Clinical Trials and Medical Rep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careercompass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in both clinical research and the medical rep field.
Is there a field that is like a 'clinical trial rep'...where we can spread word of clinical trials to different departments? Or is that already included in being a medical rep? I'm not sure I want to go into
sales necessarily, but to be able to spread word about clinical trials and make a difference that way. I also don't think I would be drawn to being a clinical research coordinator or clinical research associate. That's why I'm asking if there's a position in the middle, like clinical study representative. Is there such a thing, or is it a matter of choosing one side? Also, would a MPH degree be a stepping stone to such a position? Or like a masters in biomedical technology (with business acumen included)...I would appreciate advice in the right direction.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical rep is more of a sales job.

The job you're more interested in is in clinical development. Clinical trials are also rigidly designed by the clinical design teams (a combination of PIs at the sponsoring company and the institute(s)). These folks are MDs. With some help from biostatisticians (PhDs).

Medical rep is more of a sales job.

The job you're more interested in is in clinical development. Clinical trials are also rigidly designed by the clinical design teams (a combination of PIs at the sponsoring company and the institute(s)). These folks are MDs. With some help from biostatisticians (PhDs).

Thank you for your reply.
What types of positions does clinical development entail? What credentials does it require? If I have a Bachelors of Science, how can I enter this field with little experience?

Thank you for your reply.
What types of positions does clinical development entail? What credentials does it require? If I have a Bachelors of Science, how can I enter this field with little experience?

For leading the design of a clinical trial/development, a MD. With a bachelors, the entry position would be a clinical trial study manager or similar.