PhD/PsyD Clinical Psychology PhD Programs with high acceptance rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YahYouBetcha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to apply to a PhD program in Clinical Psychology, but I am really intimidated by the fact that acceptance rates are so low (some schools only accept maybe 10 students out of 200-300!) Are there any programs with high acceptance rates (let's say 15% or above)?

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping to apply to a PhD program in Clinical Psychology, but I am really intimidated by the fact that acceptance rates are so low (some schools only accept maybe 10 students out of 200-300!) Are there any programs with high acceptance rates (let's say 15% or above)?

Thank you so much in advance!

The likelihood of you being accepted to a program is as much based on grades/scores/stats as it's based on research fit/match, so the actual % of applicants accepted may not be as important as how well you match w/ your POI.

I think UCCS has had relatively few applicants over the last few years (<150) and has accepted around 10 students each year (I think..?), placing their acceptance rage a little shy of 10% (high for a funded, PhD program), but their program is highly specialized in geropsychology, meaning that most applicants without geropsych background will have a harder time being accepted despite the relatively high acceptance rate. Also high acceptance rates can be a red flag of subpar training.

I suggest you find programs where you are competitive stats-wise and have a good fit w/ your mentor, and worry less about the acceptance rates.

The likelihood of you being accepted to a program is as much based on grades/scores/stats as it's based on research fit/match, so the actual % of applicants accepted may not be as important as how well you match w/ your POI.

I think UCCS has had relatively few applicants over the last few years (<150) and has accepted around 10 students each year (I think..?), placing their acceptance rage a little shy of 10% (high for a funded, PhD program), but their program is highly specialized in geropsychology, meaning that most applicants without geropsych background will have a harder time being accepted despite the relatively high acceptance rate. Also high acceptance rates can be a red flag of subpar training.

I suggest you find programs where you are competitive stats-wise and have a good fit w/ your mentor, and worry less about the acceptance rates.

UCCS does not accept around 10 students a year into their PhD program. It's more like 2-4, depending upon funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it probably depends on how you define "accept." UCCS has apparently accepted an average of just over 6 students per year over the past 7 years, with ~4 of those actually matriculating. Still, given their application numbers, that represents at/over 10% recently, although it looks like they've had a trend of significantly increasing numbers of people applying (I'm guessing they gained APA accreditation recently).

I don't know of any specific funded programs off-hand that have the acceptance rates in the 15+% range, but I'd suggest looking at programs located is less-"desirable" geographic locations. Basically, schools not on either of the coasts (particularly CA, NY, and surrounding areas) or in a city like Chicago are probably going to have fewer applications overall.

All that being said, as briarcliff pointed out, it all also comes down to your research match with your POI. High admission rates unfortunately aren't going to help someone whose interests don't align at all with those of the program.

http://www.unc.edu/~mjp1970/Admissions Rates.pdf

The answer is that although there are some respected programs with those rates, there are very few, fewer than you need to apply to generally to be successful. These numbers are a bit out of date as well, I believe for example Notre Dame has become much more competitive.

Given the idiosyncratic nature of the application process, I don't think this is a particularly useful metric to use when deciding where to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not pick your grad program based on acceptance %. There are so many things wrong with this approach. Sure, you could throw alliant and argosy into the mix, their acceptance rates are high, as long as you pony up the cash. But then, you will have a hard time finding a job and many people will not accept your degree. Pick based on quality of training and match with clinical/research interests. To be honest, you should be happy that the acceptance rates are so low, quality control if you ask me.

Reactions: 1 user
UCCS does not accept around 10 students a year into their PhD program. It's more like 2-4, depending upon funding.

You're right - I misspoke, but as AA said UCCS' acceptance rate has been 10%+ for the past few years, which is rare for an accredited program. Like I said though, I would imagine that their relatively specialized nature (geropsych) would make it more difficult for someone from a non-geropsych background to gain admission despite the 10%+ acceptance rates.

I don't know of any specific funded programs off-hand that have the acceptance rates in the 15+% range, but I'd suggest looking at programs located is less-"desirable" geographic locations. Basically, schools not on either of the coasts (particularly CA, NY, and surrounding areas) or in a city like Chicago are probably going to have fewer applications overall.

One good example of this is the University of North Dakota, which has a 17% acceptance rate over the last 11 years: http://arts-sciences.und.edu/psychology/clinical/refstats-2013-october.pdf

UND doesn't admit per lab though, so it's a little trickier of a situation. Research fit might not be enough there.

All that being said, as briarcliff pointed out, it all also comes down to your research match with your POI. High admission rates unfortunately aren't going to help someone whose interests don't align at all with those of the program.
just reiterating this great answer

Generally speaking, any decent program will have a low acceptance rate. The lowest rates tend to be in popular metropolitan areas. I think everyone on here would recommend that you look for fully funded and accredited programs. If you look in less popular areas in the country you will be more likely to find programs with less applicants.