can do for someone with just a bachelor's degree this fiscal year, we have a lot of those, try again next year or when you have a Master's". Guess I'll push for the next "fiscal year"

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to get a hold of the right people but a common response I'm hearing is that "there's not much we can do for someone with just a bachelor's degree this fiscal year, we have a lot of those, try again next year or when you have a Master's". Guess I'll push for the next "fiscal year"

That is consistent with what everyone said. They are looking for applications from currently enrolled graduate students, so as a senior in undergrad you are not going to be able to apply right now.

I am applying to the HPSP with the AF and I am wondering if anyone knows if having a breast augmentation surgery would disqualify me from passing the medical evaluation?

I am applying to the HPSP with the AF and I am wondering if anyone knows if having a breast augmentation surgery would disqualify me from passing the medical evaluation?

It could, but more than likely it won't. Most medical branch waivers go through for things that would never get waived for line officers.

M

I talked to a recruiter and as long as there is documentation for the surgery it will be fine and even if I did not have documentation, he said it could be waived. I was surprised to hear that!

I talked to a recruiter and as long as there is documentation for the surgery it will be fine and even if I did not have documentation, he said it could be waived. I was surprised to hear that!

I'm not, I didn't have time to look through the regs to give you a sure answer. Glad to hear it!

What do you know about tattoos? I have a small one on the back of my neck that I am not sure if I need to try and get removed before I go to MEPS...