Clinical Psychology Program count towards hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlrubeor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My school offers a Clinical Psychology program which is a supervised internship in which students interview and explore the therapeutic process with real patients with psychological disturbances/problems. My question is: would these hours count as clinical volunteering hours? Non-clinical? If not, where would they fit on my application?

Thanks
-M

Members don't see this ad.

this is clinical

You might want to be sure you have enough hours with more physically unwell patients

@Goro has a great list, but hospice, nursing home, PCP office, ED, etc
I say you need the experience to show your tolerance for the "ick" factor that we all deal with as docs
and also so you get a more comprehensive view of what most physicians do

that said I am of the opinion that applicants that demonstrate a real interest and aptitude for socioeconomic and mental health determinants of overall health, are more desirable

and even if they're not, I'll stand by the statement that this competency makes for better physicians in almost all specialties

Reactions: 1 user
I'd count it as real patient contact experience.

Hello all! My school offers a Clinical Psychology program which is a supervised internship in which students interview and explore the therapeutic process with real patients with psychological disturbances/problems. My question is: would these hours count as clinical volunteering hours? Non-clinical? If not, where would they fit on my application?

Thanks
-M

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks
-M
These are clinical pt hours as you are directly working with pts. Not volunteer.

I'd agree it's clinical.

Whether or not it's volunteering is a different story. I did a field experience in the ED for a semester. It was part of a volunteering program, but in my case I was doing it for graduate credit and paying tuition. Not really sure where that fits honestly.