Clinical publishing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aklvkk

C&H85
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being published in a medical magazine (e.g. writing your own article on a health topic) count as significantly as being published in a medical journal?

...Now that I write it out, it seems kind of ridiculous to ask. I was asking around about a research internship at a hospital and previous participants were talking about "published." I asked what/where they were published and they pulled out a magazine; it didn't seem like a journal because the articles were mainly concerned on talking about health issues rather than on actual studies.
It seems like that would count as a pretty big achievement, but I'm guessing it's not really the same caliber as being part of an actual study. Is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

It's interesting but I wouldn't classify it as the same as a research article/clinical study. It can still go on your CV though.

Reactions: 1 user
it's not in the same league as peer-reviewed publications, but noteworthy in it's own right. How many people can say that they've published anything???

Does being published in a medical magazine (e.g. writing your own article on a health topic) count as significantly as being published in a medical journal?

...Now that I write it out, it seems kind of ridiculous to ask. I was asking around about a research internship at a hospital and previous participants were talking about "published." I asked what/where they were published and they pulled out a magazine; it didn't seem like a journal because the articles were mainly concerned on talking about health issues rather than on actual studies.
It seems like that would count as a pretty big achievement, but I'm guessing it's not really the same caliber as being part of an actual study. Is that right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it's not in the same league as peer-reviewed publications, but noteworthy in it's own right. How many people can say that they've published anything???

Hope you don't mind the quick hijack, but would you recommend listing non-academic publications? I have published a significant number of fiction pieces (some for money, some for credit). My letter writers have all found them interesting, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be absurd to list them. I was thinking of putting them all under the same activity, then putting my peer-reviewed stuff as separate items.

Yup, that's where I'd put it.

Hope you don't mind the quick hijack, but would you recommend listing non-academic publications? I have published a significant number of fiction pieces (some for money, some for credit). My letter writers have all found them interesting, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be absurd to list them. I was thinking of putting them all under the same activity, then putting my peer-reviewed stuff as separate items.

Reactions: 3 users
It's cool and interesting, but different. I would list it, but not try to play it up as an academic publication. Celebrate it in its own right!