Clinical Rotation Question on GSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, any of you had your rotation where you learn to fix up humans who show up to your vet clinic with a gun shot wound (or knife wound)?

I was just thinking how every bad guy or misunderstood hero shows up at a vet to be patched up and I don't remember any courses on this in vet school so figured it must be something you practice in rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
We learned a bit about in forensics (an elective).

Hey, any of you had your rotation where you learn to fix up humans who show up to your vet clinic with a gun shot wound (or knife wound)?

I was just thinking how every bad guy or misunderstood hero shows up at a vet to be patched up and I don't remember any courses on this in vet school so figured it must be something you practice in rotations.
hmm now that you mention it, that seems to be missing from my rotation schedule. i'd better get in touch with the coordinator and let her know that we have a major gap in our learning!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that in post-apocalyptic scenarios, all the human docs have already been zombified, and only the vets are left. Maybe vets are just better trained in how not to get bitten.

Reactions: 6 users
It seems that in post-apocalyptic scenarios, all the human docs have already been zombified, and only the vets are left. Maybe vets are just better trained in how not to get bitten.
Zombies come into hospitals and primary care clinics first to seek alleviation of their pre-turn symptoms and many physicians no doubt volunteer to aid with the outbreak and get taken down. Thus, in the zombie apocalypse, vets are our only hope. Well, vets and @jdh71 if he ever leaves his bunker.

Reactions: 3 users
Zombies come into hospitals and primary care clinics first to seek alleviation of their pre-turn symptoms and many physicians no doubt volunteer to aid with the outbreak and get taken down. Thus, in the zombie apocalypse, vets are our only hope. Well, vets and @jdh71 if he ever leaves his bunker.
Life goal: obtain invitation to said bunker
I'm hoping the apocalypse doesn't occur until after I have acquired more useful skills, therefore increasing my chances of receiving an invitation

Life goal: obtain invitation to said bunker
I'm hoping the apocalypse doesn't occur until after I have acquired more useful skills, therefore increasing my chances of receiving an invitation
I'm hoping it doesn't occur until I finish my own bunker.

In many ways :shifty:
3972060.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

I'll leave the bunker for hawt chicks (someone will need to take the responsibility to repopulate while the rest of you die appropriately for lack of preps) and BBQ brisket. If you aren't one or the other forget about it.

I will take out whoever needs it between the the hawt chick or the BBQ but I don't plan to be out long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

@jdh71 already has a longstanding zombie apocalypse invite at our cabin on an island in remote northern MN. No way am I letting the last remaining MD leave the bunker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know if eating zombies turns people into them? Perhaps you can BBQ hawt zombie chicks but you just have to prepare them carefully like blowfish. Then jdh could have it all...

As to vets attending to GSWs, I think maybe as long as it was a competent vet that is used to applying medical knowledge to new situations on a regular basis, an educated guess on how to treat it properly would be enough to keep a person alive. I know the vets that I have worked for were presented with wounds/species etc that they had never dealt with before and managed to work out at least how to stabilize based off common sense and the ability to comprehend info from a book if they happened to find info there. You should do some research into how often this actually happens and the outcomes, SOV! :)

This isn't the lounge...
every thread doesn't have to devolve into zombies....

I am talking real TV shows and movies here, not some mythical zombies.

Do we know if eating zombies turns people into them? Perhaps you can BBQ hawt zombie chicks but you just have to prepare them carefully like blowfish. Then jdh could have it all...

As to vets attending to GSWs, I think maybe as long as it was a competent vet that is used to applying medical knowledge to new situations on a regular basis, an educated guess on how to treat it properly would be enough to keep a person alive. I know the vets that I have worked for were presented with wounds/species etc that they had never dealt with before and managed to work out at least how to stabilize based off common sense and the ability to comprehend info from a book if they happened to find info there. You should do some research into how often this actually happens and the outcomes, SOV! :)

If I can fix bullet holes in a shihtzu, a person should be NBD. Other than the increased ickiness of all things human. I might puke in the surgical site.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm doing an externship on non-human primates. Should be fairly straightforward to translate it, since people are just big monkeys.

Last edited:
I'm bad with humans. Had a student almost pass out on me once and I didn't even know a normal human HR....oops?

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't the lounge...
every thread doesn't have to devolve into zombies....

I am talking real TV shows and movies here, not some mythical zombies.

Ahem. You're asking about vets fixing GSWs in people and trying to say it's a serious question? C'mon now. That's not our job.

It's just penetrating trauma. You fix it like any trauma in the really big picture. Who cares what species it is.

Only GSW I've had to deal with, though, was on necropsy. In the abdomen, clipped the spleen, through the stomach, winged the duodenum enough to open it up, through two liver lobes, through the diaphragm, through two lung lobes, out the chest. Dog lived long enough to make it to surgery, where it arrested.

Ahem. You're asking about vets fixing GSWs in people and trying to say it's a serious question? C'mon now. That's not our job.

It's just penetrating trauma. You fix it like any trauma in the really big picture. Who cares what species it is.

Only GSW I've had to deal with, though, was on necropsy. In the abdomen, clipped the spleen, through the stomach, winged the duodenum enough to open it up, through two liver lobes, through the diaphragm, through two lung lobes, out the chest. Dog lived long enough to make it to surgery, where it arrested.
did you seriously think i was being serious? seriously?

did you seriously think i was being serious? seriously?
Yes. Didn't you see that I want you to do a clinic to clinic study asking vets if they have treated a human for GSW in the back room in secret and if they managed to keep that patient alive?! :)

I think we need to start talking to vet school curriculum committees, and persuade them of the necessity of a Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness for Veterinarians elective. Who's going to help me write the letters? :heckyeah:

I think we need to start talking to vet school curriculum committees, and persuade them of the necessity of a Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness for Veterinarians elective. Who's going to help me write the letters? :heckyeah:
:hello: