Clinical research vs. lab research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i have a good opportunity to do clinical research. My question is, do med school like to see that we did lab research or is clinical research more important since we are after all interested in practicing medicine not conducting lab work?

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you think you will enjoy more. Doesn't matter for med school.

Thank you for the response. Anymore input anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they care; what's more important is what you get out of it, and that you're able to discuss it in detail and with enthusiasm. So you should pick something you'll like. Also if you're planning on doing research in teh future as an MD, they mostly are involved with clinical/translational research so you might want to consider that. If you're planning on going MD/PhD you may want to do more basic science research. Not that it really matters at this point, but you can work it into your "future plans" discussion, and you'll know if you like one versus the other.

If you do the one you like more, you'll end up more involved in it and be able to talk about it more knowledgeably and enthusiastically in your interviews.

I have done both but I get more immediate satisfaction out of the clinical research. Both are important and are viewed as valuable to adcoms, but if you want more exposure to what MDs do in terms of research, you'll probably get more out of clinical research. I'm obviously biased. Do what makes you tick.