Clinical vs basic science research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magic168

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be competitive for ortho, do you think that there is an advantage to one or the other? Curious minds would like to know! :D

Members don't see this ad.

...if it is in the field you're applying to (here, ortho)
...if it is with someone who is known in the field
...if it gets you positive letters
...if it gets you published

Other than that, I've never heard of any effects.

NOTE: I am not a resident, nor on a resident selection committee. However, I have worked with many ortho faculty and residents who did resident selection, and what I've written is what they told me.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like many of the doctors that I've encoutnered have tried to push me towards basic science research, and I was just curious about whether that was due to their own agenda or if they were just trying to make me a better applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that, traditionally, basic science work takes a fairly substantial committment and can be quite time consuming before actually reaching the point where results start to appear and a published paper is finally within sight.

You might say that in many cases clinical research offers the possibility of much quicker endpoints. With that in mind, students who have pursued basic science research can sometimes be perceived as more committed to the subject matter, as opposed to the student who does a random chart review and churns out a quick paper before application season.

-- not that either form of research is better . . . just speculating on what might be stronger for an applicant --

A question of hope or ignorance...

I've published a couple of papers since I started medschool however they were when i was interested in neurosurgery, one is basic science and the other is clinical research. Are these papers out the window when applying to orthopedics? And if so would it be better to sink into a heavy project now, early in M3 that may or may not be published by application time or sink into a few easy clinical studies that will most likely get published (though low impact factor and possibly just be case studies)? Any comment appreciated!

A question of hope or ignorance...

I've published a couple of papers since I started medschool however they were when i was interested in neurosurgery, one is basic science and the other is clinical research. Are these papers out the window when applying to orthopedics? And if so would it be better to sink into a heavy project now, early in M3 that may or may not be published by application time or sink into a few easy clinical studies that will most likely get published (though low impact factor and possibly just be case studies)? Any comment appreciated!

I'm a student, but from what 3 residency directors and my own chair person told me, I think your research will be fine. Neurosurg research has enough cross over with ortho, especially spine, even if you get above C1. Everyone also tells me that as long as you have research and have shown dedication, then thats all they would like to see. Would they like to see ortho research? Sure, they would, but if thats what you got, then its fine too. I did substantial research in pathology on GI stuff, and everyone I have talked to said it was fine. My residency director just had me do a case report in ortho just to let everyone know that yes I was dedicated to Ortho, although my more substatial research in path really showed that I knew how to do research.

Good luck. Ask your own residency director or chair what they think.

sscooterguy

First, I'd like to second what Dunce said - basic science almost always requires a much greater time commitment than clincial research. Some will argue that it takes a lot of effort to recruit subjects and so forth. But on the whole, most clinical papers are chart reviews of some sort, and these can be done quickly.

As an example, to my chagrin, at my last job, the new intern got his 1st publication after 4 months on the job, when I had to work for 3 years before I got my first. His was clinical, mine was basic science. Neither was 'better,' and both are needed. Clinical may be more readily understandable to a clinician, or he may find that basic science stuff impressive. In the end, it's all a wash.

OP - Profs may push you towards basic science because they want the cheap labor. As with any job opportunity, your boss's motivations are not only different than your's, but they may be counter-productive to your's. Understand this before commiting to anything.

Jack P - Look back my post about the field of research. It helps if it's in your field of interest, but it doesn't hurt if you did something different. That 'low impact factor' crap is for guys shooting to get tenure before they turn 35 (assuming you're producing quality work). Do what you can in the time you have left, but don't kill yourself over impact factors and what journal it's in. You're already ahead of the game.

I'll tell you, I'm all about ortho. But if tomorrow I was, say, on the psych ward, and I had the opportunity to do some chart review, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Why? Because when I'm in that interview chair, I'll have no problem telling the PD that I saw something that I thought was relevant and should be known to the medical community. The more times you do you publish, the better you get at it, regardless of the subject matter.

I've got another research question somewhat related to this topic. I've been doing some clinical research with an orthopod and a PhD, but it looks like it won't be published before I start applying to residency. So anyways, I was thinking of asking the MD if I could do a case study with him. Is there a better way of asking him then "I just want something quick and easy so I can use it for my CV"? I probably will either way, I just don't want to sound like an idiot.

I've got another research question somewhat related to this topic. I've been doing some clinical research with an orthopod and a PhD, but it looks like it won't be published before I start applying to residency. So anyways, I was thinking of asking the MD if I could do a case study with him. Is there a better way of asking him then "I just want something quick and easy so I can use it for my CV"? I probably will either way, I just don't want to sound like an idiot.
Do you have anything else on your CV? If not, then just bring it up to your orthopod. They know you got to look good for your residency app. If they're interested in you doing well, then they shouldn't have a problem contributing to your professional development (and use those words).