Clinical Social Work and pharmacology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

Do clinical mental health social working have to take a pharmacology class and understand pharmacology even though they dot prescribe medication?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program. I'm currently taking a psychpathology class which covers a little bit about pharmacology but not much...my program does offer it as an elective though

Reactions: 1 user
It's certainly not required by the CSWE, however, from what I've seen, it's a popular topic for continuing education credits and many agencies recommend or even require employees to attend these trainings.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As the above posters said, it's an elective at my program and it's briefly covered in my Assesment and Diagnosis class.

Are you interested in the subject?

How this is an inexpensive way??

Unless your agency is paying for the course, there is usually a fee to attend, and not a little one either.
For example, a post I just read said to attend from 8:45 til 4:30 costs $99.00. Although group rates are almost always available, I'm not sure how much it takes off.

Unless your agency is paying for the course, there is usually a fee to attend, and not a little one either.
For example, a post I just read said to attend from 8:45 til 4:30 costs $99.00. Although group rates are almost always available, I'm not sure how much it takes off.

I'd actually say that $100 for a full-day workshop and about 8 hours' worth of CEs isn't bad at all (especially if it's in person rather than online), assuming it's quality instruction. That's all relative, though, of course.

Heck, at the conferences I attend, costs can range from $25-100+ just for a single CE session, which at most are about 3 hours. This is in addition to a $200-400 general registration fee.

Wow...well this was one offered through the school of social work at my university, perhaps it's discounted for student/teacher's sake? Wonder where all that money goes...and how can I make it goes to me? lol

It was an elective at my school (NYU). I loved it. Did you know that they are considering letting LCSW prescribe meds in some states? I think Hawaii may be the first one to do it... (no joke).
As LMSW or LCSW we have to do continuing ed anyway, so you might as well do what you love and take the psychopharm workshops!

It was an elective at my school (NYU). I loved it. Did you know that they are considering letting LCSW prescribe meds in some states? I think Hawaii may be the first one to do it... (no joke).
As LMSW or LCSW we have to do continuing ed anyway, so you might as well do what you love and take the psychopharm workshops!

Really!? That's a bit unsettling.